D&D 5E 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium

dave2008

Legend
Hi, going through the lords of the nine right now. It seems there's an error here, with Mephestopheles' weapon of choice:
Thank you for your comment! Scratch is behind a spoiler tag because it is a work in progress (WIP). All I have done so far is copy paste another artifact. When I get around to finishing it I will remove the spoiler tag.

If I get some time I will update Scratch today, but no guarantee!

dave2008

Legend
Hi, going through the lords of the nine right now. It seems there's an error here, with Mephestopheles' weapon of choice:

EQUIPMENT
Scratch

Weapon (trtident), artifact (requires attunement)
Biter is a Large magic greatsword that grants a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. It deals an additional 14 (4d6) acid on a hit.

Ever Bleeding. Damage inflicted by biter is difficult to heal. Until a creature has completed a long rest, any damaged caused by Biter cannot be healed.

Insect Food. If a creature dies from wounds caused by Biter, the next round it burst in a swarm of infernal insects. Use the statistics for a Swarm of Insects (Wasps).

Special. While Baalzebul is in possession of Biter it uses his save DC and attack bonus, additionally attacks made with it ignore resistance to acid damage.

Copy-paste from the wrong file, I guess? Any chance you could post up the right one? Thanks!
I have updated Mephisto with a version of Scratch. There was not a lot of lore on his weapon so let me know what you think. I am open to suggestions.

dave2008

Legend
Red Dragon by Bruno Cesar

Ancient Red Dragon, Exarch of TiamatChallenge 26
Gargantuan mythic dragon, typically chaotic evil180,000 Mythic XP

Armor Class 24 (natural armor)
Hit Points 468 (24d20 + 216)
Speed 70 ft., climb 70 ft., fly 210 ft., swim 60 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
29 (+9)12 (+1)29 (+9)22 (+6)17 (+3)26 (+8)

Saving Throws Str +17, Dex +9, Con +17, Int +14, Wis +11, Cha +16
Skills Arcana +13, Athletics +17, Intimidation +16, Perception +19
Damage Resistances force, piercing, poison design note: piercing reducing range damage mostly, note this all piercing damage, not just nonmagical. This is to represent dragons hard scales being more difficult to penetrate from a distance.
Damage Immunities fire
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses blindsight 90 ft., darkvision 180 ft., passive perception 29
Languages Common, Draconic, Giant, Ignan
Proficiency Bonus +8; Maneuver DC 25

Blessing of Tiamat (Mythic Trait, recharges after a Rest). If the dragon would be reduced to 0 hit points, its current hit point total instead resets to 400 hit points, it recharges all of its abilities, and it can use its Mythic Actions and the following traits for 1 hour.
  • Fire Aura. At the start of each of the dragon’s turns, each creature within 10 feet of it takes 14 (4d6) fire damage, and flammable objects in the aura that aren’t being worn or carried ignite. A creature that touches the dragon or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 14 (4d6) fire damage. Design note: if you haven't hit the party with a lair action that removes resistance, you might want to ignore this trait. It might not be worth tracking the damage.
  • Scion of Fire. The dragon's Fire Breath deals an additional 70 fire damage and ignores resistance to fire damage and treats fire immunity as resistance instead. If a creature is reduced to 0 hit points by this effect, the creature immediately dies, and its body is reduced to ash. Design Note: This increase in fire damage is calculated to work with the reduced hit points with the mythic trait. If this is to much damage, then add another attack option in the dragon's mythic options.

Colossal. The dragon's space is 30 feet by 30 feet and it has advantage on saving throws against being physically pushed or knocked prone.

Dragon Fear. Each creature that starts its turn within 120 feet of the dragon must make a DC 24 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is frightened of the dragon and cannot concentrate on spells or similar effects until the start of the creature’s next turn. If a creature’s saving throw is successful, the creature is immune to the Dragon Fear trait for the next 12 hours.

Ignite. When an area takes fire damage from the dragon’s Fire Breath it ignites, becoming engulfed in flames for 1 minute. The flames are 15 feet high, opaque, and cover the whole area. A creature takes 14 (4d6) fire damage when it enters or ends its turn within 5 feet of the area. Design Note: This gives the dragon some area control without using a spell.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The dragon makes two claw attacks. It can replace one of these attacks with a Fire Blast attack.
Design Note: The dragons actions (including legendary actions) are designed to emulate the classic claw/claw/bite (or spell or breathweapon) routine from 1e. So this dragon potentially makes fewer attacks per round, but they hit harder!

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 48 (6d12 + 9) magical piercing damage plus 13 (2d12) fire damage and, if the dragon wishes, the target must make a DC 25 Strength throw or be grappled. A Medium or smaller creature grappled this way is also restrained.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 36 (6d8 + 9) magical slashing damage and, if the dragon wishes, the target must make a DC 25 Strength saving throw or knocked prone or pushed 10 feet, the dragon's choice.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 40 ft., one target. Hit: 42 (6d10 + 9) magical bludgeoning damage. If the target is a Large or smaller creature, it must succeed on a DC 25 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone and stunned until the end of the dragon’s next turn. Design note: this attack has a long reack and potential knocks a PC out with a temporary stun, helping with focus fire action economy.

Wing Attack. The dragon beats its wings. Each creature within 40 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 25 Strength saving throw, taking 24 (6d4 + 9) bludgeoning damage and be pushed 10 feet and knocked prone on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The dragon can then fly up to half its flying speed without provoking opportunity attacks. Design note: this allows the dragon to escape being locked down. Sort of its version of teleport.

Fire Blast. Ranged Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, range 180 ft., one target. Hit: 26 (4d12) fire damage and must make a DC 25 Constitution saving throw or take 13 (2d12) ongoing fire damage. Design note: I don't like ungoing damage as I always forget it; however, I feel it is thematic. I suggest removing it if you or your players have a problem tracking this damage. Increase the initial damage is a simple solution if you remove the ongoing damage.

Dragon Magic (8/Day). The dragon uses its innate magic, requiring no components, to create one of the following spell-like effects (spell save DC 24, +16 to hit with attacks) as if they are 8th level spells: continual flame, dominate monster, fireball, fire storm, flaming sphere, heat metal, wall of fire
Design note: I think of dragons as being magically elemental, so I give them magic related to their breathweapon. If you see them more sorcerous, then select different spells that meet your theme. You may also want to tailor the spell list to your party. I suggest looking at How to Play a Red Dragon like an Evil Genius for a good spell list and other tactics.

Charge Breath (Recharge 5-6). The dragon inhales and charges its breath weapon. Design note: this action provides the thematic "charge up" of the dragon's breathweapon and the full round action of old school dragons. It also allows us to increase the damage and make it really scary!

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The dragon can take 3 legendary actions. Design Note: We all know how to apply these, no need to waste space. FYI, I allows legendary monsters to spend any unused legendary/mythic actions at the end of the round.

Colossal Stride. The dragon can move up to half its walking speed. The dragon can enter Medium and smaller creatures space during this movement and does not provoke opportunity attacks. The first time it enters a creatures space the creature must make DC 25 Strength saving throw or be pushed to space our of the dragon's path and knocked prone. Design Note: this could be particularily effective on a narrow (30' wide) bridge over a lava flow.
Detect (Recharge 5-6). The dragon extends its senses, making a Wisdom (Perception) check and gaining advantage on its next attack or inflicting disadvantage on saving throws against its next use of Fire Breath. Design Note: This is to give a solo dragon a method to gain advantage.
Elite Recovery. The dragon ends one negative effect currently affecting it. It can do so as long as it has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated. Design Note: this is a great replacement for Legendary Resistance from LevelUP. It allows a condition to have an effect, but not completely lock down the monster.
Attack (Cost 2 Actions). The dragon makes one Bite, Tail, or Wing attack.
Fire Breath (Costs 3 Actions). If the dragon has charged its breath weapon, it exhales fire in 200-foot cone or twenty 20-foot-by-20-foot contiguous areas within 200 feet of it. Each creature in that area must make a DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 130 (20d12) fire damage (+70 fire damage when the dragon's mythic trait is active) and the target is Additionally, any magic or active spell of 8th level or lower in the area ends. Design note: see my previous comments about the dragons fire breath and ongoing damage. The fire burning away magic was to give the dragon another method to escape certain spells.

MYTHIC ACTIONS
When the dragon's Blessing of Takhisis trait is active, it can use the following Mythic Actions.

Mythic Lair. The dragon can use a Lair Action and doing so does not count against its normal use of Lair Actions.
Recharge (Costs 2 Actions). The dragon recharges its breath weapon.
Dragon Magic (Costs 3 Actions). The dragon can create a spell like effect using its dragon magic.
Tail Sweep (Costs 3 Actions). The dragon swings its tail in a 40-foot cone, making a tail attack against reach target in the area. On a hit, a creature that fails the saving throw is pushed 4d10 feet and knocked prone instead of being stunned.

LAIR ACTIONS
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), the dragon takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; the dragon can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row:
  • Clairaudience. The dragon can hear sounds at a location it chooses within its lair as if it was there. This affect last until the dragon uses a lair action to relocate its clairaudience to another location, it uses a different lair action, or it losses concentration as if concentrating on a spell. The dragon can also end the effect at will (no action). Design note: this is conceptually an extension of the dragon's extraordinary senses. The are even more potent in their lair!
  • Pillar of Fire. The dragon opens a fissure to the elemental plane of fire, causing flames to erupt from a point on the ground within 240 feet of it, creating a 40-foot-high, 10-foot-radius column. Each creature in the area must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 21 (6d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Design note: you might at the trait that this strips resistances or adds vulnerability to fire damage.
  • Tremors. The dragon causes the ground of the lair to shake in a 120-foot radius around the dragon. Each creature other than the dragon on the ground in that area must succeed on a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone. Design note: consider having this ability interact with terrain. Have boulders or stalactites fall or ledges or bridges collapse (preferably into lava).
  • Volcanic Gases. The dragon conjures a cloud of noxious vapors in an area it can see within 240 feet of it. The vapors can be in a 30-foot-radius sphere that spreads around corners and centered on a point of the dragon's choice; or a 20-foot tall wall that is 1 foot thick by 90 feet long . The vapors heavily obscure the area, except for the dragon. It lasts until initiative count 20 on the next round. Each creature that starts its turn in the cloud or passes through the cloud must succeed on a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the end of its turn. While poisoned in this way, a creature is incapacitated. Design note: you might at the trait that this strips resistances or adds vulnerability to fire damage.
Design Note: Lair actions are the same for adult and ancient dragons RAW. I thought ancients should get a little more umph from their lairs. Lair actions in combination with standard and legendary actions allow the dragon to act 3 to 5 times in one round. This helps with action economy.

Last edited:

GreatestHonor

Explorer
Hey, I personally really enjoy your Epic Monsters thread, and so i was wondering if these creatures would be usable along side those?

Also, really enjoy the 5e content you put out. Its a great inspiration for my own homebrewing.

dave2008

Legend
Hey, I personally really enjoy your Epic Monsters thread, and so i was wondering if these creatures would be usable along side those?

Also, really enjoy the 5e content you put out. Its a great inspiration for my own homebrewing.
They Epic Monster updates can be used along with the monsters in this thread; however, the CR system in the Epic Monster Updates does not follow the official DMG calculation methods and is specifically for CR 20+. So a CR 30 monster from the Epic Updates will be more powerful than a CR 30 monster from the Monstrous Compendium. Although, the Epic Updates were completed before "mythic" monsters were a thing. So mythic version of a monster can be more powerful than an "epic" version of the same monster.

Also, many of the monsters from the Epic Updates have already been converted in this thread. Depending on what your goal is, the Monstrous Compendium monsters (this thread) are generally better designs.

GreatestHonor

Explorer
They Epic Monster updates can be used along with the monsters in this thread; however, the CR system in the Epic Monster Updates does not follow the official DMG calculation methods and is specifically for CR 20+. So a CR 30 monster from the Epic Updates will be more powerful than a CR 30 monster from the Monstrous Compendium. Although, the Epic Updates were completed before "mythic" monsters were a thing. So mythic version of a monster can be more powerful than an "epic" version of the same monster.

Also, many of the monsters from the Epic Updates have already been converted in this thread. Depending on what your goal is, the Monstrous Compendium monsters (this thread) are generally better designs.

Awesome. I plan to look at both, but I do favor the epic monster design so far, as i really enjoy having stats for monsters above CR 30 without having to do mythic monsters.

I love the mythic monster mechanic, but I see it more as a additive for high CR monsters not a necessity.

Edit: I also agree with the sentiment you shared in the epic monster thread, where you believed that creature of the higher end of CR are typically not strong enough. So while i still use the official CR calculations for most of my own homebrewed monsters, The epic monster thread guidelines largely work better for me and my games.

dave2008

Legend
1689866761672.png

The Lady of Pain is the protector of the city of Sigil. She is also known as Her Serenity, for the permanently vacant expression on her face, The Bladed Queen, or simply The Lady. She is only a lady insofar as she is characterized as female in her countenance. The Lady may as well have been male or sexless, or such a type that traditional gender classification is impossible.

A very powerful being, many of the hive dwellers consider the Lady of Pain to be a deity. The Lady is sometimes seen as a floating, robed woman with a mantle of blades around her expressionless face. No one knows how she came to be or what her true purpose is. Her obvious objective is maintaining the balance within Sigil, by throwing defilers and denizens who anger her into one of her magical mazes. Often, she will only interfere when the very balance and stability of Sigil is threatened.

The Lady is an entity of inscrutable motives, and often those who cross her path, even if accidentally, are flayed to death or teleported to one of her Mazes (an almost inescapable pocket universe). Rumor has it that even greater deities have fallen before the Lady, and she was able to kill the otherwise immortal Nameless One. The Shattered Temple in Sigil was a major temple of Aoskar, the god of portals, who attempted to bring the city under his control. After one of the dabus abandoned its duty to worship Aoskar, she killed him with a thought, shattering the grand temple and throwing his priests into the Mazes of her making. The ruined temple eventually became the headquarters of the Athar. The vast majority of Sigil's denizens dread her apparitions, and avoid mentioning her name aloud for fear of drawing her attention.

The Lady has the power to control each and every portal in Sigil, opening and barring them at will. The dabus, her servants, maintain the city, forever fixing and patching its streets. For all her power, she apparently refuses to be worshiped as a goddess, and anyone brave (or careless) enough to worship her has met a grisly demise in the shadow of her blades.

The closest the Lady of Pain ever came to being overthrown was by Vecna, as one of the final steps in his plan to reshape the multiverse and make himself supreme (recounted in Die Vecna

A theory that appears late in the computer game Planescape: Torment is that the Lady is a prisoner and that Sigil is her cage. This theory is plausible in that its coiner, Ravel Puzzlewell, who would refer to herself as "the solver of puzzles not needing solving", had a level of understanding about the mechanics of the planes incomprehensible by men. Unfortunately (or consequently), she was also insane; whether her insanity set in before or after being "mazed" by the Lady is unknown.

Additionally, the novel Pages of Pain suggests that she may be the daughter of Poseidon from the Greek Pantheon of Arborea. However this is not made clear and even suggested that the memories of her early life released from an amphora may have been faked by the god himself in order to potentially sway the Protector of the Cage towards his way of thinking.

According to Die Vecna Die! she is a being of the same origin as The Serpent (representation of magic itself).

Here's what you should know about the Lady of Pain:
  • She is fifteen feet tall, hovers, never speaks and has a halo of blades around her face.
  • She is the ruler and protector of Sigil.
  • She has the power to keep gods, primordials, demon lords and etc. out of Sigil.
  • Just a glance from her can cause cuts to form all over your body.
  • She is served by goat-men known as the Dabus. They clean and repair Sigil, and they speak in hovering symbols.
  • She has the ability to send victims to a Maze - an individualized dimensional prison.
  • She Mazes or kills anyone who tries to worship her.
The Dabus: These creatures are servants and lords of Sigil. Some people think that they are living manifestations of the city. They repair what's broken in Sigil. They trim razorvine, patch cobblestone, and repair crumbling facades.

They sometime act as agents of the Lady. They put down riots or show up when there's a threat to the Lady.

The Mazes: The Lady makes a copy of a piece of Sigil and puts it in a demiplane. A portal of her making carries the copy into the ethereal plane. There, it grows into an endless twisting maze with no beginning or end. Then some poor sap is stuck in there, maybe forever.

