D&D (2024) 6E When?

gyor

Legend
I dare to say it will be at least later a second videogame after Baldur's Gate 3. And a videogame with d20 system but set in the modern age or space opera.

I think there will be more then just a second game for D&D. If BG3 is a smash hit and I think it will be, then their will be a push for sequel on Larian Studios. Then their is WotC's own Tuque Studios games. And one can't rule out other game Studios making deals with WotC for access so some of their other settings, like all the Studios that wanted to make BG3. Or even a Studio making NWN3 or Pool of Radiance 3, of Temple of Elemental Evil 2 ect...

But the experience working with the videogames will teach a lot of things, something like a hardcore playtesting for possible modules. Should I to buy a expensive magic wand, gunpowder & firearms, or to hire a squire to reload my crossbows from behind a tower shield? can I send my familiar to leave a paper with a magic teletransportation rune to go to a far zone, avoiding a hard climbing or rooms with traps? With informatic simulations they are going to test the rules about mass battles, ship fights, sieges against strongholds or skirmishes against warbands.

D20 system is nice for fantasy but it isn't ready for crossovers with different genres, for example planetary romance, postapocalypse or space opera, because the XPs reward should be different if modern technology allow a enemy to be too easier or harder to be defeated.

Let's imagine they want to publish a videogame about investigation and paranormal horror, like "the sinking city", with puzzles. The game studio may notice they need some changes and even to create a new d20 system killing some sacred cows as the six abilities scores. (Sometimes in the past I have suggested new abilities scores, courage(bravery), acuity (perception + astuteness) and spirit (karma/fate/luck/guardian angel, faith, hope and resistance against supernatural influences).

If it works, why to change it? Now players want the return or update of their favorite titles, and later new things will start to be published. And the cadence of books is slower, most of these are modules or bluff/lore/background than crunch(spells, feats, magic item, subclasses, races).

Before the next edition a new original setting will have to be published. When I say original I mean a new IP starting from zero, not the adaptation of other known franchise (like a videogame or movie saga). In the last years of an edition they dare to risk and to publish new ideas for classes with some special mechanic (incarnum, martial maneuvers, truename, vestige pacts, shadow mysteries).

And if the projects for the mass media (movies, videogames and teleseries in streaming services) are enough successful then a new edition would be too risky, not yet until there are too many complains about broken balance of power.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It ia notable that 4E rules are still being used for new board games.
I recall Castle Ravenloft, &c, they did use recognizable rules from 4e, to the point they made a nice on-ramp. 4e was a simpler, more accessible system in a lot of ways, it just had a lot more material a lot faster.

It'd seem odd, at this point not to make any new D&D board game based on 5e, to be a lead-in to it. But....4e & 5e share more DNA than it might seem, are you sure you're not just seeing a simplified 5e in whatever game you're talking about?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I recall Castle Ravenloft, &c, they did use recognizable rules from 4e, to the point they made a nice on-ramp. 4e was a simpler, more accessible system in a lot of ways, it just had a lot more material a lot faster.

It'd seem odd, at this point not to make any new D&D board game based on 5e, to be a lead-in to it. But....4e & 5e share more DNA than it might seem, are you sure you're not just seeing a simplified 5e in whatever game you're talking about?

No, the new Dungeon of the Mad Mage boardgame uses the same rules as the Castle Ravenloft boardgame, which is itself still in print (also Princes of the Apocalypse, Tomb of Annihilation and the other older versions of the game like Legend of Drizzt and Wrath of Asharladon (sp?)).

They have specifically said they have no plans to update the board game to fit 5E rules, because they have a greater value in supporting the boardgame fanbase with continuing to use 4E compatible rules. Go figure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

For reference, showing details about the rules and how they ha e published three new 4E boardgames in the past 4 years:

gyor

Legend
For reference, showing details about the rules and how they ha e published three new 4E boardgames in the past 4 years:

In a sense 4e lives on. For 4e fans how reusable are elements from the board game for playing regular 4e D&D?

Remove ads