D&D 5E (2014 5E!) What feats need that missing ASI???

Horwath

Legend
If I was changing feats, I would ammend the first part of Mage Slayer:

When a creature within 5 feet of you cas ts a spell, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against that creature. If this attack hits, the target must make a Concentration check or its spell is ruined.

But that would make it pretty darn powerful IMO.
IMHO, that should be core game feature.
maybe not for spells that target self or melee attack spells.

Most definitely. Although the combination with eldritch blast cantrip invocations is powerful, it is useful for any caster who casts attack spells into melee, which is half of them IME.
There are only about a dozen or so ranged spells that require attack rolls in the entire game. And any spell that forces a save can be cast into melee (or cover) without trouble. Our experiences differ :)

Although I think 2024 Sorcerers might start taking it.

ezo

Get off my lawn!
IMHO, that should be core game feature.
maybe not for spells that target self or melee attack spells.
If you took a Ready action triggered when someone casts a spell, I would agree. Somehow using your reaction to interrupt a spell when you are planning for it should exist. As it stands, you can attack someone when they commence casting a spell, but it doesn't spoil the spell possibly on the hit. :(

There are only about a dozen or so ranged spells that require attack rolls in the entire game. And any spell that forces a save can be cast into melee (or cover) without trouble. Our experiences differ :)
FWIW, my own spellcasters nearly always have a "save" attack spell for such reasons, but there are times when actual attack spells see the love of Spell Sniper, particularly with the double range IME. "Save" attack spells cannot benefit from that, so each has their pros and cons IMO.

Clint_L

Legend
Also, I have absolutely no intention of bothering with any 2024 material. Just because it is coming out doesn't mean everyone under the Sun is excited about it, the changes, or planning on using it.
Well, it seems like there's one change you are definitely planning on using.

I think every feat should have a +1 ASI. A few might need to be slightly down-tuned to make that more equitable. Right now I bet that 3/4 of feats are barely used; they should be massaged until there is more balance, allowing for the fact that a few are more esoteric for RP reasons.

In fact, WotC should have the data on this, through DDB. I think they should balance feats and skills based on how often they are actually taken/used, per that data.

Edit: and ban "lucky." That's my requisite request in every feats thread. It's terrible for the story. It and Halfling luck should burn in a fire, alongside Healing Word. IMO.

Last edited:

ezo

Get off my lawn!
Well, it seems like there's one change you are definitely planning on using.
Not really. This is a change that has been long in the making, first it was making all feats into half-feats and allowing floating ASIs as separate things.

Just because WotC is finally catching up... 🤷‍♂️

ezo

Get off my lawn!
OP has been updated with first "final draft".
1718328824639.png

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
defensive duelist i'd make DEX/CON, given it's meant to be a defensive option bumping CON seems like a good shoring up of your vitality if an attack does get through your AC boost

personally i don't see the issue giving prodigy a floating ASI, it's a species feat exclusive to three species choices, it might outclass skill expert in the specific circumstances when in consideration to those three but isn't that part of the nature of making restricted options vs more available ones?

ezo

Get off my lawn!
defensive duelist i'd make DEX/CON, given it's meant to be a defensive option bumping CON seems like a good shoring up of your vitality if an attack does get through your AC boost
I went with STR/DEX since those are the two weapon attack ability scores. You're either parrying via deflection or block/ guard. The former being DEX-based, the latter STR-based IMO.

The point of the feat is to not allow the attack to get through, not shoring up hit points in case it does.

However, for simplicty and to make things more versatile, you could probably group feats into three (maybe four) categories: physical, mental, and neither (and maybe any). Any "physical" feat could be STR, DEX, or CON ASI, a "mental" feat of course would have the options of INT, WIS, or CHA for ASI. The "neither" group wouldn't have any ASI, and if you include the fourth group the ASI would be floating.

personally i don't see the issue giving prodigy a floating ASI, it's a species feat exclusive to three species choices, it might outclass skill expert in the specific circumstances when in consideration to those three but isn't that part of the nature of making restricted options vs more available ones?
I actually considered this... Currently Resilient, Skilled, and Skill Expert (though I don't like it) are the only three that basically allow a floating ASI.

However, in keeping with my personal philosophy that any ASI should have a tie in to the feat it comes from, such as Resilient granting the ASI to the saving throw proficiency gained by the feat.

Although I think Skilled is a very nice feat, I know a lot of people don't consider it very strong, so I added a "floating ASI" to that one, but really I would prefer the ASI to be linked to one of three skill proficiencies gained (CON being the only other option since it has no linked skills).

I would also prefer if Skill Expert worked similarly. Pick a skill, pick a skill for expertise, gain ASI in the ability linked to either the skill or expertise granted by the feat. (Again, CON could be an exception as an addition choice since it has no linked skills.)

Prodigy (as shown) has the race prerequisite, but honestly from day 1 we houseruled removing that--it seems a silly and unfounded restriction. Why should only human and part-human have "prodigies" in their race?? So, I debated including it in the draft above since we don't use it, but decided ultimately to leave it in to reflect a more RAW-view.

If anything, I would have the ASI for Prodigy be linked to either the skill or expertise, with CON an extra option as with the others.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I was going to say weapon master but didn't see it on your list. Turns out it does allow an ASI so I guess I just consider it so trash even with a boost to strength or dexterity that I just don't consider it with any character builds.

Remove ads