• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part IV: Clerics)

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Or even just non-good war gods like Tempus.
I mean, paladins don't have to be any particular alignment in 5E. You can have neutral and evil paladins. But for Ares as portrayed in D&D, barbarians seem much more appropriate as followers, but lack any divine powers. And even if you made a cleric-spell-using subclass, the one thing they do is Rage, and you can't cast spells while Raging.

So, War domain Clerics are my go-to for those Ares "holy warriors."

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I mean, paladins don't have to be any particular alignment in 5E. You can have neutral and evil paladins. But for Ares as portrayed in D&D, barbarians seem much more appropriate as followers, but lack any divine powers. And even if you made a cleric-spell-using subclass, the one thing they do is Rage, and you can't cast spells while Raging.

Well I mean, you can always carve out an exception in the subclass. "While raging you may still cast cantrips that deal damage. Add your rage damage bonus to you successful cantrip attacks." Something like that, but wordsmithed a bit better

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Grave Domain 11
Knowledge Domain 21
Light Domain 9
Tempest Domain 13
War Domain 9

It's hard at this point; these are all the cream of the crop. Might as well be strategic

Undrave

Legend

Isn't there a Zealot barbarian subclass?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
The top five are my own personal Top Five!

If I had to group them in order of preference, I would stack them thusly:
War < Light < Grave < Knowledge < Tempest

But I'm gonna be happy no matter which one comes out on top.

Remove ads