Unearthed Arcana [5E] Unearthed Arcana: Races of Eberron (July 2018)

Horwath

Legend
Warforged should have darkvision.

If you design tools for war you want them to have an advantage over the enemy.

Using night cover is one of the advantages.

Also juggernaut slam should be 1d6 damage or 1d8 if you have martial weapon proficiency.

Couldn't you just wildshape into the ape, change appearance into the human, and then put the armor on?

That was what I was thinking of. You would be as strong as an ape (16), have extra hp, but still be able to use your normal gear and speak (since the description of wildshape allows you to use any gear permitted by your current shape, and speak if the form allows it). Also, since the changling ability takes zero time to activate, you could argue that there is no need to take your gear off.

Personally, I would just houserule a ban on double-shapeshifting, but this kind of thing aught to be dealt with in the description (which would have been done automatically if they had simply been given unlimited Alter Self).

Personally, I would just houserule a ban on double-shapeshifting, but this kind of thing aught to be dealt with in the description (which would have been done automatically if they had simply been given unlimited Alter Self).

Hey man, I've already got a plot to capture the king's dog, wildshape into a generic dog, change appearance to the king's specific dog, and then infiltrate the castle!

Hey man, I've already got a plot to capture the king's dog, wildshape into a generic dog, change appearance to the king's specific dog, and then infiltrate the castle!

I agree that seems like a valid use.

Perhaps a specific "cannot change species" condition would better.

Edit: This is a good indicator of why the rules as written are not sufficiently clear:

Change from one dog to a different dog? Sure.
Change from a dog to a wolf? Seems reasonable.
Change from a small dog to a cat? Or a large dog into a small pony? Or a dog into a giant lizard? Or an elephant into a dragon? RAW the rules appear to allow all of these.

Last edited:

ClockworkNinja

Explorer
Warforged Envoys are built with a tool integrated into their body
Examples include lockpicks hidden in fingers, or a lute that folds out of the arm.
What do I see when I check the tools list in the phb?
Vehicles (land or water)
"Transform and roll out!"

It dosen't seem too overpowered to me- I might partner with a rogue/monk and make Knight Rider

Or go warforged Druid for a Beast Wars transformer.

How to abuse changling druid: Wildshape into an Ape (not the giant variety). Then use your changling ability to change back to your normal appearance. You can now use all your weapons and armour normally, and not draw unwanted attention when trying to infiltrate the Ambassador's ball, whilst having the stats and hp buffer of an ape.
Except that when you wildshape into the ape, you lose all your current abilities, which includes the changeling ability to change shape.

As for warforged envoys, consider this: You are still trying to infiltrate the Ambassador's ball in order to steal her golden chocolates, which are locked in a safe. The party are frisked at the entrance, and the rogue's lockpicks are discovered, and they are dragged off to the dungeon. The remaining party reach the safe. "LEAVE THIS TO ME" intones the warforged, as lockpicks extend from its fingertips. (Not to mention with light armour proficiency and a good dex it has AC bloody stupid if it needs to fight it's way out).
The envoy spy built for theft and espionage sounds like an awesome character.

CapnZapp

Legend
That was what I was thinking of. You would be as strong as an ape (16), have extra hp, but still be able to use your normal gear and speak (since the description of wildshape allows you to use any gear permitted by your current shape, and speak if the form allows it).
The thing that matters is spellcasting, and that happens at level 17(?) Changeling or no Changeling.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases