D&D 5E A brief rant about Rime of the Frost Maiden, farming, logistics, and ecology

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Just read the Revel’s End section. Prison run by the Lord’s Alliance. Due to magic, all interior spaces stay at 68 degrees Fahrenheit and are lit by continual light spells. Also, apparently you can get a ship here to take you out of Icewind Dale.

Surely the place is swarming with desperate refugees from the Ten Towns, right?

Nope. Business as usual and plenty of room. Upon request, the warden will put up the adventurers for up to two days rent free, meals included.

This is not me trying to pick things apart. There is stuff in this adventure that doesn’t, on a basic level, make sense.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
Just read the Revel’s End section. Prison run by the Lord’s Alliance. Due to magic, all interior spaces stay at 68 degrees Fahrenheit and are lit by continual light spells. Also, apparently you can get a ship here to take you out of Icewind Dale.

Nope. Business as usual and plenty of room. Upon request, the warden will put up the adventurers for up to two days rent free, meals included.
Because yes... a trek through the wilderness to a notorious magical prison full of dangerous criminals is the first place townsfolk would think of for safety!

TheSword

Legend
No, I'm not saying what about is how you can claim this isn't objective, absolute fact, LOL! There's no WAY that ANY tree without magical aid is surviving 2 years at polar tempatures with no sunlight, that's literally impossible. And if the adventure had bothered to explain this, and then explain what kind of magic (say with the druids) is keeping the forests alive, the adventure would have been significantly better and the premise far easier to bite into.

Frostmaiden is good for what it is, but these kinds of logical considerations can make a good project truly great. I don't know what reality you live in though that a tree can survive 2 years with no sunlight at -49 though.
Yes, what most published adventures need is more published tree husbandry!

Rules for growth rates, a random chart of disasters and a comprehensive list of names and terms for various tree maladies.

Maybe we’ll get lucky and it will be in the next book.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

Rules for growth rates, a random chart of disasters and a comprehensive list of names and terms for various tree maladies.

Is there any criticism of the module you think is legitimate?

Chaosmancer

Legend

This is not me trying to pick things apart. There is stuff in this adventure that doesn’t, on a basic level, make sense.

Wow, I missed that.

Yeah, those criminals would be out on their asses and the magically warm interior would be co-opted by someone. Heck, don't even need to worry about letting them roam free. Send them out with no winter gear or supplies, banishment style.

TheSword

Legend
Is there any criticism of the module you think is legitimate?
Sure, Ten towns makes it difficult to become particularly invested in any of them. I also am disappointed the city didn’t involve some monstrous spawn rather than the old ‘netherese ruins’ schtick.

I definitely don’t think criticism of the long winter because the trees would be dead is legitimate.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Sure, Ten towns makes it difficult to become particularly invested in any of them. I also am disappointed the city didn’t involve some monstrous spawn rather than the old ‘netherese ruins’ schtick.

I definitely don’t think criticism of the long winter because the trees would be dead is legitimate.
Thank you for the response!

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

First you ask for scientific evidence that trees would die in cold and dark for two years. When you're pointed to evidence that trees die off at much higher temps if denied a growing season, you make a strange argument that implies tree lines don't shift, sometimes suddenly, with local climate changes. Now you're complaining that the discussion is about how trees live in cold temps. The goal posts are shifting so fast here that I'm dizzy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases