D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part VI: Fighters)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I'm just happy we finally have a Survivor thread where the objectively best subclass won, as I'm sure we can all agree!
Meh.

It's not awful. I'm not upset about the win the way I would've been if Circle of the Land had won for Druid, or if Champion had won this round.

But I'm not happy about it either.

Battle Master, to my eyes, is to the hypothetical "5e Warlord" what the Eldritch Knight is to the Wizard. A poor, pale imitation of the real deal.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
No, it is not objectively the best. (My subjective opinion is that) Echo and Rune Knight are mechanical better and several others are more fun to play. I consider the Battlemaster to be one of the more boring subclasses. You can have whatever subjective opinion you like, but don't mistake it for fact.
Meh.

It's not awful. I'm not upset about the win the way I would've been if Circle of the Land had won for Druid, or if Champion had won this round.

But I'm not happy about it either.

Battle Master, to my eyes, is to the hypothetical "5e Warlord" what the Eldritch Knight is to the Wizard. A poor, pale imitation of the real deal.
Guess I should have posted an "/s". It just seems like in some of these threads, whoever is a real fan of the eventual winning subclass comes on at the end to say this "proved" that their favorite subclass is "actually" the best. Which it does not.

Heck, some days my "favorite subclass" in the morning is the Path of the Morrigan Barbarian, the Variant Battlemaster Fighter at noon, and the Community Domain Cleric in the evening!

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Definitely not LOL! I could have voted down BM and kept EK alive. A few more votes in the other direction and EK might have been the upset win...
I had fun with that one as well -- my EK was an aristocratic type, Duelist-style, but he was also in a lot of Upper Class clubs, all of which had some occult trappings. He learned a lot of little magic as a consequence, but nothing Earth-shattering. Making him an EK instead of a half-caster made a lot of sense!

Aldarc

Legend
Then you will understand the frustration of being told to pick the Battle Master when you tell someone you want to play a Warlord.
But that is also why I picked the Battle Master. I want to see the Fighter more like that. I want a Warlord in 5e that is more like that. It's at least a step in the right direction of providing a more tactical martial.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
But that is also why I picked the Battle Master. I want to see the Fighter more like that. I want a Warlord in 5e that is more like that. It's at least a step in the right direction of providing a more tactical martial.
That's what I originally said:

Remove ads