D&D (2024) 6E When?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Weeeell, but I come from the video game end of things: I played World of Warcraft when it was new and hip, I played Bards Tale and Dragon Wars (never saw a dragon, there was no war?) when they were old and I had no idea how the game's worked because I was 7.

Coming from a video game background, 5E is more accessible than 4E, whose "video gaminess" was always overblown. It really is more of a miniatures war game in style.

One thing 5E has going for it, is that it leans into the parts of TTRPGing that video games can't replicate, and easing up on the areas where computers will always be better.
Also, most of the war gamers I know didn’t think 4e played anything like one, and most ardent 4e players I know were never into war games.

Because 4e didn’t play like a war game, at all.

GreyLord

Legend
Also, most of the war gamers I know didn’t think 4e played anything like one, and most ardent 4e players I know were never into war games.

Because 4e didn’t play like a war game, at all.

I've been a hardcore wargamer. I'm typically a board wargamer (boards, chits, etc) rather than a miniatures wargamer.

Most wargamers of my class did not play 4e (though I did), but most of them that are the hardcores and the old fogies don't play D&D period.

Of the miniatures wargamers many played 4e. 4e was FAR closer to the original roots of OD&D wargaming from a wargamer's perspective than most other games that have come since AD&D. The ONLY one that I'd say was closer is probably 3.5 in regards to how rules and such work

In fact, 3.5 would probably be the only one that I could translate into a skirmish type miniatures wargame overall that would appeal to the general miniatures wargamer.

4e on the otherhand is overblow with how much people talk about videogames and such. The FIRST TIME I READ through 3e, do you know what I thought...they are trying to recreate Diablo 2. It had far MORE items to me in regards to the current video games of the time in it's appeal with feats such as whirlwind (direct rip off of a Diablo power) and feat trees.

4e had some WoW ideas thrown in, but in other ways (fixed XP table for one, more XP to actually advance than the quick advancement table of 3e and 3.5) was a throw back to some of the more traditional elements of D&D. However, the problem with 4e that I see many have is not the core of the system (which is actually essentially a simplified form of 3e and 3.5) but the powers system that is attached to it and runs most of the show in combat. I feel it was more the powers systems and the portrayal of 4e as well as marketing that put a bad taste for it in many gamer's mouths. It took the excesses of 3.5 too far for a LOT of gamers and rather than tamper down on restrictions and special powers, ramped it up far past 11. Everything in combat became situational and players did not feel as if they had the freedom to act as they wanted.

In this I see a 5e that has gone the opposite direction inspiring a more free form approach to the rules (though there are still plenty of those who want to play it as specific and restricted as possible) while tamping down on the powers and specific abilities and moves that restrict others from doing similar things.

Back on subject. 4e didn't really play like a wargame, even a board and chits wargame. However, to me it did feel like it played like a BOARD GAME in combat encounters...not a wargame boardgame, but more like a boardgame similar to things such as Talisman, or Descent, or Warhammer quest or Heroquest.

That isn't a wargame per se, but more a miniatures boardgame.

I dare to say it will be at least later a second videogame after Baldur's Gate 3. And a videogame with d20 system but set in the modern age or space opera.

gyor

Legend
PHB2 will never happen, because WotC figured out it hurts their sales. Same thing with targeted books. Odd compilation books are where the money is, not slicing up the market.

They have increased the pace of release considerably: last year there were four hardcovers, this year there were four hardcovers and three new boxed sets.

For hard cover books they have released Aquisistions Inq, Saltmarsh, BG: DiA, Tyranny of Dragons, and soon Eberron: Rising From the Last War, that is 5 hardcover books.

I will add 2 Beatles and Grim products will also be released this year, a BG: DiA plantium edition and Eberron Gold Edition.

Now for 2020 I don't know how many box sets and hard covers they will release for D&D. How many different starter boxes can they release? Nu

Perhaps they make box sets for settings instead of starter sets.

The books I think they will be releasing I think for 2019 are Exandia, Desert of Desolation AP, Planescape/MtG book/manual of the planes book, a Kara Tur/Al Qadim Setting book, and a BG3 tie in AP.

Last edited:

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
How to explain it with an example? Do you know the car tuning? Hasbro doesn't want to sell lots of pieces of car tuning but the goal is a car in all homes, and after selling pieces for car tuning. Hasbro want to sell the doll, and after when are the girls with one, then to sell clothes for this doll (and the car, and the house, and the pets..)

You can create your house rules, but these to become official is different. If those changes aren't in the retroclon games it will be because some reason. You can create new rules for other board game as Risk or Monopoly, but to sell more they game needs simple rules to be easy to be learnt by the new players.

Hasbro doesn't want a D&D like a Dark Souls for hardcore gamers but a Mario Bros for the new players who are starting. Hasbro doesn't want to sell a hard challenge for fans of model building but a "kindergarten block kit". Hasbro doesn't want to sell a Shakespeare's or Tolstoi novel but a Julio Verne or Emilio Salgari's book adapted to teen public.

3.5 was lot of crunch (feat, spells, magic item..) and now 5th Ed is recycling the fluff (lore or background). A new edition only can be after when nothing new can be added. With DM Guild you have enough crunch to fill up. WotC doesn't need risks yet, but to publish something 3rd party publishers can't sell so good.

The next edition will not be D&D but a different name, for example Universal d20 system, and with a feedback not only from players, but with idead from the own 3rd Party publishers to can be added to their own settings (for example Courage as ability score for a gothic horror setting).

I agree with you until the last paragraph. The next edition will be d&d. The brand name is too valuable to give up.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've been a hardcore wargamer. I'm typically a board wargamer (boards, chits, etc) rather than a miniatures wargamer.

Most wargamers of my class did not play 4e (though I did), but most of them that are the hardcores and the old fogies don't play D&D period.

Of the miniatures wargamers many played 4e. 4e was FAR closer to the original roots of OD&D wargaming from a wargamer's perspective than most other games that have come since AD&D. The ONLY one that I'd say was closer is probably 3.5 in regards to how rules and such work

In fact, 3.5 would probably be the only one that I could translate into a skirmish type miniatures wargame overall that would appeal to the general miniatures wargamer.

4e on the otherhand is overblow with how much people talk about videogames and such. The FIRST TIME I READ through 3e, do you know what I thought...they are trying to recreate Diablo 2. It had far MORE items to me in regards to the current video games of the time in it's appeal with feats such as whirlwind (direct rip off of a Diablo power) and feat trees.

4e had some WoW ideas thrown in, but in other ways (fixed XP table for one, more XP to actually advance than the quick advancement table of 3e and 3.5) was a throw back to some of the more traditional elements of D&D. However, the problem with 4e that I see many have is not the core of the system (which is actually essentially a simplified form of 3e and 3.5) but the powers system that is attached to it and runs most of the show in combat. I feel it was more the powers systems and the portrayal of 4e as well as marketing that put a bad taste for it in many gamer's mouths. It took the excesses of 3.5 too far for a LOT of gamers and rather than tamper down on restrictions and special powers, ramped it up far past 11. Everything in combat became situational and players did not feel as if they had the freedom to act as they wanted.

In this I see a 5e that has gone the opposite direction inspiring a more free form approach to the rules (though there are still plenty of those who want to play it as specific and restricted as possible) while tamping down on the powers and specific abilities and moves that restrict others from doing similar things.

Back on subject. 4e didn't really play like a wargame, even a board and chits wargame. However, to me it did feel like it played like a BOARD GAME in combat encounters...not a wargame boardgame, but more like a boardgame similar to things such as Talisman, or Descent, or Warhammer quest or Heroquest.

That isn't a wargame per se, but more a miniatures boardgame.

It ia notable that 4E rules are still being used for new board games.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For hard cover books they have released Aquisistions Inq, Saltmarsh, BG: DiA, Tyranny of Dragons, and soon Eberron: Rising From the Last War, that is 5 hardcover books.

I will add 2 Beatles and Grim products will also be released this year, a BG: DiA plantium edition and Eberron Gold Edition.

Now for 2020 I don't know how many box sets and hard covers they will release for D&D. How many different starter boxes can they release? Nu

Perhaps they make box sets for settings instead of starter sets.

The books I think they will be releasing I think for 2019 are Exandia, Desert of Desolation AP, Planescape/MtG book/manual of the planes book, a Kara Tur/Al Qadim Setting book, and a BG3 tie in AP.

Tyranny of Dragons is a limited run premium reprint, not a new book.

Remove ads