• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 75 Feats -- not nearly enough

Pedantic

Legend
Tried to kill, put out a whole system for, tomato, tomahto.
That's some ex-post facto nonsense. I was in the edition war trenches, "you don't need a craft skill, just say your character is a blacksmith because it doesn't matter if it's written on your character sheet" was a standard volley. They don't get credit for eventually fixing an error, unless you're going to recognize it as an error to begin with.

That's some ex-post facto nonsense. I was in the edition war trenches, "you don't need a craft skill, just say your character is a blacksmith because it doesn't matter if it's written on your character sheet" was a standard volley. They don't get credit for eventually fixing an error, unless you're going to recognize it as an error to begin with.
I never hear any gorgnard talk about how their woodworking saved their party from a TPK. Or a DM on how many ranks of perform comedy the town jokester should have. Or hear a power gamer brag about how they got a +50 on their craft (cheese) skill and broke a game with it.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Characters of War came out shortly after the PH1

Hard to say they 'killed' anything when it came in before even the Bard and so soon in the design cycle that it would have been in production before the complaints about a lack of crafting started.

I dunno, maybe there was too much smoke and manufactured outrage at the goblin harpoonist and eladrins in prison to have seen that in the trenches.

Characters of War came out shortly after the PH1

Hard to say they 'killed' anything when it came in before even the Bard and so soon in the design cycle that it would have been in production before the complaints about a lack of crafting started.

I dunno, maybe there was too much smoke and manufactured outrage at the goblin harpoonist and eladrins in prison to have seen that in the trenches.

Wait, was that one of the soft cover 16/32 page mini books WOTC put out? Can you post a link cause I think most people don't remember that one.

Lupin

Explorer
Thank god for OSR.
+1.
---
Wasn't the first release of D&D 5th Edition the Basic Rules PDF that only mention Feats as an optional feature?

Isn't that also the version that was showered with praise as an excellent, almost OSR-like edition of the game? I get the impression that the extra materials in the PHB not in the Basic Rules, like Feats, weren't so tightly designed and playtested. (And yes, I recognize that there is some amount of recency bias in the RPG space, but 4th Edition sure had been immune to much of it.)

Remove ads