• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5th Edition -- Help Me Break the Game!

evilbob

Explorer
How unreasonable would it be for a DM to houserule a restriction on multiclassing so that a character could never have more than one level of difference between the levels gained in any of the classes that they have?

So, for example, a character could be a warlock/fighter, but they'd be committing to end up as Warlock10/Fighter10 by 20th level?

Seems like it would reign in some of the "splash of this, splash of that" optimization we're seeing starting to be advocated.
"Unreasonable" is a strong word; I don't think it'd be unreasonable. It seems unnecessary to me, personally, because I don't think 10/10 characters would be very good at anything, and would probably discourage anyone from multiclassing. If the "1 level dip" is the worst thing that happens - when they have clearly geared the entire game around making sure this won't overpower anyone - I think it's probably ok. (Just my opinion, tho.)

Specifically with the warlock paladin, could you reskin the warlock's pact as being with a Holy Power?

Sure you could, if the DM allowed, but I'm fascinated by the story/RP potential in not doing so. A warlock/paladin with a non-good or fully evil patron would be a blast to try to explain and play. :D

(To clarify, I mean a good paladin, preferably of the Oath of Devotion.)

sidonunspa

First Post
Sure you could, if the DM allowed, but I'm fascinated by the story/RP potential in not doing so. A warlock/paladin with a non-good or fully evil patron would be a blast to try to explain and play. :D

I don't even have to do that...

My idea would be to play 'the fay knight' in essence a holy knight of the fay court.

C.Good paladin of devotion/ fay warlock, blade pact
He rarely gives his word, but when he give his word upon the ever changing moon, it's as good as a lawful characters word... (Play off word is his bond)

pkt77242

Explorer

How about an Oath of Vengeance Paladin (good) who will do anything to get vengeance and so makes a pact with a fiend. It would be interesting to see the struggle between being too and getting vengeance while not wanting to completely give in to the Fiend he made a pact with. That could be a fun Paladin/warlock.

Joe Liker

First Post
I don't even have to do that...

My idea would be to play 'the fay knight' in essence a holy knight of the fay court.

C.Good paladin of devotion/ fay warlock, blade pact
As I was reading the rulebook, I felt like this concept was screaming to be built.

This or a Way of Shadow monk/Assassin thief, of course.

xorpalm

Explorer
paladin/warlock

As I was reading the rulebook, I felt like this concept was screaming to be built.

Same thing here. I'm thinking paladin 3/warlock 17 is what I'll be playing.

For clarification, can divine smite access the pact spell levels (im pretty sure thats legit)? I'm planning on roleplaying a tiefling demon hunter, ( rage against his fiendish heritage which he sees preying on his kind/clan ) with a pact-blade using the great old one pact and oath of vengeance.

Spamming divine smite + eldritch blast + hex + hunter's mark + pole-mastery is my current plan. Start with paladin for the heavy armor proficiency. I think that in keeping the bonus action/reaction economy really limited does a great job on limiting truly over powered characters.

For clarification, can divine smite access the pact spell levels (im pretty sure thats legit)?

That's an interesting question. On the one hand, under Smite, it does say "paladin spell slots."

On the other, multiclassing has no caveat or procedure for tracking which slots come from where, and in fact makes a point of saying that pact slots and other spell slots are interchangeable.

So I'd say yeah, it's legit, but there's room for discussion.

sidonunspa

First Post
That's an interesting question. On the one hand, under Smite, it does say "paladin spell slots."

On the other, multiclassing has no caveat or procedure for tracking which slots come from where, and in fact makes a point of saying that pact slots and other spell slots are interchangeable.

So I'd say yeah, it's legit, but there's room for discussion.

Even without the smite it's a damn good character.

evilbob

Explorer
Ooo, ooo, thought of a new one:

Step 1: Cast Delayed Blast Fireball secretly into a small opaque jar.
Step 2: Hand jar to your enemy, and walk at least 20 feet away.
Step 3: Wait one minute.

72d6 (252) fire damage to the face. (A paltry 126 on a save, though.) :)

This actually doesn't work THAT well, though, because if the orb touches anything it explodes, and creatures have a chance to actually grab the orb and throw it! (It may just blow up in their face, though.)

The old "time stop + DBF" also still works. But if we're talking about 9th level spells, the game is kind of already broken. (Although meteor swarm can only hit a single target once now, even if it is caught in all four 40d6, 40' radius blasts.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads