D&D 5E 5th edition force cage spell

tk32

First Post
I completely agree Phazonfish. Not to mention they would just find other spells that would be as powerful. So, no point in trying to fight it. :) Forces me to simply allow an encounter to be defeated in this way. The whole point is to beat encounters, this is just another tool to beat encounters with. My biggest concern is they go to fight Tiamat and she's caged and game over.. Now what... But she would be an ancient dragon and too large. Just as an example though.

jasper

Rotten DM
I not seeing the cover part if it is casted as a cage. It is a 7th level spell which cost $1,500 to cast.
DOH the dust is not consumed.
Edit what the below guy said. Or oops.

Last edited:

tk32

First Post
Exactly, that was one of the major changes with 5th edition. Spell components were no longer consumed, unless the spell specifically states the spell component is consumed.... No longer are the days that Identify costs a 100Gp pearl to identify stuff... One pearl and the same pearl can be used forever.. :)

Coroc

Hero
Ahm 100% sure that Missiles can enter the Cage?

And if they can you Need a lot of distance for your adult Dragon since he can breathe out of the cage also and i as a dm would rule that you will not get total cover from a dragonbreath used that way.

I remember forcecage being a different shape for wall of force in 2e, meaning nothing can get through no magic no material, which leaves the question if the 5e second version with the 10' box will suffocate the victim if cast for a Long enough time.

Is it concentration? i do not have my books with me, if yes then someone inside could shoot an arrow or cast a süpell at the caster to make him loose concentration.

Not concentration and it last an hour. I would not allow the suffocation.

And with those tiny little bar spaces I would not allow melee attacks to penetrate and give a static 9/10 chance for arrows to bounce off (say 5/6 for Sharpshooter - I know they ignore cover but this is nigh-impossible) even if a hit is made. Suffocation is not in the spirit of the spell unless you Force Caged them underwater (water would remain in cage...) and they couldn't breath water.

Coroc

Hero
Slowly i start to believe that some of the "Errors" by wizards are made to appease traditions / certain play styles

Like quarterstaff being versatile, applicable to PM (even with shields as some are saying, and doing 1d8 2h (like a spear!) having reach when a spear does not), to please the Monk with the quarterstaff / Gandalf re-enactor.

With the forcecage i believe its use in former editions was to take someone out of a fight, be it the party for resting or a enemy to strong and it did the Job in a fair way because it was impenetrable by everything except a disintegrate spell. It was a tactical playstyle, with the target to survive the mob.
These days cheeky Players use classics to get their take on the "how to kill the tarasque with 50 levitating Level 1 wizards spamming acid splash cantrips" game

Remove ads