Outsiders can get in to a selected maze, but it is difficult to get out. Food and water appear so the prisoner doesn't starve. Prisoners know there is a way out, as the Lady of Pain always leaves a portal back to Sigil hidden somewhere.

Here's a few past threats to the Lady of Pain's control of Sigil.

The Communals: There was once a faction called The Communals. They believed that everything belonged to everyone, including the Lady's power. One day, all of The Communals disappeared. Many assumed they were all trapped in a single maze.

Aoskar: Long ago, the worship of Aoskar, god of portals became very big in Sigil. A great "Temple of Doors" was created in the city - a church of Aoskar. The worship became so widespread that a dabus became a priest of Aoskar (!).

One night soon after the dabus became a priest, the Temple of Doors and buildings for blocks around were destroyed by a force unknown. Aoskar died. His giant corpse now floats in the astral plane.

It was soon after declared that worshiping Aoskar is illegal in Sigil, punishable by death.

In the Cage - A Guide to Sigil

We learn a few more factoids:
  • Some think the Lady is one of the dabus, or perhaps she is their god. "When the dabus are disturbed, the Lady's mind is troubled."
  • Apparently, the Lady used to send enemies to Agathion, the third layer of Pandeonium, rather than use the Mazes.
  • During the time when Aoskar was worshiped in Sigil, followers of Aoskar began making sacrifices in the name of the Lady of Pain. They considered the Lady to be an exarch or aspect of Aoskar.
We also learn about some more past threats:

Shekelor: 10,000 years ago, there was a wizard named Shekelor. He wanted to seize the Lady's throne. He sought an almost-successful usurper in Agathion, but the plane's dangers killed him.

The Expansionists: Recently, there was a faction known as the Expansionists. They were led by a man named Vartus Timlin, who had a powerful sword called Lightbringer. When he began speaking openly of seizing power, he was cast into a Maze.

This is a novel written from the perspective of the Lady of Pain. In Dragon Magazine #245, there was a bit of discussion about the book:

"...Take Denning’s PLANESCAPE® hardcover Pages of Pain (1996). The editor assigned it to him in good-news/bad-news terms: “I want you to write a hardback. The bad news is, its about the Lady of Pain.”

Denning recalls the difficulty. “It had to be from the Lady of Pain’s viewpoint - which is something of a problem, since (as every PLANESCAPE player knows) she never speaks - and (this was the really good part) the reader must know less about her at the end of the book than he does at the beginning, and nobody knows anything about her at the beginning.”

Would you cry defeat? Denning rose to the task, showing his characteristic desire to improve his craft. Pages of Pain “really made me rethink the way I approach stories, and for that reason alone it was worth writing. It also ended up being a much deeper book than I had ever written before, which I think was a result of the extreme approach I was forced to take. Those who have [read it] seem to think it’s my best work. It was certainly the most challenging and - forgive the pun - ‘painful’ to write.”

I don't own this book, so I did a lot of searching and read reviews. I found a couple of sample chapters on overdrive.com.

The main character has amnesia (apparently this book is a retelling of the greek myth of Theseus in D&D form). He has made a deal with the god Poseidon to deliver a gift (a trapped amphora) to the Lady of Pain. He ends up in a Maze and that's where most of the book takes place.

It's all written from the Lady of Pain's perspective. Apparently she actually addresses the reader on a number of occasions in this book.

We learn:
  • The Lady of Pain apparently can travel Sigil invisibly as long as her feet don't touch the ground.
  • She is the source of all pain in the multiverse.
  • She is obsessed with mental and physical pain of different kinds.
  • She might be a physical incarnation of the city itself.
  • The Lady may not know her own origin. A question posed in the book: "Is it better to know who you are, or to forget?"
  • It is possible she is the daughter of Poseidon.
  • There are four pains spread through the multiverse: Agony, anguish, misery and despair. Apparently the source of all of the pain in the multiverse comes from the void in her chest where he heart should be.
Reaction to the book is very mixed. Some amazon reviewers call it a "classic", while others have scathing remarks, like this:

"It's been a while since I last read something as bad and deceptive as this novel. First of all, and my biggest issue with this piece of literary junk, is that the book flat-out lies to you. Yes, the book actually says that it's going to reveal the backstory of the Lady of Pain, her origins, etc. Heck, a tag line was "The silence broken!".

