Spelljammer 64-page Spelljammer books?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Realistically, the price point for D&D books has held steady at $50 for a hardcover for 8 years now. With all the increases in material (and, we must assume, labor) costs in that time, you can bet that WotC has been looking for a way to increase prices without looking too obviously like they're increasing prices.

I'm OK with this 3-book style as an adventure/setting approach in theory, as long as it covers what we need it to cover and it does what we need it to do.

I do seriously hate that they felt the need to get their boring-ass Planescape peanut butter in my Spelljammer chocolate, but as long as they keep it to a minimum I'll deal.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Realistically, the price point for DhD books has held steady at $50 for a hardcover for 8 years now. With all the increases in material (and, we must assume, labor) costs in that time, you can bet that WotC has been looking for a way to increase prices without looking too obviously like they're increasing prices.

I'm OK with this 3-book style as an adventure/setting approach in theory, as long as it covers what we need it to cover and it does what we need it to do.

I do seriously hate that they felt the need to get their boring-ass Planescape peanut butter in my Spelljammer chocolate, but as long as they keep it to a minimum I'll deal.
I can understand wanting to increase prices, but imo they failed in not making it look too obvious.

Yeah, inflation is just a reality, and price rises are going to happen. I'd of course prefer not to pay more for my D&D stuff but these things happen. It's more the sheer lack of content, and the priority given to that content, that bothers me. 64 pages for ALL the player-facing material and all the setting guide seems really scant, even compared to a book like SCAG which rightfully gets flak for being insufficient to cover the Realms to any degree of usefulness or completeness. Maybe there's more coverage in the adventure material and/or the free online releases that have been talked about, but still. Three skinny 64-page hardbacks and a slipcase - there's going to be a lot more cardboard in this release than there is paper, and paper is where the actually useful interesting stuff it.

darjr

I crit!
It’s in the top 1000 of all books on Amazon us and marked a number one bestseller. I think it’s been much higher in ranking recently.

It’s already a big success 37 days before release.

D35BCE47-7BFF-456B-8580-D1C51FCF44F3.jpeg

Stormonu

Legend
It’s in the top 1000 of all books on Amazon us and marked a number one bestseller. I think it’s been much higher in ranking recently.

It’s already a big success 37 days before release.

View attachment 253193
Never judge a book by its prerelease. There can certainly be buyer's remorse. Right now, this just tells us a lot of people are looking forward to it.

I've got my fingers crossed it will be good - enough so I went with the Beedles & Grimm version. However, I won't be singing its praises until I actually see and read what's been done. Though the monster release they did looks promising.

Reynard

Legend
Never judge a book by its prerelease. There can certainly be buyer's remorse. Right now, this just tells us a lot of people are looking forward to it.

I've got my fingers crossed it will be good - enough so I went with the Beedles & Grimm version. However, I won't be singing its praises until I actually see and read what's been done. Though the monster release they did looks promising.
I find the idea of being so uncertain that you need to "cross your fingers" but not only being willing to preorder, but pre-order the most expensive version possible so very weird.

Stormonu

Legend
I find the idea of being so uncertain that you need to "cross your fingers" but not only being willing to preorder, but pre-order the most expensive version possible so very weird.
WotC hasn't let me down yet with 5E, short of Tasha's. Van Richten's was very good so I have some confidence I'll be happy with this purchase. At the least, new monsters and ship deck plans that I'll be able to use regardless of the quality of the writing.

Normally, I would have waited until I'd seen a flip-through of the book at least before deciding. But, I'd been eying B&G of other books (namely CoS), and not wanting to take the chance this would be sold out, put this on preorder at a hefty discount. It's a calculated bet, with the odds heavily in my favor.

Reynard

Legend
WotC hasn't let me down yet with 5E, short of Tasha's. Van Richten's was very good so I have some confidence I'll be happy with this purchase. At the least, new monsters and ship deck plans that I'll be able to use regardless of the quality of the writing.

Normally, I would have waited until I'd seen a flip-through of the book at least before deciding. But, I'd been eying B&G of other books (namely CoS), and not wanting to take the chance this would be sold out, put this on preorder at a hefty discount. It's a calculated bet, with the odds heavily in my favor.
Ok. I misread your tone then. You went from talking about potential buyer's remorse to Beadle and Grimm and I was like "Wha?"

darjr

I crit!
Oh! The Amazon ranking isn’t about the B&G box set of it. In fact if anything the B&G box sets would depress that number, even if only a tiny incy bitty bit. Not to take away the glory that is a B&G big box.

Remove ads