D&D 5E A Compilation of all the Race Changes in Monsters of the Multiverse

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books...

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

I'm confused as to what 'making stats matter' refers to as they are central to almost every mechanical facet of the game (in a way they are not in basic and 1e, for example). Do you mean, make them, in particular Strength, matter in regards to creature size? What mechanical changes would you suggest?
Sure, regarding size as well, but that's not only what I mean. I guess I want them to be character defining, but also not dictated by the classes to the degree than they have now. If all wizards have same int score and all barbarians the same strength score, (and that's basically how it is now) it just blends into mandatory basic math mush, instead of actually saying something about the character.

Now how to do it? I don't know, and if I would, I might be a highly successful game designer! But probably something relating to stats being more about how you're capable, and different combinations being valid and actually playing differently.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Huh….well I’m probably just going to be posting to the void considering the conversation currently but….I was curious so I’ll still ask.

How many people are going to use these new changes? Are you going to use all of them or just some of them mixed with some of the old options? Any you plan on tweaking any somewhat?

I’m currently working on a master list of racial options for my campaign world and I’ve been seeing what I want to use from these. Some races like the Bugbear, Centaur, Changeling, and the Elves I’m using the new options. However for some I have been tweaking features, like Aasimar being able to choose a cleric cantrips instead of only getting light, or adding a couple of spells to the Aarakocra, giving a choice of a tool proficiency to the Duergar, and returning the magic resistance of the Satyr and Yuan-ti to effecting both spells and other magical effects.

If I'm running "5e" I'll probably mostly use them. If a player really wants the other, I'll probably be ok with that for them.

If I want to really customize, there are so many other things on my list that annoy me more about the game when I think about it that these changes are just noise.

Huh….well I’m probably just going to be posting to the void considering the conversation currently but….I was curious so I’ll still ask.

How many people are going to use these new changes? Are you going to use all of them or just some of them mixed with some of the old options? Any you plan on tweaking any somewhat?

I’m currently working on a master list of racial options for my campaign world and I’ve been seeing what I want to use from these. Some races like the Bugbear, Centaur, Changeling, and the Elves I’m using the new options. However for some I have been tweaking features, like Aasimar being able to choose a cleric cantrips instead of only getting light, or adding a couple of spells to the Aarakocra, giving a choice of a tool proficiency to the Duergar, and returning the magic resistance of the Satyr and Yuan-ti to effecting both spells and other magical effects.
Probably a combination.

If I want a race to be fixed in an ASI sense it will probably be +2,+1 with the +2 being fixed. (And this being relatively rare).
Otherwise I will use 3 +1s. (Which I would expect to be the case in the great majority of cases).
Humans I will probably do 3 +1s and an extra Saving throw (Which is Variant human right now with Versatile as their feat pick).

I might given everyone a free feat at level 1.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Meh, I'll probably use the changes (assuming I get the book). There's nothing that passes beyond a mild annoyance in the changes. But I want to read all the changes in full before I make a decision.

lore_revolution

First Post
What about Dhampir's natural weapon attack? It is noted attacks going off strength are getting reworked, but theirs goes off constitution. Is it also being changed?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well I'm sure it's literally false. Someone probably has done it somewhere, but I've never seen it. So it's basically hyperbole.

I also think that raising your Charisma of 8 to 10 for story reasons using an ASI would be pretty dumb, given that it's impact would be negligible.

Even if you've decided your previously socially inept Half-Orc has now become more adept at talking surely you'd go and spend a feat on Skilled Expert instead. (Unless you don't understand the game at all, at which point surely there's someone who cah help you?)
I mean, even optimizing, it makes sense to start shoring up weaknesses, particularly if Feats aren't on the table.

Irlo

Hero
This is true, but if you have Strength then it really ought to have some relationship to damage at least. (Even if only by allowing you to use oversized weapons or something).

It would be possible to have Accuracy independent of Strength (although putting it in Dex is also an Issue - although that could be resolved in some way).

With D&D being the kind of game that it is, being exceptionally big and strong in the fiction really needs to have some kind of concrete affect on the way that you fight. It doesn't have to make the character the best, there can be multiple ways of approaching the issue that are equally effective, but it at least needs to be somewhat distinct. This may be hard to do without extensive real and genuine playtesting, but the game needs to at least be honest about the kind of characters it can do with the priorities it has and the resources it's willing to invest in them.

Also Powerful Build is really just one function. It's carrying capacity - Strength over time, and something an awful lot of games don't even worry about. It doesn't even have an effect on making a Strength roll to move a boulder or overturn a wagon. (It's not a character defining trait, it's a "here's an extra thing.")
Strength as it affects combat is very abstract. No surprise, since D&D combat is abstract. How a big creature fights is largely narrative, not mechanical. There are probably a few existing mechanics to represent size in combat (the halfling's nimbleness trait, as an example) but not many, and that works for me. In this abstract combat-related capacity, it's easy for me to justify strong halflings -- if they need to be justified.

But like most ability scores, Strength is a mess of abstraction and concreteness, and because of that there is some dissonance in the way we interpret it.

It's easy to see a halfling as equal to or surpassing a goliath in certain Strength (Athletics) checks -- climbing, swimming, breaking free of bonds. (My son when he was four could climb a 25' rope without sweating. Now, he's four times older and nearly four times heavier and he wouldn't be able to pull that off anymore!) Put that halfling into contested Strength checks with a goliath, in a grapple or in arm-wrestling, and credulity gets strained. The advantage/disadvantage mechanic based on size discrepancies might be enough to bridge the gap of expectations there.

I don't even want to talk about jumping. Ugh.

Then there's the flat-out objective measures of Strength, carrying capacity and lifting limits. But even encumbrance is more abstracted than we might notice. Halfling-sized armor and gear weigh the same as the goliath's, so in some sense the halfling isn't really carrying the same weight, no matter what the tally on the character sheet says. For this purpose, I think powerful build covers the size differential well enough. I can't remember the last time it was important in my games to know if a particular halfling could pick up a particular boulder. I can shrug off the apparent incongruities of the push, drag, and lift limits for small characters vs. medium and larger.

Remove ads

Remove ads