D&D (2024) 6E When?

Zardnaar

Legend
A few mentions of 6E have been made with some posters stating that 5E is an evergreen edition etc.

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. I woudnt take the designers quotes to literally but it does indicate that they want a long run for 5E.

Eventually 5E will hit saturation point. What I mean by that is they will hit a point if declining sales. Broadly speaking everyone who wants a phb has one. After that you will have a decking amount of sales.
Now the first time this happens on eBay I bet people will be chicken little in the forums.

I wouldn't worry unless it happens two years in a row or three.

Eventually this will happen or the new shiny feeling wears off or whatever. Might take 8, 10 or 13 years.

Another hint is splat books with all sorts if experimental, odd and new subsystems.

Anyway expect 6E about 2 years after they get 2 or 3 years of declining sales.

We're not there yet, even if 2019 is less than 2018 well probably know next year.

Sometime in the next 2-3 years I would not be surprised if that happens. 5E will be 10 years old in 2014.

So the absolute earliest would be 2022 or 2023 assuming 2019 and 2020 have decking sales. I don't think we're there yet so would put 2022/23 into the I would be surprised basket.

2024 would be the earliest I would expect to see 6E give or take a year. I don't expect 2013 but it's not to far out there.

2024/25 is roughly my expectation. Would not be overly surprised 2026/2027.

Anything past that date would I would be surprised. Note that would be a 13 year cycle. No D&D has lasted that long with the exception of BECMI and that wasn't in continuous production and had very limited support.

The only thing we can really predict IMHO is the next few years. People move on, CEOs change, recessions happen.

Tony Vargas

Legend
A few mentions of 6E have been made with some posters stating that 5E is an evergreen edition etc.
Oh, there'll be a 6e. It might not be called that - 5e is mainly called that by longtime fans - but there'll be new printings, and, eventually a new or 'special' edition. Maybe it'll have slightly altered rules, maybe it'll just have cool or thematic art. But it'll happen. Someday.

Zardnaar

Legend
Oh, there'll be a 6e. It might not be called that - 5e is mainly called that by longtime fans - but there'll be new printings, and, eventually a new or 'special' edition. Maybe it'll have slightly altered rules, maybe it'll just have cool or thematic art. But it'll happen. Someday.

I don't regard variant art as new edition.

If 5E is still going 2024 I expect some sort of 50th anniversary edition.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I dunno - they've not even done the relatively small things that can monetize an RPG with a huge base of players that have bought in to 5e.

I mean no PHB 2 yet.
No focused splat books.
No 5.5e redesign - which is what I honestly expect next before 6e at this point.
No increasing of the release cycle.

There's a lot of things we will see before we get anywhere near 6e IMO.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I dunno - they've not even done the relatively small things that can monetize an RPG with a huge base of players that have bought in to 5e.

I mean no PHB 2 yet.
No focused splat books.
No 5.5e redesign - which is what I honestly expect next before 6e at this point.
No increasing of the release cycle.

There's a lot of things we will see before we get anywhere near 6e IMO.

PHB2 will never happen, because WotC figured out it hurts their sales. Same thing with targeted books. Odd compilation books are where the money is, not slicing up the market.

They have increased the pace of release considerably: last year there were four hardcovers, this year there were four hardcovers and three new boxed sets.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't regard variant art as new edition.

Then by that definition, there may never be another edition. Certainly, there will be a "6E", though it won't be marketed as such anymore than 5E is (look around, there is no marketing for 5E, anywhere, just "D&D": marketing an "Edition" has proven to be bad business).

As to when: either a 50th anniversary special in 2024 consolidating rules variants from 5E and tweaking the rules that are exceptions, not the base. If not then, then much, much later.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases