D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Deities (Part 6: Celtic Deities) Lugh Lámfada Advances!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Daghdha 18
Arawn 18
Brigantia 18
Diancecht 15 - 2 = 13
Lugh Lámfada 14
Manannan mac Lir 13
The Morrigan 21 + 1 = 22
Nuada 4
Oghma 15

This guy on tumblr, ad-ciu, has done a great series of posts about Celtic gods and how they should be represented in D&D. Among other things, he points out that the actual evil god on the list is Dian Cecht. After Nuadu loses his hand and the kingship (because kings of the Tuatha need to be physically whole), Dian Cecht can only offer a prosthetic, which isn't good enough. Then Dian Cecht's son, Miach, heals the missing hand of Nuadu. So Dian Cecht kills his own son with several blows to the head, intentionally killing Miach so that not even Dian Cecht could hope to heal the final wound. Airmed, Dian Cecht's daughter, mourns over the grave of Miach from which sprout three hundred and sixty five healing herbs. Airmed orders the herbs by their function, but Dian Cecht mixes them up, and tosses them to the wind to confuse their uses.

In short Dian Cecht is a jerk of massive proportions.

EDIT: The individual posts aren't long, but if you're short on time, the conclusions are in this post. I really feel this guy should make a product and put it on the DM's Guild.
I came close to a Celtic Studies Minor in College. The"Celtic Pantheon" in D&D is such hot garbage.

I love it.

Does anyone know what cockqmanie source Jim Ward would have used to set up this Frankenstein abomination against philology?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
This guy on tumblr, ad-ciu, has done a great series of posts about Celtic gods and how they should be represented in D&D. Among other things, he points out that the actual evil god on the list is Dian Cecht. After Nuadu loses his hand and the kingship (because kings of the Tuatha need to be physically whole), Dian Cecht can only offer a prosthetic, which isn't good enough. Then Dian Cecht's son, Miach, heals the missing hand of Nuadu. So Dian Cecht kills his own son with several blows to the head, intentionally killing Miach so that not even Dian Cecht could hope to heal the final wound. Airmed, Dian Cecht's daughter, mourns over the grave of Miach from which sprout three hundred and sixty five healing herbs. Airmed orders the herbs by their function, but Dian Cecht mixes them up, and tosses them to the wind to confuse their uses.

In short Dian Cecht is a jerk of massive proportions.
Thanks for sharing this link. I love this stuff.

It also matches well with my current setting where clerics/priests of any god can be any alignment. So a god of healing could have some (or even many!) "chaotic evil" followers and the differences in judging behavior in terms of the moral framework the god ostensibly provides is up to mortals and their institutions to figure out.

I can totally imagine one priest of Diancecht justifying their actions with that story while another calls it apocryphal and not canon because x,y,z.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I will also mention, Arawn is listed as "Lawful Good / Lawful Evil" in the link I provided. That's because there's a bit in Arawn's story, where this guy Pwyll has his hounds eat a stag which Arawn's hounds actually brought down (a big no-no in Welsh culture at the time), and Arawn decides a just pennance is for Pwyll to take Arawn's place for a year and vice versa (Arawn uses magic to make each look like the other). This means Pwyll has to deal with this guy Hafgan, whom Arawn's been having trouble with. If Arawn set up the hounds-eating-stag situation to get out of having to deal with Hafgan, that's pretty evil; if not (and there's no indication in the story that he did), then he seems like a pretty good guy.

So, my thinking is Diancecht is easily the worst guy on the list.

I believe there was an error. Post 179 continued from 177, not form 178.

The correct scores at the moment should be:

The Daghdha 19
Arawn 18
Brigantia 16
Diancecht 11
Lugh Lámfada 14
Manannan mac Lir 13
The Morrigan 25
Oghma 15

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
The Daghdha 19
Arawn 19
Brigantia 16
Diancecht 11 - 2 = 9
Lugh Lámfada 14
Manannan mac Lir 14
The Morrigan 23 + 1 = 24
Oghma 13

Late to the voting, but perfect as my group picked the Celtic pantheon for our current year+ campaign. After some research, had to fix some of the D&D names, but these all look familiar! With that said...

Omand

Hero
The Daghdha 19
Arawn 19 - 2 = 17
Brigantia 16
Diancecht 9
Lugh Lámfada 14
Manannan mac Lir 14
The Morrigan 24
Oghma 13 + 1 = 14

Remove ads