D&D 5E 9-Page Preview of Nazi Dracula Must Die!

The title is not an unreasonable proposition! This World War 2 D&D setting from Crystal Quill Press is on Kickstarter now. You can download a free 9-page preview.

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 3.33.53 PM.png

With new subclasses like Special Ops (ranger), the School of Merlin (wizard), and Sniper (rogue), NPOCs like Merlin, Baba Yaga, Einstein, and, of course, Dracula himself, and a 2-hour adventure for 5th level characters, this weird science setting is all about the pulp action.

The design team is enormous, with about 20 experienced writers and artists, and the company is committed to paying them a fair wage at 20 cents per word for the writers (which is an industry-leading amount!)

You can pick up the PDF for $15, or for $25 you can buy a coupon which lets you buy the physical book a cost from DTRPG later.

It remains to be seen how this Dracula measures up against the Dracula from Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters! Assuming that's him on the cover, he does look a bit like Matt Smith's Doctor Who.

Weiley31

Legend
A simple and elegant solution for it, thanks! One that saves me having to come up with new histories for every race that gets added, and figuring out where they fit into Earth's history.
No prob. I figured the Nazi's Blitz against England and tearing through Europe would end up causing the Fey to have a serious beef against The Third Reich.

Plus I like the idea of both the Seelie and Unseelie Courts entering into an uneasy truce against a common foe, while still engaging in a kind of "cold war" against each other.

Morgan le Fey, The Phantom Queen, could be seen as their representative or at least a reflavor for the Archfey Warlock Patron for "Fey" Warlocks in that case.

Also, time to add werebears as a playable race:

eli roth brad pitt gif GIF

Weiley31

Legend
Now I'm imagining a resurrected Joan of Ark/Jeanne D'arc (as a reflavored Assimar) being a Paladin and smiting Nazi undead/demons while leading Allied forces in France to victory.

NotAYakk

Legend
Here is a very small rework:

Paladin tweaks:

Warcry: The number of creature's limit is pretty silly given that it is only a movement speed buff. And without undead/fiends/etc nearby, it is very lackluster. Beef that part up a bit.... Like:

In addition, a number of friendly creatures of your choice equal to your charisma bonus gain 10' of movement speed until the end of your next turn, and the first time they hit a creature while they have this bonus they deal extra damage equal to your proficiency bonus.

---

Aura of Endurance, make it changable with an action, and a list of damage types (fire, cold, poison, acid, lightning, thunder, necrotic, radiant). The cost in combat is still large, so you'll want to plan ahead; but you don't need to plan ahead a full day (which seems very metagamey for a charismatic paladin).

You are still rewarded if you know "there is a dragon coming, fire resist" by not losing a (precious precious) action in combat. But if a dragon appears out of nowhere, you can go "rally to me!" and burn an action.

---

Warlock tweaks:

Pan's Stealth Hoof: As written, but as an action you can do that and hide.

This makes it usable in combat by RAW.

The Eidolon is so evocative but doesn't do anything. It needs to have some fun. A reason to chat with it.

Pan's Protective Eidolon: The spirit is immune to taking damage, and it stays within 20' of you. It has truesight (but only on things within 30' of you), 8 intelligence 14 wisdom and 12 charisma, and adds twice your proficiency bonus to its nature and survival checks.

There, now it can be a character and it adds some fun utility. The extremely limited range truesight (it can see through illusions, being a spirit), modest stas and the ability to talk to you (and hence, aid with nature/survival checks).

Pan's Beguiling Pipes:
Each target can make another Wisdom saving throw at the end of any turn there is danger or violence, such as combat, around it, ending the effect on it on a success.

This means if you use it out of combat, you get a guaranteed minute of charm on a success. In combat, it acts the same.

Pan's Irresitable Vines:
A creature that has succeeded on a saving throw against these vines has advantage on all future saving throws agains the vines.

This is intended to soften it if your allies no-save immobalize a legendary creature and you drop your vines on it. (No save immobalize is grapple, for example, or sentinal). This would generate a save/turn that the monster couldn't afford to lose.

There are very, very few abilities in 5e that let you use 1 ability to force multiple successful save-or-sucks on a foe for pretty much exactly this reason.

We could even go further and make it "once you save, you are immune", but I like the idea that it is still perilous. Hence, you start saving with advantage.

Don't forget the water from the source in Lourdes is the best to hurt vampires, undeads and other unholy creatures. It's a secret that the infiltrated within Hollywood didn't want you know.

How do I imagine Spain and Mexico in this setting? Starting the second Cristero war. The vampires ruled secret lodges and these tried to destroy the faith. Spain has got the best vampire-hunters, but here we are too busy with own zombie apocalypse. (Do you know the Spanish horror movie "[REC]"?). Let's say Hispanoamerica is like "From Dusk Till Dawn".

Italy? Mussolini was killed and reanimated, and now it's a half-golem, a "promethean", something like the Frankenstein monster. At least their army of celedones (female cyborgs army) can terminate the zombie hordes without being infected. And secret projects about psionic powers.

Turkey? The caliphate has ended, and now the Turkic gods, or somebodies who say to be them, have come back. Also happen in Greece, Egypt and Middle East. Here the Muslims are too busy, and this time they aren't the antagonists but rebels against a fictional neopagan oppressor.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Dammit! I want to back this KS, but I can't spend anything more on non-essitial stuff this month (budgets and priorities and all that).

The title is not an unreasonable proposition! This World War 2 D&D setting from Crystal Quill Press is on Kickstarter now. You can download a free 9-page preview.

View attachment 127143

With new subclasses like Special Ops (ranger), the School of Merlin (wizard), and Sniper (rogue), NPOCs like Merlin, Baba Yaga, Einstein, and, of course, Dracula himself, and a 2-hour adventure for 5th level characters, this weird science setting is all about the pulp action.

The design team is enormous, with about 20 experienced writers and artists, and the company is committed to paying them a fair wage at 20 cents per word for the writers (which is an industry-leading amount!)

You can pick up the PDF for $15, or for $25 you can buy a coupon which lets you buy the physical book a cost from DTRPG later.

It remains to be seen how this Dracula measures up against the Dracula from Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters! Assuming that's him on the cover, he does look a bit like Matt Smith's Doctor Who.

Perhaps "Communist Strahd Must Die" could be the sequel.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I think I want this just to see how they pull it off!

Edit: A satisfying 2-hour adventure seems like an incredible feat by itself...

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases