D&D 5E 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons: "There's a "Mod" for that!

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Will this be D&D Next's motto from now on?

If they don't deliver what you want right away, will you hear "but there will be a mod for that" to keep you waiting and playing the game until either it does come or it doesn't?

I think the notion sounds great and I know Next would like to be able to encompass everything into the game but is this even realistic and do we really want it that way?

I love options but I don't want options just for the sake of options because this creates system bloat which in turn puts a strain on the system as a whole.

I want a smooth system that allows me to use it according to my playstyle.

dkyle

First Post
I will not start playing D&D 5E unless there is a combination of modules available that does what I want. I will not start playing on the "promise" that the game I want will be released at some point in the future. Consider what happened to many of the "promises" made for DDI.

I do not think it is realistic that they will truly accommodate all fans of previous editions, simply by providing modules. It will be insanely difficult to maintain balance for all those possible combinations of modules. They just barely kept 4E balanced. How will they balance a game that provides not just 4E-style play, plus all those other styles?

If they throw out game balance, and focus only on the (admittedly sizable) population of D&D fans for whom "balance" is a dirty word, they might find an audience, but it won't include me.

Now if they do manage to provide a bunch of modules for everyone, all well balanced, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want that. Having a bunch of plug-and-play modules is a good way to have a wide variety of options available, while avoiding bloat. If you don't include a module, then it does nothing to bloat your game.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend

If they don't deliver what you want right away, will you hear "but there will be a mod for that" to keep you waiting and playing the game until either it does come or it doesn't?
That's the impression I'm getting.

I want a smooth system that allows me to use it according to my playstyle.
I think the theory they're working on is that they can't create a core system that works smoothly for a wide variety of playstyles, so instead, they'll create one that works for some narrow range of styles (centering on whatever they've concluded is 'really D&D' - my guess, 2e, coincidentally Mr. Mearl's first and favorite ed), and provide a toolkit of modules for DMs to use to kitbash it into something that supports other styles, one at a time.

I think it is possible to have one system that accommodates - 'supports' may be too strong a word - a very broad range of play styles. But, what you or I think doesn't matter.

Stormonu

Legend
Likewise, I don't plan on playing 5E until the modules I expect for my fav version (basically able to replicate 2E or 3E) are available.

If the options aren't available at launch I'll look at the game when they are, but longer they wait the bigger chance they have of losing my interest altogether - and any who are in the same boat as me.

I do think "there's a mod for that" is a cool way to go - so long as they deliver on making it available.

Shadeydm

First Post
Its a great goal and if they can pull it off it's hard to imagine it not being a success. As a fan of Debian/Ubuntu being able to customize is a big draw for me. Sign me up for D&D the linux edition.
Lets hope WotC learned something last time around and will be more third party friendly this time.

nomotog

Explorer
I say options for the sake of options is a wonderful thing. The reason i loved 3ed (and never really latched onto 4ed) was all the hundreds of mods and settings. You could type a random set of words followed by d20 and find a published or fan made mod on that topic. It whould be so good to be able to do that again.

"There's an app mod for that" may become the war cry of D&D Next. And if it's true, it may even work.

It's too early to tell right now, but there is a chance it could even work for me. But I remain skeptical.

delericho

Legend

Very likely. Maybe not from WotC, but from the fans.

I will be extremely surprised if WotC actually deliver the majority of the modules that people want. I suspect they'll very quickly find that they just don't sell in the numbers WotC needs - certainly, far less than the more traditional splatbooks.

I think the notion sounds great and I know Next would like to be able to encompass everything into the game but is this even realistic and do we really want it that way?

It really depends how they do it. If they can keep the core really slim, such that modules can be purely additive, then there would be more scope for adding them than if the core attempts to provide a full game in itself.

Of course, if the core doesn't provide a full game in itself, they're on a loser, so...

(IMO, their best bet is to structure the Rulebooks to present that extremely slim core, and then present a handful of 'default' modules that expand it out to the full game we've now sort-of seen (in part, at least).)

I love options but I don't want options just for the sake of options because this creates system bloat which in turn puts a strain on the system as a whole.

There's a lot of truth in this. A modular system that can be tailored to do X will inevitably be more complex than essentially the same game custom-built to only do X.

Speaking for myself, unless 5e is pretty damn close to the game I want right at the outset, then I'll very quickly move away from it. It won't matter if they later produce modules that make it my perfect game, because I'll have stopped paying attention by then.

Further, while I may well add a handful of modules to the game in order to tweak it, my tolerance for house rules, official or otherwise, is very low.

Jack99

Adventurer
That's the impression I'm getting.

I think the theory they're working on is that they can't create a core system that works smoothly for a wide variety of playstyles, so instead, they'll create one that works for some narrow range of styles (centering on whatever they've concluded is 'really D&D' - my guess, 2e, coincidentally Mr. Mearl's first and favorite ed), and provide a toolkit of modules for DMs to use to kitbash it into something that supports other styles, one at a time.

I think it is possible to have one system that accommodates - 'supports' may be too strong a word - a very broad range of play styles. But, what you or I think doesn't matter.

Mearls' favorite edition is OD&D afaik. Lets not confuse things.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Mearls' favorite edition is OD&D afaik. Lets not confuse things.

I don't know about his favorite, but in interviews he mentions he went back to Basic D&D, which is not OD&D.

Where Is D&D Headed Next? An Update with Mike Mearls ... And the Public Playtest Begins | GeekDad | Wired.com

But regardless of what 4e fans think, 5e (so far) bears little to no resemblance to old school D&D or AD&D. At least IMHO and most other old school fans I've read express an opinion.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases