• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Caravan to Ein Arris

Kafkonia

First Post
"She's beautiful, beautiful. Yes." He slumps back in his chair, muttering to himself. "Beautiful."

When the drink arrives, he regains some energy, practically grabbing it from the server's hand. "You don't understand," he says. "You don't know her!" He makes as if to leap from his seat, but after a second's hesitation he settles back down.

"Captain of her guard. That's what I was. No more. No more." He drains half the liquid from his mug. "Don't have call for us now. Not in Mashanda. Got their own guards. After this caravan -- what? What? You seem like a nice group. I always liked you short folks." He reaches for Pasha's hand. "Thank you for the drink."

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Malinda observes the man's reactions passively, her expression concerned. She seems to measure him as he turns on Pasha, noting carefully what he says and does not say, how he says it, as well as his body language. Her gaze briefly darts over his clothing and visible possessions as well, in her attempt to get a sense of the man.

OOC:[sblock]Sense Motive +5[/sblock]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Mentally, Damien grins. This was exactly the sort he needed. He studied the man carefully, trying to remember his voice, dress, and features for potential future work.

Meanwhile, while the goblin tried to diffuse the situation, Damien assisted. He wanted to get at much information at of this fellow as he could, while seeming less interested than he was. "Dismissed her guards! Folly, I say! Who would do such a thing! Who would remove her fine and valiant defenders at this time when she needs them the most! What inexperienced chaps have taken your rightful position my friend?"

[Start a Diplomacy check.]

Kafkonia

First Post
The half-elf turns his eyes to Damien, going out of focus for a second before narrowing. "Exactly!" he exclaims. "Mashanda! Ptah." He spits on the tavern floor. "They don't know her like I do. Like we do. They wouldn't even know her to look at her. How can they be guardsmen without knowing what they guard? Least they've kept me on for the caravan. Maybe I'll teach those ladies in the Mashar guard which end of the sword goes in the other fellow!" He bursts out laughing. "I like you. What's your name? And what about your scaly friend? Has he no tongue?"

(OOC -- Diplomacy check 20+6)

[SBLOCK=Malinda]

It's hard to tell what part of the half-elf's rambling is his honest feeling and what is the drink talking. He certainly seems to have more than a passing interest in Kira, but whether this was a romantic interest (and if so, whether or not it was reciprocated) is hard to tell.

(OOC -- Sense Motive check 5+5)

[/SBLOCK]

fenixdown

First Post
Kibek looks up from his drink. "Hm? Ah, yes, of course. I was just remembering a woman I once knew. But it's silly to wish things in the past to change, isn't it?" He laughs nervously and raises his drink. "So here's to the present. Who knows, maybe this journey will give you an opportunity to catch your lady's eye. And if she doesn't appreciate a man of your caliber, more's the pity for her," he grins, regaining his composure a bit. He takes a swig of his drink and frees a hand to offer to the half-elf. "Kibek Danar. And what might your name be, brother?"

Last edited:

PhoenixAsh

First Post
Malinda lifts her head and takes a steadying breath as the man’s tone changes from threatening to friendly, and his attention is directed to the others at the table. She lifts her glass at Kibek’s toast and sips her drink daintily after he finishes.

“It is silly, Kibek. But it is easy to lose one’s heart to the past. To memories of what should... or should not have been,” she says softly.

stonegod

Kafkonia said:
"They don't know her like I do. Like we do. They wouldn't even know her to look at her. How can they be guardsmen without knowing what they guard? Least they've kept me on for the caravan. Maybe I'll teach those ladies in the Mashar guard which end of the sword goes in the other fellow!" He bursts out laughing. "I like you. What's your name? And what about your scaly friend? Has he no tongue?"
Damien smiles. "I am Damien, my friend. And you have the heart of it, show them their place. But be not to hasty about it; a show of skill, in front of the right eyes, could do wonders."

Plans within plans already surfaced in Damien's head. This man could prove useful.

Kafkonia

First Post
fenixdown said:
He takes a swig of his drink and frees a hand to offer to the half-elf. "Kibek Danar. And what might your name be, brother?"

"You can call me Kelerend Athame," the half-elf says. "And you are right, Damien, my friend -- I can show them! Show them what they need..."

stonegod

Kafkonia said:
"You can call me Kelerend Athame," the half-elf says. "And you are right, Damien, my friend -- I can show them! Show them what they need..."
Damien hid his chagrin beneath his continued grin. It would do no good to get closer to the heart of the caravan if this fool got himself killed. "Be not so hasty, Kelerend. Look at my friend here. She has obvious pleased Halmaro with her grand display. If you were to, however, protect Kira at a moment when her guards could not---would that not be a skill? But do something... brash... and it may backfire."

Damein's mind races, plans with possible plans. He'd have to see how this one faired.

Kafkonia

First Post
The revelry goes on into the early hours of the morning, but when the sun rises everyone somehow manages to drag themselves from their beds and to the caravan, where they are divided up amongst the various wagons. Malinda, Kibek, Pasha, and Damien find themselves assigned to the same wagon; as people mill about, a hungover Kelerend waves to them from across the square, and Damien notices the talkative older gentlemen from the translator's line doing his cunning best to avoid being asked to do any actual work.

Soon enough the wagons and beasts of burden are loaded, and the caravan sets off to the cheers of the Khedran populace, our heroes travelling with the penultimate wagon in the chain. They travel for several hours before stopping to rest the animals as the sun reaches its peak, and a mounted human approaches the end of the train.

"You four," he says. "Come with me. Tsorvano wants to see you."

Remove ads