A BATMAN RPG Has Just Been Announced

Play as vigilantes, criminals or Gotham City cops in the official Batman tabletop RPG! French publisher Monolith Edition has announced Batman Gotham City Chronicles: The Role Playing Game, to be powered by the d20 System. The company already produces the boardgame of the same name, which they successful Kickstarted for nearly $4.5M last year.

bats.jpg

It's not clear whether by "D20 System" they mean the d20 System (from the early 2000s) or if the game will be powered by the 5E ruleset; I'm guessing the latter. The announcement below does refer to it as a "fully adapted D20 System Rulebook". The game will be coming to Kickstarter, though the date has not yet been revealed.

bane.jpg

"Gotham City. This city can do things to people. Change them. I've seen it happen too many times. That's why I'm here. I've seen too many people become monsters."
- Batman - Gotham Knights #23 - Here Be Monsters

Let’s celebrate Batman Day by releasing exclusive news from Gotham City!

Monolith’s roleplaying game set in the Universe of the Caped Crusader allows you to dive into this imposing city in depth, defending Gotham as a vigilante or a police officer.

Remaining true to the essence of Batman, as portrayed in the comic books, was our overriding vision. It’s allowed him to survive 80 years as a Pop Icon, living through multiple media and platform transformations.

So, with that goal firmly in our minds we have assembled a team of Batman Universe Masters and roleplaying games Masters to bring you 5 Batastic books.
  • Gotham’s Heroes by François Verstraete - A fully adapted D20 System Rulebook -
  • Gotham City Guide by Xavier Fournier and Alex Nikolavitch, helped by François Hercouët, editor for the French publisher of DC Comics. A mighty reference tome, detailed and exhaustive, an insight into the City and the world of the Bat.
  • Gotham’s Chronicles by Nicolas Texier, Olivier Caïra and Mahyar Shakeri – A book of scenarios to test your resolve.
  • And, in order to provide the broadest roleplay experience possible, the remaining 2 books will be Campaign settings revealed during the Kickstarter campaign.

You can play as the city's well-known vigilantes and criminals, but also your own creations, or face the tough calls and grind as a Gotham City Police Department officer, who have much to be pitied for in a city like Gotham City.

It is an ambitious project and we’re looking forward to telling you more about it. International artists will be illustrating the books and here’s some teaser sketches for Gotham’s Map by Olivier Sanfilippo as well as rough sketches by Anthony Jean. Stunning!

catwoman.jpg
croc.jpg
nightwing.jpg
robin.jpg
scarecrow.jpg
twoface.jpg
gotham.png

gotham2.png

gotham3.jpg

Last edited:

The question should be "what happens when all the players want to be Bruce Wayne"? A Batman 2 is possible, for example Terry McGinnis, or Damian Wayne in an alternate future. Jean Paul Valley (Azrael) was Batman for a time. Or different members of the same group can be Batman to cover the secret identity.

Or a mini "civil-war" like the new Supermen after of the original Kal-el by Doomday.

I guess the same thing as when all Star Wars players want to be Luke Skywalker and all Judge Dredd RPG players want to be Judge Dredd and all Adventures in Middle Earth players want to be Gandalf — nothing. I would expect that you create your own characters, as is traditional.

Seems to defeat the purpose in using settings like Batman or Star Wars. Who gets stuck playing a non-Jedi, or a non-Batman in Gotham City?

Judge Dredd RPG expects the players to be Judges, so no problem there.

hawkeyefan

Legend
What happens when all the players want to be Batman?

You let one be Nightwing, one be Batwoman, one be Batgirl, one be Robin, one be Batwing, one be Huntress, one be Red Hood, one be Knight, one be Squire.....how many players you got? Pretty sure there’s a Batman for each of them....

MGibster

Legend
Seems to defeat the purpose in using settings like Batman or Star Wars. Who gets stuck playing a non-Jedi, or a non-Batman in Gotham City?

Judge Dredd RPG expects the players to be Judges, so no problem there.

I'm pretty sure the Batman RPG expects the players to be costumed superheroes in the same vein as Nightwing, Huntress, Robin, or Spoiler. No problem there either. I have never run a Star Wars game where anyone wanted to be Luke Skywalker or one where everyone wanted to be a Jedi. Theoretically it could happen I guess but I haven't seen it yet.

I'm pretty sure the Batman RPG expects the players to be costumed superheroes in the same vein as Nightwing, Huntress, Robin, or Spoiler. No problem there either. I have never run a Star Wars game where anyone wanted to be Luke Skywalker or one where everyone wanted to be a Jedi. Theoretically it could happen I guess but I haven't seen it yet.

I don't run supers games, but every time I've polled for a Star Wars game I'm facing five players who want to be Jedi.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases