Arcanaloth (WIP)Challenge 12
Medium Fiend (Yugoloth), Neutral Evil8,400 XP
1598896179798.png

Armor Class 17 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 135 (18d8 + 54; bloodied 67)
Speed 30 ft., fly 30 ft.
1598896181433.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
17 (+3)12 (+1)16 (+3)20 (+5)16 (+3)17 (+3)
1598896182723.png

Saving Throws Dex+5, Int +9, Wis +7, Cha +7
Skills Arcana +13, Deception +9, Insight +9, Perception +7
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities acid, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, poisoned
Senses truesight 120 ft., Passive Perception 17
Languages All, Telepathy 120 ft.
Proficiency Bonus +4; Maneuver DC 15
1598896186606.png

Innate Spellcasting. The arcanaloth’s innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 15). The arcanaloth can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:

At will: alter self, darkness, heat metal, invisibility (self only), magic missile

Magic Resistance. The arcanaloth has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Mind Blank. When the mind blank spell is active, the arcanaloth is immune to psychic damage, any effect that would read their emotions or thoughts, divination spells, and the charmed condition.

Spellcasting. The arcanaloth is a 16th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). The arcanaloth has the following wizard spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): fire bolt , mage hand , minor illusion , prestidigitation
1st level (4 slots): detect magic , identify , shield, floating disk
2nd level (3 slots): blur, detect thoughts, mirror image, suggestion
3rd level (3 slots): counterspell, fear, fireball
4th level (3 slots): banishment, dimension door
5th level (2 slots): contact other plane, hold monster, scrying
6th level (1 slot): chain lightning
7th level (1 slot): finger of death
8th level (1 slot): mind blank

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The arcanaloth makes two claw attacks. It can replace one attack with a use of Spellcasting.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack. +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack. +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit. 8 (1d4 + 3) slashing damage plus 1d6 force damage. The target must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If a Medium or smaller target is hit with two claw attacks on the same turn, it is also grappled.

Fire Bolt (Cantrip; V, S). Ranged Spell Attack. +9 to hit, range 120 ft., one target. Hit. 16 (3d10) fire damage.

Fireball (3rd-Level; V, S). Fire streaks from the pit fiend to a point within 120 feet and explodes in a 20-foot radius, spreading around corners. Each creature in the area makes a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw , taking 21 (6d6) fire damage on a failed save or half damage on a success.

Hold Monster (5th-Level; V, S, Concentration). A creature within 60 feet that the arcanaloth can see makes a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw . On a failure, it is paralyzed for 1 minute. The creature repeats the save at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.

Finger of Death (7th-Level; V, S). The aracnaloth sends negative energy coursing though a creature it can see within 60 feet of it. The creature must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw, taking 61 (7d8 + 30) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A humanoid killed by this spell turns into a zombie at the start of the arcanaloth's next turn. The zombie is permanently under the arcanaloth's control and follows its spoken commands.
  • Cast at Higher Levels. The damage increases by 2d8 for each slot level above 7th
Teleport. The arcanaloth magically teleports, along with any equipment it is wearing or carrying, up to 120 feet to an unoccupied space it can see.

BONUS ACTIONS
Chomp.
The arcanaloth can make a bite attack against a creature it has grappled.

Daemon Step (1/Rest). The arcanaloth uses its teleport action.

REACTIONS
Counterspell (3rd-Level; S).
When a creature the arcanaloth can see within 60 feet casts a spell, the arcanaloth attempts to interrupt it. If the creature is casting a 2nd-level spell or lower, the spell fails. If the creature is casting a 3rd-level or higher spell, the arcanaloth makes an Intelligence check against a DC of 10 + the spell’s level. On a success, the spell fails, and the spellcasting creature can use its reaction to try to cast a second spell with the same casting time so long as it uses a spell slot level equal to or less than half the original spell slot. If the arcanaloth casts counterspell with a higher spell slot, the interrupted spell fails if its level is less than that of counterspell.

Shield (1st-Level; V, S). When the arcanaloth is hit by an attack or targeted by magic missile , they gain a +5 bonus to AC (including against the triggering attack) and immunity to magic missile. These benefits last until the start of their next turn.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Proficient in Dex saves, but not Con saves?

(other comments to follow at the end of the weekend)
Originally she was proficient in both, but for CR reasons I need to drop one. Per the DMG, you are supposed consider giving monsters proficiency in a save that strengthens a weak stat. For Takhisis, Dex is that stat.

PS - thank you for the comment and I look forward to more this weekend!

Last edited:

This thread is a gold mine! Are there any plans to convert the contents to an alphabetically or CR indexed resource page? This would massively increase its usefulness as one can see at a glance what's available or browse more easily than in a 60+ pages thread.

dave2008

Legend
This thread is a gold mine! Are there any plans to convert the contents to an alphabetically or CR indexed resource page? This would massively increase its usefulness as one can see at a glance what's available or browse more easily than in a 60+ pages thread.
There is a link to the Index by CR on the first post:
1668861632331.png

Here is the link for convenience: Monsters by CR

Also, you realize they are "indexed" alphabetically and hyperlinked on the OP under each creature type spoiler tag.

1668862052739.png

Last edited:

Originally she was proficient in both, but for CR reasons I need to drop one. Per the DMG, you are supposed consider giving monsters proficiency in a save that strengthens a weak stat. For Takhisis, Dex is that stat.

PS - thank you for the comment and I look forward to more this weekend!
I don't see why she would use her claw, when it costs just as many actions as a bite, but deals less damage? I'm not sure the riders on the claw makes up for that, but that is just a minor thing. She looks great!

dave2008

Legend
I don't see why she would use her claw, when it costs just as many actions as a bite, but deals less damage? I'm not sure the riders on the claw makes up for that, but that is just a minor thing. She looks great!
That is as intended. The original chromatic dragon said this about claw attacks:
1668978282184.png

So it is a little nod to her original stat block (sub-optimal claw attack = no claw attack). However, I did give it a time to shine. Look at the Colossal Trait. It says:

"A creature that enters or starts its turn in her space, must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw or be hit by her claw attack. A creature in Takhisis's space has advantage on attacks that target he AC."

So for a benefit (advantage on attacks) you have to risk an non-action claw attack.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases