Level Up (A5E) 8 days to go....

Stalker0

Legend
Notes on the material section to hopefully help the playtest:

1) Adamantine: The mechanic of needing a short rest here with the armor is pretty narratively jarring. I could respect it if required "repair" before the anti-crit kicked in again, but just a short rest magically kicks the metal back into form....that's just too much narrative hand waving. I think we can do better. Maybe this should use some old mechanics, like on a crit a person needs to make another successful attack roll to actually hit you or something

2) Leather: WHAT!!? Wearing leather makes me bad at telling lies or detecting lies.....WHAT??? Let me think about....what!!!! Just no, flat no, hell no.

3) Bone, Cold Iron, Mithral all look real solid. The effects make total sense to me.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
2) Leather: WHAT!!? Wearing leather makes me bad at telling lies or detecting lies.....WHAT??? Let me think about....what!!!! Just no, flat no, hell no.
Hide. Not leather.

The descriptive section expresses that Hide is a form of untreated leather. Animal skins and the like, of course. And then while wearing Hide, rather than leather, you can't get the expertise dice while in Urban Environments. Because people look down their nose on your crude hide clothing.

Stalker0

Legend
Hide. Not leather.

The descriptive section expresses that Hide is a form of untreated leather. Animal skins and the like, of course. And then while wearing Hide, rather than leather, you can't get the expertise dice while in Urban Environments. Because people look down their nose on your crude hide clothing.
If they really do mean only Hide gets the penalty.... then that needs to be its own section. The section has a big bolded Leather on it....its very natural for someone to assume that the section expounds upon the title, especially since hide armor itself has no connection to the word leather. It would be very reasonable for someone to look up hide armor, go "ok let me see what hide does", find no title called Hide and go "ok I guess there are no special properties then".

Beyond that, I could maaaaybe see the penalty for persuasion in your context. But lying? Being able to judge lies? People looking down at me doesn't suddenly make them better liars against me. And of course this is the mechanics imposing a very specific cultural narrative on me. If I live in a city next to friendly druids....hide might not give me a penalty it might give me a bonus! The property of other materials is based on that material.... aka the actual material itself (adamantine blocks crits because the metal is crazy hard, not because I "believe it can"). Hide's penalty is based on a cultural reaction to it....a cultural reaction that may have no basis in someone's game. Again I think that's a terrible way to balance things, there are far better solutions to balancing leather than this.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Materials-wise, there's no difference between iron and bronze, which makes the iron breastplate a real winner. Do you really need both? Why not just combine them (iron or bronze breastplate) and split the difference on cost?

Notes on the material section to hopefully help the playtest:

1) Adamantine: The mechanic of needing a short rest here with the armor is pretty narratively jarring. I could respect it if required "repair" before the anti-crit kicked in again, but just a short rest magically kicks the metal back into form....that's just too much narrative hand waving. I think we can do better. Maybe this should use some old mechanics, like on a crit a person needs to make another successful attack roll to actually hit you or something
Definitely agreed here. I'd be more inclined to say that adamantine can't get rusted or ripped into otherwise destroyed.

It's specifically hide armor, not leather armor. But yeah, this is pretty dumb. I guess hide is supposed to look "barbaric" but these sort of penalties should be based on culture or background if they needed to be included at all. There's no reason for the base game to include them.

Remove ads