D&D 5E A bard walks into a bar

Tormyr

Hero
That bard is metal. Seroiusly, look at that lute. I totally want a legit electric lute. I'm making a half-orc bard named D'av Groll so I can have an electric lute.
My brother's first character ever was a half-orc bard, Grahand Gravelsong. He was raised by Devas. It didn't help. Here was his mini.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/red lute/latest/03485

As I was going through my Reaper minis, I came across this gem. I saw it with the electric lute and thought, "I need to create a bard just so that I can use this mini." Looking at how the bard is shaping up, that is even more the case.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/female lute/sku-down/77078

Pickles JG

First Post
That's true, but they got that AS WELL as their other stuff! I guess I
should be clear that I don't want it INSTEAD! :)

I assume this is partly tongue in check as obviously they cannot have full caster abilities & full party inspiration abilities with much power. They do just seem to be a variant cleric or wizard with a janky little buff ability (it reads as too fiddly for its benefit).

I am disappointed they could not make a half caster work as the ranger (presumably) does. Sometinkng like a ranger with team buff/support spells & knowledge/social class features.

(as an aside for all the stick 4e gets for making classes samey, clerics, wizards, bards & sorceres look suprisingly samey to me in 5e, based on the document man was not meant to know)

evilbob

Explorer
Wow, so bards, sorcerers, wizards, and clerics all have the same spell slot chart! How interesting. Also makes me wonder why they bothered to reprint it each time, but I guess it's easier to reference that way.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Looking good to me. And I like the art - she looks like a badass.
<emphasis mine>
Interesting. See, as soon as I looked at the art [which I had seen on ENworld previously and was not a fan. But was not surprised to see that they used/made it into the book], my first thought was "Wow. They're really taking the whole elfin androgyny thing seriously this edition."

There is nothing in that image that makes me say it's a "she." By the same token, there's nothing so explicit to make me...sure...it's a 'he' either. [though I did, upon first viewing, immediately assume it to be a 'he.' But after a moment or two more, I was like...wait a minute...is it?...]

So, for those that like their elves neither masculine nor feminine (or want them all to be feminine) I guess this is a good thing. [I just do not happen to be one of those people.]

I assume this is partly tongue in check as obviously they cannot have full caster abilities & full party inspiration abilities with much power. They do just seem to be a variant cleric or wizard with a janky little buff ability (it reads as too fiddly for its benefit).

No, no, I mean, I don't want to ditch the buffing so that I can have casting INSTEAD. With 2E it was okay because you got it as well, but the buffing is the more exciting part for me. Of course, if they did song-spells, they could have their cake and eat it, just like the Cleric (who is straight-up better than the Bard at buffing the group, which seems... wrong...).

Remathilis

Legend
Wow, so bards, sorcerers, wizards, and clerics all have the same spell slot chart! How interesting. Also makes me wonder why they bothered to reprint it each time, but I guess it's easier to reference that way.

Same reason why they reprint the proficiency table for EVERY class, I'd wager.

Remathilis

Legend
No, no, I mean, I don't want to ditch the buffing so that I can have casting INSTEAD. With 2E it was okay because you got it as well, but the buffing is the more exciting part for me. Of course, if they did song-spells, they could have their cake and eat it, just like the Cleric (who is straight-up better than the Bard at buffing the group, which seems... wrong...).

I'd rather have 5e's than 2e's bardsong stuff...

Players Handbook said:
The music, poetry, and stories of the bard can also be inspirational, rallying friends and allies. If the exact nature of an impending threat is known, the bard can heroically inspire his companions (immortalizing them in word and song), granting a +1 bonus to attack rolls, or a +1 bonus to saving throws, or a +2 bonus to morale (particularly useful in large battles) to those involved in melee. The bard must spend at least three full rounds singing or reciting before the battle begins. This affects those within a range of 10 feet per experience level of the bard.The effect lasts one round per level. Once the effect wears off, it can't be renewed if the recipients are still in battle. However, troops who have withdrawn from combat can be reinspired by the bard's words. A troop of soldiers, inspired by Cwell, could charge into battle. After fighting a fierce fight, they retreat and the enemy does not pursue. Cwell, seeing them crestfallen and dispirited, once again rouses their will to fight. Reinvigorated, they charge back into battle with renewed spirit.

Which means you a.) Must know of the combat 3 minutes before the fight starts. b.) Not have to rely on surprise (since singing gives that away), c.) pick one benefit and d.) at low level, the benefit last less rounds than it took to inspire you in the first place. Oh, and e.) It doesn't scale.

Really, in my experience most bards ended up junior class fighter/mages with unlimited identify ability during the 2e era. They were popular, but not particularly "bardic". The Complete Bard's Handbook really made them playable though!

I'd rather have 5e's than 2e's bardsong stuff...

I agree, but I'd rather have y'know, any other edition's stuff than 5E's stuff. Including previous versions of 5E!

Really, in my experience most bards ended up junior class fighter/mages with unlimited identify ability during the 2e era. They were popular, but not particularly "bardic". The Complete Bard's Handbook really made them playable though!

Yes, yes it did. It was the best. :D

Li Shenron

Legend

True, it takes almost half a page... IMHO it's a mix of quick reference & that they didn't want the class progressions to look empty (also the proficiency progression is reprinted for each class even if it's always the same).

Dayte

Explorer
Somebody's about to get brained with that guitar.

You mean like this -

images

Remove ads