5E 5E Sunless Citadel - CG

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
There is no cave. There are a set of rough hewn stairs leading down into the darkness.
The rope looks new and sturdy. It will easily hold two people and getting down would be trivial by holding onto the rope and bracing your feet against the wall.
There are some handholds carved into the stone, which would make for a slightly more difficult climb down. [Athletics DC 10 w/ advantage]
 

Obeliske

Villager
(I'm assuming the rope and stairs lead in the same direction? If not I'll take the rope)

Tordak grumbles to himself about people always having to take the hard way and proceeds down the stairs.
 

purplerook

Villager
Ara, High Elf Wizard 1

After looking at the rope and the ravine side, Ara is comfortable that no one will need his assistance. Ara watches the first member of the party begin to descend.

Turning away from the ledge, Ara calls Who back and the two of them scan the surrounding area., When the last party member has descended, Ara descends the rope to the ledge. Peering into the dark area with the stairs. He realizes that Who will not be able to fly and so be vulnerable in the tight confines. Ara dismisses Who and prepares for the descent. He pulls a small piece of leather from his pouch and performs a number of gestures as he chants an incantation. Next, he pulls his long bow from his back and holds it in his hand.

OOC: [MENTION=6763011]Obeliske[/MENTION], my read of Charwoman Gene's text is 1) rope down to ledge covered with bones, and then 2) from the ledge stairs leading down into the darkness.
[MENTION=3552]Char[/MENTION]woman_Gene, I am assuming that Ara can substitute Acrobatics (Dex) for Athletics (str) in the DC10 with Advantage to go down. Also assuming that it would be a similar DC to ascend in case someone cut the rope.

Action: Cast Mage Armor, AC increases to 16=13 (Mage Armor) + 3 (Dex)


[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]Ara, Level 1 - Male High Elf Wizard -
HP: 7/7, AC: 13
Initiative: +3, Speed: 30ft, Senses: Passive Perception 12, Darkvision <60' Dark is dim, Dim is light
Saving Throws Str -1, Con +1, Dex + 3, *Int +5, *Wis +2, Chr 0
Abilities:
By Popular Demand
Fey Ancestry - adv vs. charmed, immune sleep

Familiar Who, Owl
Perception +3, Stealth +3, Passive Per 13, Darkvision <120' Dark is dim, Dim is light
AC 11, HP 1
Flyby: provokes no opportunity attack when it flies out of enemy reach
Keen Hearing and Sight: Advantage on Perception checks that rely on hearing or sight

Offense:
Longbow: +5 1d8+3
Short Sword: +5 1d6+3

Spells
C - Green Flaming Blade, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion,Prestidigitation
1st (1/2) - Mage Armor, Silent Image, Shield, Sleep
[/SBLOCK]
 

TallIan

Explorer
Edgar, Paladin 1

"Care to scout ahead?" Edgar asked Kuhl, "I'll wait here, if you run into trouble get back here or call for help."

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 16
Initiative: +0
HP: 12/12 (HD: 1/1d10)

Offense:
Halberd +5 10ft 1d10+3S
Halberd (Bonus action): +5 5ft 1d4+3B
Shortsword: +5 5ft 1d6+3P
Javelin: +5 30/120 1d6+3P

Devine Sense 3/3
Lay on Hands 5/5[/SBLOCK]
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Kuhl looks at Edgar with a wry smile, uncertain if he is being treated as a servant or a bodyguard. Or a target? Either way, Kuhl is fine. He unties a torch from his backpack, and sets it alight, the dim glow radiating out from him before he again picks up his staff.

"Very well," he says and heads off into the darkness. "Follow when you feel ready."


OOC: Torches left: 9.

I'm not sure if you thought better stealth was possible; it's not from me. Kuhl is human, and I think no one has the Light cantrip.
 

purplerook

Villager
Ara High Elf Wizard 1

Ara speaks up, “Hold a minute, Kuhl. This is no place to go scouting ahead.” He continues ”Even Tordak's and my vision down here puts us at a disadvantage without some source of light. We need torches or a light spell, and scouting with a torch is asking to be ambushed.”

“We have come here hastily. Let us take a few minutes to sort out a marching order and discuss the various roles. Edgar, Roy, and Tordak; you three have a lot of experience in fighting, perhaps, one of you can suggest how we might proceed.” Ara finishes. He looks expectantly toward the three heavily armored and armed party members.

OOC: All my understanding is that even with Darkvision, a creature has disadvantage without some source of light. So, possibly advantage on stealth, but disadvantage on Perception.
PHB 185. “..dim light as if it were bright light , and in darkness as if it were dim light.”
PHB 183. “In a lightly obscured area, such as dim light,... creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.”
 

TallIan

Explorer
Edgar, Paladin 1

OOC: Sorry that was a total brain fart on my part, somehow I forgot about the "...leading into darkness bit." Too late to edit now, so I guess I'll just have to lean into it <facepalm>


"You are correct Ara, I owe you an apology Kuhl, I am not used to fighting in tunnels, nor am I used to not having scouts. This lack of information is disconcerting, I am happy to take my place at the front but perhaps Tordak could suggest the best coarse for fighting in tunnels.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 16
Initiative: +0
HP: 12/12 (HD: 1/1d10)

Offense:
Halberd +5 10ft 1d10+3S
Halberd (Bonus action): +5 5ft 1d4+3B
Shortsword: +5 5ft 1d6+3P
Javelin: +5 30/120 1d6+3P

Devine Sense 3/3
Lay on Hands 5/5[/SBLOCK]
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
"Very well," says Kuhl, nodding an acknowledgement to Edgar. "There will be no strays from the herd."

"I am happy to lead, or to follow. Both will end up in the same place."
 

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
A sandy ledge overlooks a subterranean gulf of darkness to the west. The ledge is wide but rough. Sand, rocky debris, and the bones of small animals cover it. A rough-hewn stairwell zigs and zags down the side of the ledge, descending into darkness.

A fortress emerges from the darkness. The subterranean citadel, though impressive, seems long forgotten, if the lightless windows,cracked crenellations, and leaning towers are any indication. All is quiet, though a cold breeze blows up from below, bringing with it the scent of dust and a faint trace of rot.

The narrow stairs empty into a small courtyard, apparently the top of what was once a crenellated battlement. The buried citadel has sunk so far into the earth that the battlement is now level with the surrounding floor. That floor stretches away to the north and south, composed of a layer of treacherous, crumbled masonry, which reaches to an unknown depth. To the west looms the surviving structure of what must be the Sunless Citadel. A tower stands on the west side of the courtyard. There is a wooden door set into the tower, looking like the only entrance.

OOC: Confirm the marching order is Edgar, Kuhl, Tordak, Ara?
 

purplerook

Villager
Ara High Elf Wizard 1

As the party forms up into a marching order and moves down into the cavern, Ara takes position at the rear of the party, with a bow in hand. The situation is both familiar and strange to Ara. Familiar in being a part of a small party sneaking and strange in that it is a group of noisy humans and the danger is more than a poor grade from the tactics instructor. Ara silently thinks "Sensei was right, I have a lot to experience before I am ready to learn more."

As the party leaves the steps and enters into the courtyard, Ara feels that this space is open enough to take advantage of his familiar - Who. Ara pauses for a few seconds and silently summons Who. An Owl appears in the cavern about 30' to the North of Ara, and silently glides to the South (13). Who scans intently for any signs of trouble (13). Who begins slowly flying over the party. A few muffled wing beats, follow by a long silent glide.

OOC: The description makes it sounds like the floor stretches a significant distance (several hundred feet?) to the North and South. I am assuming that there is sufficient space - horizontal and vertical for Who to fly. If not, Who will pick a nearby spot and observe from there. Given the space, Who will fly a figure 8 around the party, with the loop centered on Ara.
Who Scouting
Who Scouting Perception - adv due to Keen Hearing and Sight: 2D20.HIGH(1)+3 = [7, 10]+3 = 13
Who Stealth
Who Stealth: 1D20+3 = [10]+3 = 13

[SBLOCK=Ara MiniStats]Ara, Level 1 - Male High Elf Wizard -
HP: 7/7, AC: 16 (Mage Armor)
Initiative: +3, Speed: 30ft, Senses: Passive Perception 12, Darkvision <60ft Dark is dim, Dim is light
Saving Throws Str -1, Con +1, Dex + 3, *Int +5, *Wis +2, Chr 0
Abilities:
By Popular Demand
Fey Ancestry - adv vs. charmed, immune sleep

Offense:
Longbow: +5 1d8+3
Short Sword: +5 1d6+3

Spells
C - Green Flaming Blade, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation
1st (1/2) - Mage Armor, Silent Image, Shield,Sleep
[/SBLOCK]
[SBLOCK=Who MiniStats]Familiar Who, Owl
Perception +3, Stealth +3, Passive Per 13, Darkvision <120ft Dark is dim, Dim is light
AC 11, HP 1
Flyby: provokes no opportunity attack when it flies out of enemy reach
Keen Hearing and Sight: Advantage on Perception checks that rely on hearing or sight
[/SBlock]
 

TallIan

Explorer
Edgar, Paladin 1

"That way, I guess." Edgar says, heading towards the tower with the only apparent way forward.

OOC: I'm more than happy for Edgar to lead, though if we do need stealth then maybe someone else.


[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 16
Initiative: +0
HP: 12/12 (HD: 1/1d10)

Offense:
Halberd +5 10ft 1d10+3S
Halberd (Bonus action): +5 5ft 1d4+3B
Shortsword: +5 5ft 1d6+3P
Javelin: +5 30/120 1d6+3P

Devine Sense 3/3
Lay on Hands 5/5[/SBLOCK]
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Kuhl advances with Edgar towards the door of the watch tower. There has been tell of goblins. He listens for their annoying squeaks.

Perception: [roll0].
 

purplerook

Villager
Ara High Elf Wizard

OOC: Ara is going to interpret the faint outline as a 10x10 square - probable trap - and not an invisible individual. Ignore me if my assumption is incorrect. BTW, this is where I am really missing Creamsteak's rogue.
Ara investigating the 10x10 outline in front of the door: 1D20+5 = [19]+5 = 24

Ara sees the outline once Kuhl points it out. "Good Catch Kuhl." Ara says "I am no expert on traps, but I can take a look."

Ara cautiously moves forward and investigates the 10x10 area. Meanwhile Who continues his slow scan of the area.

[SBLOCK=Ara]Ara, Level 1 - Male High Elf Wizard -
HP: 7/7, AC: 16 (Mage Armor)
Initiative: +3, Speed: 30ft, Senses: Passive Perception 12, Darkvsion <60ft Dark is dim, Dim is light
Saving Throws Str -1, Con +1, Dex + 3, *Int +5, *Wis +2, Chr 0
Abilities:
By Popular Demand
Fey Ancestry - adv vs. charmed, immune sleep

Offense:
Longbow: +5 1d8+3
Short Sword: +5 1d6+3

Spells
C - Green Flaming Blade, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion,Prestidigitation
1st (1/2) - Mage Armor, Silent Image, Shield,Sleep
[/SBLOCK]
[SBLOCK=Who, Owl Familiar]Familiar Who, Owl
Perception +3, Stealth +3, Passive Per 13, Darkvision <120ft Dark is dim, Dim is light
AC 11, HP 1
Flyby: provokes no opportunity attack when it flies out of enemy reach
Keen Hearing and Sight: Advantage on Perception checks that rely on hearing or sight
[/SBlock]
 

Advertisement

Top