D&D 5E A Compilation of all the Race Changes in Monsters of the Multiverse

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books...

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

Is there actually a scaling issue with ASI's?
Yes. In that in the discrepancy between ability scores grows over time. The difference between an 8 and 16 blows out to 8 vs 20 (because no, one ever raises their abilty scores that are 8s or 10s with ASIs). Add to that, in most situations if something is an 8 you usually won't have proficiency in it either

So as difficulties scale, these abilities become comparatively worse.

The main effect however, is not so much in the game (where it's relatively minor) but in the design. It means the design can't contain much in the way of real trade-offs between ability scores, because only primaries (and maybe secondaries late game) can really scale.

(Which is one of the reasons people find racial ASIs constraining in the first place).

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
No there isn't.
Yes, there is. There literally is. If you can't see the difference, it makes me question whether you're debating in good faith.

There is a huge difference between saying "this halfling is a fantasy creature, so this specific individual one has extremely dense muscles in comparison to humans, so they can have the same Strength score as an Orc at the same level" and saying "any race can have wings, a breath weapon, be amphibious, cast spells innately" or anything as nonsensical.

There is a huge difference between "we both have a 5% higher average value on Strength checks, saving throws, and attack rolls" and "I can breath fire out of my freaking mouth and fly like a bird!"

The difference between the two is so huge that anyone that doesn't agree with this is acting in bad faith. This is not subjective, it's 100% true. "I, a Halfling, can beat you in an arm-wrestling competition" and "I am a Purple-Skinned Human that can breathe lightning, cast Hellish Rebuke, and have fairy wings" are objectively separated by an enormous difference.

Tasha's Cauldron of Everything's variant "Customize your Origin" feature allows for you to have a halfling/gnome/goblin/kobold with the same Strength score as an Orc/Goliath/Minotaur at level 1, but it doesn't allow for Halflings to fly, Goliaths to shoot lightning bolts, Dwarves to breathe underwater, Kobolds to carry as much as if they were Large, or normal humans to have Innate Spellcasting.

This is one of the most blatant and ridiculous strawmen that I've ever seen. Hands down. If you cannot possibly see the difference between "5% more likely to succeed on something Strength-related" and "unique abilities that every race has a different allotment of", you're acting in bad faith.

The issue is that the 5% difference does a lot of work standing in for a fictional difference that is really much bigger than 5% and a Halfling that is fictionally as strong as a Goliath really ought to have super strength - which is fine, but is the sort of thing that is normally covered by traits and would seem to belong in the same category with being able to breath fire or breathe underwater.

False. Most people make choices based on story, not optimization.

That looks like a pretty wild guess to me.
Well I'm sure it's literally false. Someone probably has done it somewhere, but I've never seen it. So it's basically hyperbole.

I also think that raising your Charisma of 8 to 10 for story reasons using an ASI would be pretty dumb, given that it's impact would be negligible.

Even if you've decided your previously socially inept Half-Orc has now become more adept at talking surely you'd go and spend a feat on Skilled Expert instead. (Unless you don't understand the game at all, at which point surely there's someone who cah help you?)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
@EzekielRaiden I really have no energy to a full quoted reply. Sorry. It might be easier if you tried to make your posts somewhat more concise, I feel your verbosity might actually obfuscate the point you're trying to make.

I still don't understand why you keep bringing up variability and averages. No one is denying that individuals vary and are not averages. We have way to represent that even with ASIs, point buys/roll.

Secondly, I don't understand why you think it matters what things are actually chosen by the character in fiction and what are only chosen by the player. That doesn't seem relevant.

Thirdly, of course in archetypal examples we must compare them to what a character of not that archetype attempting similar task could achieve. That really is what determines whether the archetype has niche protection on its area of expertise ort not.
Alright. Q: What are racial ability bonuses? A: The trends of populations of fictional beings, on some kind of measure.

Q: In a simulation, what data would give us these numbers?
A: The mean ("average") on some set of metrics, e.g. height, mass, lift strength, reaction time, ??? for Charisma, etc.

Q: Is it a correct model of actual population variability to expect that this average represents most members?
A: No, not at all. In fact, even when examining whole populations (not just samples), subjects that meet all requirements to be "average" are rare, even with an insanely broad meaning of "average" like "the middle 50% of all aviators." They may not even exist at all, if too many metrics are used.

Q: Do fixed racial ability scores actually offer simulative or verisimilitudinous benefits?
A: It appears they do not. A simulation which uses them would fail to actually represent the real, measurable variability found in all actual populations of living beings. At least as I understand the term, "verisimilitude" refers to resembling what is true or real, and the true and real thing is that population variability pretty much absolutely trumps the central tendencies ("averages"). It is, in fact, an un-simulative abstraction to treat all members of a population as being like the average of their measured traits.

Q: Can the mechanic be used differently in a way that would be simulative or verisimilitudinous?
A: Yes, by having a range of divergence away from "average." This is exactly what 5e will now offer. Playing to type is still very likely to be commonplace. But any given member of any given race may vary, sometimes just a bit (e.g. Dragonborn with +2 Cha/+1 Str), sometimes more (e.g. an Elf with +2 Int/+1 Con), and sometimes substantially (Custom Lineage). This more correctly (not perfectly, but better) models the statistics of actual populations, especially when accounting for the fact that adventurers are weird by the standards of most (if not all) fictional races.

Q: Does this new method actually change what people will play, in terms of archetypes?
A: While I can't be truly certain, I doubt it. Tropes can be hard to defy, of their nature they are tendencies of human thought. Dragonborn will still more likely be beefy bois and gorls. Elves will still more likely be willowy. But now there is official support for playing against type if one desires it, a willowy dragonborn (that otherwise still resembles other dragonborn) or a beefy elf (that otherwise still resembles other elves).

Which leaves one of two questions for you:

1. If you do still believe these things support simulation and/or verisimilitude, what do you mean by those terms? It would seem you must be using different meanings thereof, and talking won't go anywhere until we work that out.
Or...
2. If you do not believe they give such benefits but still wish to have them, why? That is, the reasons you gave seem not to apply, but you still pursue them, so there must be another reason.

Assuming #2 is what led me to ask if what you truly want is the official rubber stamp for the flavor of each race, and hence my "that's weird, since you've never seemed to need official approval before now." Assuming #1 is why I've asked what you mean by these terms when you responded with confusion.

I hope that is sufficiently succinct.

Then get rid of classes.
That seems like rather melodramatic overkill.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Well I'm sure it's literally false. Someone probably has done it somewhere, but I've never seen it.

I also think that raising your Charisma of 8 to 10 for story reasons using an ASI would be pretty dumb, given that it's impact would be negligible.

Even if you've decided your previously socially inept Half-Orc has now become more adept at talking surely you'd go and spend a feat on Skilled Expert instead. (Unless you don't understand the game at all, at which point surely there's someone who cah help you?)
Yeah, it is probably false. On the other hand, you’re not helping by calling some other hypothetical player dumb for not optimizing to your satisfaction. That opinion you should keep to yourself.

Yeah, it is probably false. On the other hand, you’re not helping by calling some other hypothetical player dumb for not optimizing to your satisfaction. That opinion you should keep to yourself.
I'm not calling any player dumb. I said the decision is dumb which is a real and important distinction.

Remove ads

Remove ads