D&D 5E A 5e BECMI?

nnms

First Post
I'm definitely pro 5E BECMI.

Though I'm not really use how much Immortals needs to be there.

I think I'd like to see a very basic core game with obvious extensions. I think the Pathfinder Basic is a good example, but then the jump to the full game is a bit big. Basic box and then... 576 page book. :eek:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I think the 10-levels idea has a lot of merit.

I think this mostly because D&D is functionally a 10 level game, most of the time.

But rather than a default progression, I could see it being more like an optional toolkit: "Here's the rules to go into levels 10+...if you want to take your game to that heroic level!"

nnms

First Post
That sounds like a really good idea. Just make the normal adventurer game go to 10 and then have an extension for 10+. I'd be all over that.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
A related BECMI approach might be to do a big fat box o' goodness, akin to the Pathfinder Beginner's Box, as the initial release, with subsequent releases in a format similar to Essentials, but sized to fit inside that same box. :)

For gods' sakes, get that box marketed in Toys 'R' Us! Don't fumble the beginner's set again, please! It is your best chance to grab new players!

A $15 - $20 dollar expansion book to cover classes and rules not covered in the initial box (so two level 1-5 releases) then other releases either expanding into higher levels or setting specific.

Put a mass combat system into a book for around level 6 - 10, monster books also by level. Prestige classes in both the setting books and in the level appropriate books.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads