D&D 5E 5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part XI: Rangers)

niklinna

satisfied?
Beast Master 20
Deep Stalker 18
Drakewarden 22
Fey Wanderer 18
Gloom Stalker 17
Guardian 20
Horizon Walker 20
Hunter 22
Monster Slayer 20
Primeval Guardian 20
Skirmisher 16
Swarmkeeper 20
Wanderer 20

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Beast Master 20
Deep Stalker 18
Drakewarden 22
Fey Wanderer 18
Gloom Stalker 18
Guardian 20
Horizon Walker 20
Hunter 22
Monster Slayer 18
Primeval Guardian 20
Skirmisher 16
Swarmkeeper 20
Wanderer 20

Skayaq

Explorer
Beast Master 20
Deep Stalker 18
Drakewarden 23
Fey Wanderer 18
Gloom Stalker 18
Guardian 20
Horizon Walker 18
Hunter 22
Monster Slayer 18
Primeval Guardian 20
Skirmisher 16
Swarmkeeper 20
Wanderer 20

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Sorry for the delay; I was finishing up the last three episodes of The Midnight Club.

Yeah, I went back and forth with the Guardian, Seeker, and the Stalker. Because like other UA playtests, things get...weird.

What are the Guardian and Wanderer compared to Primal Guardian and Fey Wanderer?

Edit: found the article. Seems almost like apples and oranges.
See, these three subclasses are a part of a rewrite of the 2015 Ranger re-write (Unearthed Arcana #8, released on 9 Sept 2015), which refers to them as "Paths" instead of the usual "Conclaves." The goal of this Unearthed Arcana was to make a more powerful ranger class that focused more on having a spirit animal companion instead of being a half-caster. It was written in response to feedback on the Ranger being underpowered, and lacking the animal companion of previous editions. And like everything else Ranger-related, it...wasn't very well-received.

Since I made the decision to include all subclasses, and these are technically subclasses of an Unearthed Arcana class revision...I was kind of in a corner. In the end, I decided to include them both for the sake of completeness, and also to invite some discussion about the Unearthed Arcana 2015 Ranger playtest. These three subclasses depend on the Spirit Path ability of the UA playtest, and were only described for the first 5 levels of the class (instead of all 20 levels), so they're missing the 6th level abilities and up...but here they are. It was only the 8th UA written for 5E, and WotC was still trying to figure out the playtest format...I thought it would be fun to dig it out, dust it off, and give it a read again after 7 years.

Those of you who voted for/against these three subclasses: let us know what you liked (or didn't) about them. I genuinely want to know! The Ranger gets so much hate on these boards, even after the WotC developers go through the extra trouble to completely rebuild it...I'd like to learn why. I mean, it's not like it's anything ridiculous like a bard.

Hopefully this is the weirdest one. There will be other UA content in the remaining Survivor threads, but this one is probably the one that's gonna feel the most "off" compared to the others. Well, except for maybe Strixhaven...

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Beast Master 20
Deep Stalker 18
Drakewarden 23
Fey Wanderer 18
Gloom Stalker 18
Guardian 20
Horizon Walker 18
Hunter 22
Monster Slayer 16
Primeval Guardian 20
Skirmisher 16
Swarmkeeper 21 - I like my Snow White Ranger with her swarm of blue birds
Wanderer 20

Beast Master 20
Deep Stalker 18
Drakewarden 23 - 2 = 21.. Drake is overrated..or something..
Fey Wanderer 18
Gloom Stalker 18
Guardian 20
Horizon Walker 18
Hunter 22
Monster Slayer 16
Primeval Guardian 20
Skirmisher 16
Swarmkeeper 21 + 1 = 22..unusual (even by D&D standards) character concept.. I like..
Wanderer 20

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Beast Master 20
Deep Stalker 18
Drakewarden 21 + 1 = 22 Ezekiel is to dragons as flies are to...fruit. :p
Fey Wanderer 18
Gloom Stalker 18
Guardian 20
Horizon Walker 18
Hunter 22 - 2 = 20 Trimmin' the hedges
Monster Slayer 16
Primeval Guardian 20
Skirmisher 16
Swarmkeeper 21
Wanderer 20

Lycurgon

Adventurer
Beast Master 20
Deep Stalker 18 - 2 = 16
Drakewarden 22 + 1 = 23 Recently finished playing Netherdeep as a Kobold Drakewarden. Great subclass.

Fey Wanderer 18
Gloom Stalker 18
Guardian 20
Horizon Walker 18
Hunter 20
Monster Slayer 16
Primeval Guardian 20
Skirmisher 16
Swarmkeeper 22
Wanderer 20

Remove ads