• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Better Monster Manuel

GM Dave

First Post
I was thinking of how the MM for 5e could be designed better.

The last several generations of Monster Manuals or Bestiaries have been mostly Encyclopedias of weird creatures with stat blocks. There is some fluff text (which decreased in 4e) and hopefully a bit of tactical advice and usage.

The trouble that I have with the past generation of MM's is they are encyclopedias and not real aids to the GM.

I like having the books to generate ideas and the 4e system made it easier to grab pieces and assemble them with a few 'pre-set' suggested selections.

The trouble is that it focuses on only one element of adventure which is monsters which you are supposed to hit over the head and grab stuff from.

I think that it would be better if title was changed to something like the 'Tome of Challenges' or 'Guide Book to Adventure'.

This would encourage the authors to think of other things that should be included beyond monsters.

I would much rather see information included in the new version;

1> Trap information for traps of different shapes and levels
2> Hazard information for hazards of different shapes and levels
3> Organization information for how the different monsters might fit together in a larger group. I'd also like to find suggestions on Villianous Religious groups or Magical Cabals and how they work and operate
4> Lair information for how the monsters might manipulate their environment and use it as 'part of the encounter' instead repeatedly finding the monster sitting in a 'bare' room.
5> Several linked series of story seeds and general story seeds.
6> Sketched out details of plug and play encounters for the GM that has to assemble pieces in a hurry for players that went somewhere they did not plan or need to prepare an adventure in a hurry.
7> Guide lines for monster construction or adapting the provided monsters to new situations and encounters.

I know that some people will point and say that things like Traps and Monster construction are found in the Dungeon Masters Guide but I ask why are the rules there? Should not those rules be grouped with the examples of their usage? Should not the book of examples contain examples of how to adapt and use those creatures and how to rapidly assemble the pieces together.

More detailed construction from scratch rules and guidelines could in the DMG but the base MM should have the materials for making the job of being a GM quick and fun with a variety of threats instead of just beasts.

Recidivism

First Post
The Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale was a really cool book that fleshed out the game setting and really gave me a ton of ideas for adventures and how I could utilize the monsters presented in my campaign. I'd definitely be up for seeing more of that style.

As a small note: I really hope the next edition's statblock has a section for a monster description. It's rather troubling to find that a monster printed in the Monster Manual has literally no descriptive text on what it looks like, and there's no corresponding picture to get an idea either. I end up having to refer to my 2nd or 3rd edition books to figure it out.

TwinBahamut

First Post
I'd like to see a Monster Manual that dedicates a lot more space to things like human (or other humanoid) opponents for broad level ranges and with a good amount of variety. Things like bandits, soldiers of differing types, knights, wizards, evil cultists, pirates, elite commanders, zealots, combat medics, crazy druids, evil overlords, and so on can all be really interesting opponents, and are very useful for a wide variety of games. Games built around any form of politics more complex than "playable races are always good, monsters are always evil" will depend heavily on those kinds of opponents, so giving them more space in the Monster Manual (or even a "Monster" Manual entirely dedicated to them) would be really useful. More useful than aberration #36, at the very least.

I was thinking of how the MM for 5e could be designed better.

The last several generations of Monster Manuals or Bestiaries have been mostly Encyclopedias of weird creatures with stat blocks. There is some fluff text (which decreased in 4e) and hopefully a bit of tactical advice and usage.

The trouble that I have with the past generation of MM's is they are encyclopedias and not real aids to the GM.

<ideas>

I think a lot of your complaints/ideas (and those of others) is really a disagreement about what truly belongs in a Monster Manual. At the very base level, most people expect a Monster Manual to be a manual of monsters. Traps/hazards are not monsters. Story seeds are not monsters. Humanoids are kinda monsters, but they're also kinda boring as monsters.

Don't get me wrong, the things you're asking for are all good ideas that are critical to making a good game, I just don't think they need to me in the same book as all my beasties. Traps, hazards, and general dungeon design belong in the DMG of the Book or Challenges. Dungeon/lair design or enemy organization design belong in a published adventure, or a standalone guide. Some notes about individual monsters is fine, but I don't want the MM to be so full of encounter guides that it cuts down significantly in the number of monsters in the book.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
It could have been worse.
I agree

20959_1212579788083_1036416878_30491450_360290_n.jpg

delericho

Legend
I would very much like to see a decent-length section on traps and environmental hazards... but whether it fits in the MM or the DMG is an open question.

For 5e, I would be inclined to put together a fairly short set of 'core' monsters - the staples of intelligent humanoids, animals (normal, giant, dire, swarms, and the like), and other classics (gargoyles, dragons).

And then a big emphasis on creating unique monsters for "guest starring" in your adventures - provide a big toolkit of powers, provide the mathematical framework for putting them together. And then finish with a decent number of examples.

I don't think the game needs 500+ types of monsters in the first MM. I'm not sure it even needs that many monsters at all. But it probably needs a lot of unique (or easily customised) forms of construct, undead, individual dragons, and the like.

Because that seems to be the way it works in the fiction - in Lord of the Rings you have the staple Orcs and Trolls, and then you have Shelob, the Nazgul, the Balrog, and other unique (or close to unique) creatures. Likewise, Conan seemed to fight a lot of men (civilised and savage), animals and the like, and then in most stories he fought one unique monster - a demon or 'god' or whatever. Likewise Elric, and Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, and the like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads