D&D 5E 5E, The Edition Wars, and Shooting Ourselves in the Foot.

Will you be positive and refrain negativity about others' preferences?

Dausuul

Legend
What I mean by "It doesn't matter" is as far as the mechanics of the next edition are concerned. If what is said here has no impact on WotC's decisions, then all it accomplishes is at best wasting time and engaging in wishful thinking/speculation; at worst it accomplishes poisoning the well. Therefore most of the discussion is pointless to begin with. And if it's pointless, then the only thing that can come out is a net loss.

Where do you get "what is said here has no impact on WotC's decisions?" If WotC is soliciting community feedback, then the tenor of the community affects that feedback. Moreover, if WotC people are reading ENWorld threads (and we know they have done in the past), what is said in those threads may influence their thinking and hence their decisions.

No, Wizards is never going to say "The poll on ENWorld says we should embrace the d17! Guess we'd better call up the folks at Chessex and tell 'em to get cracking." But indirect influence is still influence.

Fans of 3E and 4E that aren't caught up in playstyle conflicts or mad at some company or any number of such things--already get along just fine. Some of them even play both. And a great deal of the ones that seem to not get along are doing mostly ok talking about serious differences in playstyle and such, but because of the sharp disagreements find themselves drug into these proxy conflicts on a regular basis.

I think this is true. I think it is even true that folk who detests 3E or 4E get along just fine with each other. One can have preferences but not worry much about how others feel about those preferences. Usually the nasty conflicts come when one side or the other can't stomach the existence of "x mechanic" or a playstyle that focuses in Y.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
See, you just attacked me.

I have expectations of what will happen when I sit down to play "D&D".
The 4E skill system directly undermines that and causes the experience to NOT meet the standards of what I consider to be "D&D". You have challenged my right to express that opinion. Therefore you have ATTACKED me.

No, I said that self absorbed people who refuse to talk civilly and insist that their rights to express their opinions somehow trumps the conventions that would help with civil discourse should be discouraged from doing so.

kinem

Adventurer
There are two problems that I see with 'staying positive'.

1. It's important to say what we don't want to see for there to be any chance of getting an overall game that we like.

For example, suppose that chicken and shrimp are being considered to add to a Ceaser salad that we will all eat. I like chicken OK, but I can't stand shrimp; perhaps I am allergic to it. I need to be able to say "No shrimp!", not just "add chicken". There is at best a thin line between doing this and 'going negative' on shrimp.

2. Frankly, IMO 3.X was not a very good rule set. It had many broken bits, many aspects that led to a less than optimal playing experience (such as problems with skills), combats that were not interesting enough, and too steep of a power curve.

It was BADLY in need of a MAJOR overhaul.

It was also the best edition of D&D ever, and I really like playing D&D.

Now, given those facts, if that's all I said, you might think that taking some bits from 4E might please me. But I STRONGLY dislike almost EVERY change from 3.X to 4E. 4E went in very much the wrong direction for me. Compared to 4E, 3.X was WAY better for me. How would you know that's my preference, if I don't mention it? Sure, I could try to say what I would like to ADD to the game, but that's much more vague and you would really never know that adding in bits from 4E would displease me unless I MENTION it.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I chose not to pledge, because negative feedback is equally important as positive. But that said, I will try to be optimistic as much as I can, and I will try to hold my tongue when I get emotional. That's about the best I can do. I am human, after all. :)

Oni

First Post
I don't believe "stay positive at all times" is a good approach. If people don't like something, they should say so; that's the only way their concerns will ever get addressed. I prefer "stay polite and don't get personal."

Just for clarity I don't believe I made quite so absolute a statement, at least it wasn't my intent. "Focus on the positive" meant we should try to spend the lion's share of our energy there, not that we should never deviate from it. I do think there is room for improvement though, and a little concerted effort to avoid going negative isn't likely to hurt anyone.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Just for clarity I don't believe I made quite so absolute a statement, at least it wasn't my intent. "Focus on the positive" meant we should try to spend the lion's share of our energy there, not that we should never deviate from it. I do think there is room for improvement though, and a little concerted effort to avoid going negative isn't likely to hurt anyone.

That's true. It's also true that fear of confrontation and all the dancing around it can cause as much or more trouble as actual diagreement. When people try to justify things that don't require any justification, it seldom comes out well. "They'll think ill of me if I express a preference for X or Not Y. So I'd better explain why my tastes are good tastes." It's the latter part that causes sparks.

No one has to justify their roleplaying preferences to anyone else. Unless you like Fatal--and then none of us want to know anyway. :p

Cybit

First Post
I don't think a poll that is functionally saying "we are the single biggest reason for the tenor of the D&D community, and, with that, the following fall of D&D as a whole" is going to go over well here.

Leave it this way; if folks are aware enough to understand this is an actual problem, odds are, those aren't the ones you need to worry about. It's those who tie their identity with the game they play, and thus, an attack on part of the game gets taken as an attack on them.

That said, it saddens me that we blame WotC for a lot of what we ourselves started, fanned, threw gasoline on, and have nurtured for years.

BryonD

Hero
No, I said that self absorbed people who refuse to talk civilly and insist that their rights to express their opinions somehow trumps the conventions that would help with civil discourse should be discouraged from doing so.

I've been assured of my "edition warrior" status for less than what you did.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases