Level Up (A5E) 8 days to go....

Stalker0

Legend
Similar question to Chain Shirt/Chain Mail compared to Leather Brigandine. Right now Brigandine seems 100% superior in all ways.

Just doing some quick compares to the O5e table, it looks like many armors are lighter in LU (in terms of lbs per AC bonus).

The biggest mechanical change I can see. With half-plate now being a heavy option, medium armor can now only get 17 ACs through big dex. This is a nerf to some clerics who only have medium armor prof. Meanwhile the leather brigandine does give a reason for high dex light armor wearers to consider medium armor proficiency (for a net +1 AC).

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
The biggest mechanical change I can see. With half-plate now being a heavy option, medium armor can now only get 17 ACs through big dex. This is a nerf to some clerics who only have medium armor prof. Meanwhile the leather brigandine does give a reason for high dex light armor wearers to consider medium armor proficiency (for a net +1 AC).
It's possible one or more of the cleric archetypes allow for heavy armor? I know that War clerics do, but I seem to recall that LU was using different types of cleric archetypes.

In the cleric playtest, you started with no armor proficiency and got to choose from adding your Wis mod to your AC, light and medium armor + bows, or light and medium armor + shields. If that option survived, then assuming that a typical shield still gives +2 to AC, then you can start with an 18 AC (leather brigandine, plus a 16 Dex, +2 shield) or even higher if you roll for stats and max out Dex.

This chart reminds me of the speculation I did on magic items. I should go take another look at that.

And yes, the Medium armor section needs its dividing line and darker background set.

If requests are still open, I definitely want to see the materials tables. It looks like there's a lot of interesting stuff going on here.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If requests are still open, I definitely want to see the materials tables. It looks like there's a lot of interesting stuff going on here.
I was wondering when somebody would ask for that. You were in first, so here it is! I'll note as a caveat that this page is still undergoing some last minute playtest tweaks, so the final book may vary slightly.

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.25.32 PM.png

Remove ads