Not only does it reveal NOTHING about the Lady of Pain, it opens stupid and unnecessary questions about her that are actually pretty pointless. So, there goes my main reason for purchasing this new doorstop of mine."

The sample chapters that I read seemed fine and breezy.

This is a crazy adventure meant to signal the end of 2nd edition and usher in the 3rd edition cosmology. I always liked the whole concept of a final edition-ending adventure.. I wish they'd have done it at the end of 4th edition.

In this gigantic adventure, Vecna uses a ritual to become a god, and then forces the Dark Powers of Ravenloft to funnel him into Sigil. Vecna wants to bring down the current planar order and become the supreme deity of a new multiverse in his image.

It is suggested that the Lady of Pain is one of the Ancient Brethren, as is The Serpent, an entity that advises Vecna.

Vecna holes up in The Armory in Sigil, and it is explained that the multiverse could unravel. "...should the Lady reveal herself in her true form in all its aching majesty to do battle with the waxing god, the multiverse would come undone like a mobile whose strings are simultaneously severed."

The heroes will have the Hand of Vecna and possibly other Vecna relics, which apparently means they can take Vecna down. The Lady has a dabus tell the heroes to go kill him. There's a note in the module that if the PCs try to attack the Lady of Pain, she is invulnerable to any attack and a single glance from her will cause the aggressor to vanish.

The heroes hopefully reduce Vecna to 0 hit points and he is ejected from Sigil. His avatar is sucked down a whirlpool-like conduit.

The Lady of Pain rewards the heroes with a key to the city of doors - a magic item that basically creates a permanent portal to Sigil from anywhere.

The Lady of Pain reorders reality "...while standing on the crux of the multiverse known as Sigil." Some planes drift off and are forever lost, others collide and merge. Some common spells begin to work differently.

Die Vecna Die is considered controversial as it breaks a number of established rules:
  • "The Serpent" had previously been more of an abstract concept, not a type of OverGod related to the Lady.
  • Vecna somehow escaped Ravenloft, something that is supposed to be impossible for a domain lord like Vecna. The whole point of the Domains of Dread is that the domain lords are trapped there.
  • Gods are not supposed to be able to step foot in Sigil.
  • The Lady of Pain was able to destroy Aoskar, god of portals with a thought, but somehow fighting Vecna is more difficult and could unravel the multiverse.
D&D 3rd Edition

Planar Handbook

This sourcebook has about 6 pages devoted to Sigil. It basically repeats what was written in 2nd edition. The one notable thing I found is that they gave the Lady of Pain an alignment:

From what I understand, this didn't go over so well with some fans, who feel that the Lady of Pain should never be statted out. Once she's statted out, PCs will be trying to kill her.

Expedition to the Demonweb Pits

This adventure takes place partly in Sigil. It reprints the Planar Handbook info, and also includes a pencil drawing of the Lady:

D&D 4th Edition

Manual of the Planes

This book has a nice section on Sigil and the Lady of Pain is summed up quite nicely here:

Dungeon Master's Guide 2

This book just reiterates what came before. "She is just the wonder and mystery and danger of Sigil made manifest."

The Dabus are given stat blocks:
  • They can shoot psychic rays that daze, and drop psychic bursts that stun.
  • Dabus Enforcers have a power called "psychic rend", which slides a target and stuns them.
  • They also have "Mind Cage", a burst that does a pile of psychic damage and immobilizes the target.
Then there's this: "It is believed that the dabus live beneath Sigil, or that the city creates them when they are needed..."

There is a massive section on Sigil in this book. I'd forgotten all about it. There's even a complete 4e adventure in Sigil, which I ran way back in 2009, which I used to lead into Revenge of the Giants.

Dragon Magazine #419 - "Winning Races: Bladelings"

Is the Lady of Pain a bladeling?

Bladelings are a race of humanoids created by the evil deity Bane. They fought in the Dawn War, the ancient battle between gods and primordials.

Bladelings have metallic skeletons and skin, and they have blades and spines that sprout from their flesh. Check out this sidebar:

D&D 5th Edition

The Lady of Pain is mentioned on page 68 of the Dungeon Master's Guide:

Most lore was created in 2nd edition, and the later editions don't really add much. She's a very cool NPC. Every time I introduce her into a campaign, the players light up. I have a player right now who wants to kill her, and judging from what I am reading, that is pretty much impossible.

The Cage. The

Manifestation of Sigil. The Lady of Pain’s might is far greater while she is in her domain. While in Sigil, the Lady of Pain gains the following attributes:
  • The Lady of Pain has advantage on all attack rolls.
  • The Lady of Pain’s attacks do maximum damage if a creature fails a saving throw by 5 or more.
  • The Lady of Pain regains 50 hit points at the start of her turn.
  • The Lady of Pain can use domain actions.
  • The range of the Lady of Pain’ truesight and telepathy is unlimited throughout Sigil.
  • The Lady of Pain can cast any Abjuration, Divination, Illusion, or Transmutation spell of 6th level or lower at-will, of 7th level 2/day, of 8th level 2/day, and 9th level 1/day.
  • The Lady of Pain can cast the Gate spell at-will.

Domain Actions
While anywhere within the Sigil, The Lady of Pain can take a domain action as long as she has at least 1 hit point.

On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), the Lady of Pain can draw on the power Sigil to take a domain action to cause one of the following effects:
  • The Lady of Pain teleports to any location within Sigil.
  • The Lady of Pain summons 1d8 dabus.
  • The Lady of Pain can reshape the terrain or any structure touching the surface of Sigil as in the spell Stone Shape, except she is not limited to stone and can shape a gargantuan area with each use.
  • The Lady of Pain can open or close any portal in Sigil.
  • (2/day) The Lady of Pain can open or close all portals in Sigil.
  • (1/day) The Lady of Pain envelopes all of Sigil in her Shadow of Pain.

Lady of Pain (WIP)Challenge 30
Large mythic humanoid? (primordial), lawful neutral155,000 XP
1599650724997.png

Armor Class 25 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 435 (30d10 + 270)
Speed 40 ft., fly (hover) 120 ft
1599001644097.png

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
26 (+8)30 (+10)29 (+9)28 (+9)26 (+8)24 (+7)
1599001649174.png

Saving Throws Str +17, Dex +19, Con +18, Int +18, Wis +17, Cha +16
Skills Arcana +18, Insight +17, Intimidation +25, Investigation +17, Perception +17, Stealth +19
Damage Resistances fire, force, thunder; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from rare or lesser magic items
Damage Immunities cold, poison psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, stunned
Senses truesight Sigil, Passive Perception 29
Languages All, telepathy Sigil
Challenge 30 (155,000 XP) Proficiency Bonus +9
1599001651489.png

Limited Magic Immunity. Unless she wishes to be affected, the Lady of Pain is immune to cantrips. She has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects and any creature that makes a spell attack against her has disadvantage on the attack roll.

Demiplane of Mazes. The Lady of Pain can banish creatures to a demiplane that can be entered by no other means except a wish spell. A creature can leave the demiplane by using magic that enables planar travel, such as the plane shift spell, cast at 8th level or higher.

Primordial Might. The Lady of Pain's attacks and effects ignore the resistances and immunities of targets with 20 hit dice or less. Additionally, her weapon attacks are treated as if made by artifacts.

Primordial Nature. The Lady of Pain can’t be surprised or changed into another form against her will. She can’t be targeted by divination magic, perceived through magical scrying sensors, and is immune to any effect that would sense her emotions or read her thoughts. Wisdom (Insight) checks made to ascertain her intentions or sincerity automatically fail. Additionally, the Lady of Pain doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep.

Shadow of Pain. The Lady of Pain projects a shadow in 30-foot cone in any direction she wishes. She can use a bonus action to change the direction of her shadow. If the Lady wishes, any creature that enters or ends its turn in her shadow must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw, taking 28 (8d6) magical slashing damage on failed save, or half as much on a successful one.

Unending Pain (Mythic Trait, 15 per Rest). If the Lady of Pain is reduced to 0 hit points, her current hit point total becomes 400, all conditions and effects she is suffering end for her, she recharges all of her abilities, and she can use her Mythic Actions in place of a Legendary Actions for 1 hour. Award a party an additional 155,000 XP each time the Lady of Pain uses her mythic trait (2,480,000 XP maximum).

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The Lady makes five Ribbon Blade attacks. She can replace up to two of these attacks with Gift of Pain attacks.

Ribbon Blades. Melee Weapon Attack. +19 to hit, reach 60 ft., one target. Hit. 17 (2d6 + 10) magical slashing damage, plus 16 (3d10) necrotic damage.

Miss. The target must make a DC 24 Dexterity saving throw. On a failure the target is grappled by the ribbon (escape DC 25). A Large or smaller creature grappled this way is also restrained.

Gift of Pain. Ranged Spell Attack. +16 to hit, range 600ft., one target. Hit. 21 (4d6 +7) psychic damage and the target is stunned until the end of its next turn.

Maze of Agony. The Lady of Pain temporarily attempts temporarily banish one creature that she can see and within 180 feet to her demiplane. The target must make a DC 24 Charisma saving throw and be banished to the Demiplane of Mazes. At the end of the Lady of Pain's next turn, the creature reappears in the space it left, takes 55 (10d10) psychic damage, is frightened of the Lady of Pain for 1 minute, and gains one level of exhaustion. The creature can attempt additional saving throws at the end of each of its turns, and is no longer frightened on a success..

Flaying Glance (Recharge 5-6). The Lady Pain chooses on target she can see. The target must make a DC 24 Dexterity saving throw, taking 140 (20d6 + 70) magical slashing damage and one level of exhaustion on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Spellcasting. The Lady of Pain’s spell casting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 24, +16 to hit with attack spells). The Lady of Pain can innately cast the following spells, requiring no components:

At will: blade barrier, power word pain (180 ft.)
3/day each: feeblemind, heal, maddening darkness, power word kill
1/day each: gate, psychic scream, true resurrection, wish

Summon Dabus (Recharge 5-6).
The Lady of Pain summons 8d6 dabus to unoccupied spaces within 480 feet of her.

Teleport. The Lady of Pain magically teleports, along with any equipment she is wearing and carrying, up to 120 feet to an unoccupied space she can see. If she has a target grappled with her Ribbons, that target teleports with her.

REACTIONS
Blade Barrier.
The Lady of Pain is targeted by a ranged attack that would hit her. She adds 9 to her AC against ranged attacks, including the triggering attack, until the end of her next turn.

Shared Pain. If the Lady of Pain takes damage from an attack or effect, she can choose one creature she can see within 480 feet of her. That creature must make a DC 24 Wisdom saving throw, taking psychic damage of the same amount inflicted on the Lady of Pain on a failure.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The Lady of Pain can take 3 Legendary Actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. If the Lady of Pain has unspent legendary actions at the end of the round, she may spend and immediately use her remaining legendary actions. The Lady of Pain regains spent legendary actions at the start of her turn.

Move. The Lady of Pain can move up to half her speed without provoking opportunity attacks.
Regenerate. The Lady of Pain regains 50 hit points.
Slash. The Lady of Pain makes one Ribbon Blade attack.
Unstoppable. The Lady of Pain removes one condition or effect she is suffering. She can do so if she has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated.
Teleport (Costs 2 Actions). The Lady of Pain uses her teleport action.
Whirlwind of Pain (Costs 3 Actions). Each creature within a 60-foot radius centered on the Lady of Pain must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw, taking 17 (2d6 + 10) magical slashing damage, plus 16 (3d10) necrotic damage, and be Dazed until the end of their next turn on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

MYTHIC ACTIONS
If the Lady of Pain's mythic trait is active, she can use the options below as Primordial Action for 1 hour after using Unending Pain.

Sigil Summons (Cost 2 Actions). The Lady of Pain recharges her Summon Dabus ability and immediately uses it.
Banishment (Costs 3 Actions, 1/Rest). The Lady of Pain selects one target in Sigil. The target must make a DC 24 Charisma saving throw or be banished to the Lady's Demiplane of Mazes. If the target has less than 100 hit points it automatically fails its saving throw.
Flay (Costs 3 Actions). The Lady of Pain recharges Flaying Glance and uses immediately.

Last edited:

Remove ads