D&D (2024) 6E When?

We have to remember now the cadence of titles is lower than previous editions, and most of these is only "refried", remake, without adding many new things. This means they don't need a true update yet.

The next edition will be something like World of Darkness 20 Anniversary.

I guess Hasbro's goal is the market of videogames and media (movies and cartoons). Maybe the future of TTRPGs will be like a internet streaming service, if you can watch a serie from Netflix also marvel comics from Disney+, of playing online videogames with cloud-servers.. why not PDFs from DM Guild?

We will see before action figures of Spelljammer (because it is the D&D line with more "vehicles"?

Hussar

Legend
We have to remember now the cadence of titles is lower than previous editions, and most of these is only "refried", remake, without adding many new things. This means they don't need a true update yet.

The next edition will be something like World of Darkness 20 Anniversary.

I guess Hasbro's goal is the market of videogames and media (movies and cartoons). Maybe the future of TTRPGs will be like a internet streaming service, if you can watch a serie from Netflix also marvel comics from Disney+, of playing online videogames with cloud-servers.. why not PDFs from DM Guild?

We will see before action figures of Spelljammer (because it is the D&D line with more "vehicles"?

We're already seeing that with the Virtual Tabletops. Whether Fantasy Grounds or Roll20, you buy the module, it's already "ready" for VTT play and off you go. It is one of the huge advantages of VTT play.

Zardnaar

Legend

New Zealand.

Checked last night flgs can't get it yet. Distributor here sucks and postage can suck. Take the Amazon price and triple it is roughly what we pay here in our currency double it for a very rough conversion to USD.

Nope I'm wrong

Just checked not sure what the postage is but unless it's less than $10 USD it's cheaper to buy locally.

1 NZD= 0.63 USD.

Last edited:

Audiomancer

Adventurer
Hasbro gaming down 17%

Probably more MTG related.

According to CNN:

"Hasbro (HAS) shares plunged nearly 17% Tuesday after the company posted sales and earnings that missed forecasts, due in large part to tariffs on its products."

dave2008

Legend
According to CNN:

"Hasbro (HAS) shares plunged nearly 17% Tuesday after the company posted sales and earnings that missed forecasts, due in large part to tariffs on its products."

If that is true it probably has to do with their toys mostly. I seem to remember a lot of "Made in China" labels.

Hasbro is suffering the USA-China trade wars, but it has got still a great future, at least better than Mattel.

I guess Hasbro doesn't want to be bought by Disney because it would be "all eggs in only one basket" and to enjoy complete independence.

Most of D&D 5th Eds are modules or refritos (refried, recooked), remakes of old things. Really no-module new sourcebooks are Acquisition Inc and Ravnica. The new class "monster slayer" isn't published in paper sourcebook yet although it is canon, isn't it?

Now the strategy is not to publish more books but to increase the number of players and fans. The next step will be to create a d20 system to be used in different genres. This is a true challenge for game designers because monsters are too dangerous or weak if PCs have got enough weapons and item. Do you remember Sebastian Castellanos in "Evil Within"? In the beginning he had to hide like in a survival horror, but later it was a battlefield like a standar shooter. In the DLC "the executioner" the PC as the Keeper, the boss monster with a safe as head could kill some monsters with only his hammer. D20 system isn't ready yet for a "G.I.Joe vs Transformers" or superheros as alien invaders.

Maybe Hasbro would like to use the d20 system to create a skirmish game (as Mordheim or Necromunda) to be a competitive e-sport, but it would need a lot of playtesting and work by game designers with questions about balance of power as to hire a warmage or a gunslinger, more magic item or gunpowder.

* Now I am thinking about if Hasbro publishes a "Endless Quest" board game with easy rules for +7y children then other companies could create their own clones using the open licence. And some fans could publish their own amateur "mods".

Zardnaar

Legend
It's because of the trade war and tarrifs. Toys are made in China, There's a 20% tarrif taking effect.

Yeah they say that in the video. I didn't think it would have to much to do with D&D.

The video said tariffs and something involving magic.

If they dropped D&D entirely it's less than 17%. It's not a good report but it's not a disaster, they're not bleeding money.

Remove ads