D&D 5E A bard walks into a bar

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
[MENTION=7635]Remathilis[/MENTION] - Definitely agree there. Bards make a very good replacement for Cleric, healing-wise, in that it seems fairly natural to their abilities, they're magical (saving them from the wrath of those who hate non-magic healing), and avoid all the Cleric-y religious business. I really do hope we see one which cuts down on the spellcasting and up on the Bardic abilities, though. I imagine we will, eventually.
Who needs a bladelock when we can have a lutelock? :)

Gundark

Explorer
For some reason Thunderwave plus that lute the Bard is carrying reminds me of

256px-BrutalLegendCover.jpg

I'm happy that we are finally getting a good bard class.

So 2E and 4E's Bards can suck it, I guess? Even 3.5E's!

Seriously, if this is the first "good" Bard class (otherwise why "finally"?), what is your criteria for "good" - full spellcaster is absolutely the ONLY thing this Bard class does that others didn't.

Remathilis

Legend
So 2E and 4E's Bards can suck it, I guess? Even 3.5E's!

Seriously, if this is the first "good" Bard class (otherwise why "finally"?), what is your criteria for "good" - full spellcaster is absolutely the ONLY thing this Bard class does that others didn't.

Personally, I like the fact the bard actually has a real niche without being a "me too" 3rd wheel. I guess the 4e bard had that as well (and the 2e one could fake it for a few levels due the the oddness or rogue Xp charts and spellcasting). Still, its nice to have a bard that feels like he could replace a core member rather than emulate it badly.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Damn it, they cut off at the important bit - Bardic Inspiration - so we don't know if it still sucks hard (as it does in the Alpha) or is awesome (as it was in the October Playtest)!

Fingers crossed for that to have been upgraded.

If not, I'll sit around and hope for a Bard who isn't a full caster, but who has a lot more in the way of, y'know Bard stuff!

Theme/art/fluff-wise seems pretty good, at least.

I'm afraid to hope. Everything else seems very close to the alpha version, & the die shown for Bardic Inspiration are the same as well. Perhaps they upgraded it to party-wide, or <Cha-mod plus Proficiency>/day, but I'm not counting on it.

*sigh* A bard that can't sing (oh, Song of Rest, sorry - can't sing in combat), & can only affect its allies one at a time. The class is dead to me. :(

Remove ads