D&D 5E A 5e BECMI?

havard

Adventurer
BECMI is a good place for WotC to look for ideas.

Both the customizable level of complexity and the really wide scope (Dungeon Crawls, Wilderness Exploration, Dominion Management, Planar Exploration, Making Magic Items, Epic Quests, Goodhood/Immortality.) still makes that a unique gem in the history of D&D.

-Havard

Rechan

Adventurer
This is something I'd like to see for 4e but it's unlikely, and ties into the idea of a 5e BECMI.

I would really like to see books (likely more DMing) aimed specifically at the Tiers of Play. What those tiers are about and ways to emphasize that, how to utilize the stories there. There could be rules in there pertinent to just those tiers - Paragon (equivalent levels 10-15 in 3e) would be the ideal place for rules about building keeps, gaining followers, etc.

Particularly for the upper levels, how to run them; one of the problems of both 3e and 4e are the high levels, and support for those levels. Tips on how to run them, as well as provide advice for dealing with the non-mechanical elements too.

I personally would buy monster books dedicated to only a certain level range of monsters, rather try to shoe-horn in stuff that I would never use. I've never played past level 10 in any edition, so as a Dm and player I have no use for pages dealing with those levels; having the option to not have it, and instead focus on the levels I play all the time, would be ideal to me.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Not sure where this fits into the scheme of things, but two of my players have said that they would buy a BECMI 5e for their kids... which is weird, since the couple does not yet have any kids. Makes me wonder.... :)

They just celebrated their anniversary the 21st of December.

The Auld Grump

Schmoe

Adventurer
So, regardless of anything else, I say Trim The Fat. Write it up in 64 pages. Sell it in a box with an adventure and dice and, if you're so inclined, another 64 page book full of setting or other "flavor" material. But make it complete and playable and fun and worth the investment.

That's exactly why I started my kid with the Basic set. I want him to be able to read through the rulebook without being completely overwhelmed. The barrier to entry for someone new to RPGs is huge, especially without a veteran to guide them through it. The core game should be easily accessible, not a 900 page behemoth spread across three tomes.

delericho

Legend
I doubt 5e will go the BECMI route.

I suspect that adopting this as the only model for distributing the rules would be a step too far for gamers who are by now used to the traditional hardback book model. And I doubt WotC would risk having two overlapping presentations for the same game - they would fear competing with themselves.

However, they most certainly should look into doing a really good starter set for 5e. And, although it may not be a popular thing to say, they really should take a good long look at the Pathfinder set. Indeed, they could do a lot worse than to simply clone that product (albeit with D&D rules).

Slimming down the core ruleset (ideally so that the PHB/DMG/MM becomes a single book of about the size and scope of the SWSE core rulebook) would also be a good idea. Make the game easy to get into, easy to start playing, and immediately fun, and then add the expansions for the people who want them.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I doubt 5e will go the BECMI route.

I suspect that adopting this as the only model for distributing the rules would be a step too far for gamers who are by now used to the traditional hardback book model. And I doubt WotC would risk having two overlapping presentations for the same game - they would fear competing with themselves.

Slimming down the core ruleset (ideally so that the PHB/DMG/MM becomes a single book of about the size and scope of the SWSE core rulebook) would also be a good idea. Make the game easy to get into, easy to start playing, and immediately fun, and then add the expansions for the people who want them.

I agree. I think the BECMI route by itself, would probably be very popular in some quarters, but ultimately not overall. You can see this by the outrage at not having a bard class in 4E PHB 1, for example. :p

However, starter book that is self contained + PHB, DMG, and MM--really only has one objection if done well: The people that used to buy the core three now will want the core four. Let's see. I get the starter "book" (even if in a boxed set instead of a book), which has the main rules, and enough classes, races, monsters, and treasure to let me play for awhile. Now suddenly the old core three books aren't having to provide all that. They provide expansion and options to that core. It enriches what they can provide.

In trade for your typical player now wanting at least four books, you get two very good things: A starter set that is integrated into the ruleset, not tacked on. PHB, DMG, and MM really focused on what it says on the cover. And if done right, the folks in the middle can be choosy and/or gradual even so. Get the starter set, and then if you mainly play, maybe the PHB. Or if you want to run a BECMI type game and are happy with the starter set, but want more monsters, get the MM too.

This only works if the starter set is more of a "core basic" set, though.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I would very much like to see a 5E that swings back towards a BECMI-like game (especially the BE part; was never much for CMI play).

In fact, I would go so far to suggest:

Basic Level
- D&D board game, along the lines of the Heroquest game (

Expert Level
- Add-on packs that introduce an outdoor world and campaign game to the above (somewhat like Descent - Road to Legend)

Companion Level
- Rule add-on packs for a more traditional D&D type game (about the complexity of 1E/2E/Castles & Crusades)

Master Level
- In-depth additions on par with Rolemaster/3E level of D&D play

I like this idea though I think they'll use tiles instead of a board.

Rechan

Adventurer
And, although it may not be a popular thing to say, they really should take a good long look at the Pathfinder set.
I'm a 4e fanboy and I plan to give the PF beginner box if I find a kid to give it to. Because a good beginner kit is best, regardless of edition.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
Kind of like throwing out the defining differences between magic users and non-magic users because a previous edition decided that removing the restrictions on magical power was a good idea leading to a mistaken belief that casters were somehow broken?

Yeah, I get that.

Holy :):):):)! I just made this same argument in another thread. Couldn't give you XP for this though. Good stuff.

Remove ads