D&D 5E A Compilation of all the Race Changes in Monsters of the Multiverse

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books...

Over on Reddit, user KingJackel went through the video leak which came out a few days ago and manually compiled a list of all the changes to races in the book. The changes are quite extensive, with only the fairy and harengon remaining unchanged. The book contains 33 races in total, compiled and updated from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Here's hoping that dies soon too, because people keep using it to mean 'like Earth but with wizards' instead of actually allowing for a fantastic world.

Player: "I put water on the fire in a metal pot for 10 minutes and see what happens."

DM: "Don't you know what will happen?"

Player: "How can I assume it will boil, the world is fantastic and anything might be."

-----

"In any event, do not allow either the demands of 'realism' or impossible make believe to spoil your milieu." - G.G. 1e DMG pg 88

-----

DM: "It will boil!"

Player: "If I leave it for a few hours will it all evaporate? Or can I start it boiling now and have it still here when I want coffee later?"

DM: "You're struck by lightning and killed. It won't be a problem!"

Player: "Ah, good. So we've established lightning is lethal. My next character will set up lightning rods around camp before investigating coffee efficiency."

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Also he was full of it. What was the whole idea with weapons vs armour tables then?
Perhaps they didn't "interfere with the flow of the game" or require a "monomaniacal statistician", in which case there was no reason not to go for the "highest degree of of realism."

Gygax was against realism if it could be used to argue in favour of flaws in his game.
I'm guessing that's a very common trait. :)

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
/snip

Again. What we need to consider here is not the theoretical scale in isolation but how the pieces work together to create a result.
Fair enough.

Now, in a 5e context, since there are no racial minimums, or maximums for that matter, no limits on race/class, no limits based on stats on levels, what pieces are working together here to create a result?

Hussar

Legend
It feels like the other half want to ignore the "either" in it. ;-)

So, how does boiling water work in your current campaign world, and how would your players know?
Well, considering that in 40 years, I don't recall a single instance of the players trying to boil water, I'm somewhat failing to understand your point. Do your players regularly test "reality"? Given the abstract nature of virtually everything in the game, it would be a really weird thing to do.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Fair enough.

Now, in a 5e context, since there are no racial minimums, or maximums for that matter, no limits on race/class, no limits based on stats on levels, what pieces are working together here to create a result?

I think for 5e it's what's missing. It's missing those illustrations of the halfling beating the goliath arm wrestling, and the half-orc beating the elf at chess. If one is going to change decades of lore from previous versions and source material, then showing it would go really far to setting the new status quo.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Finding that the basic D&D line - that "was designed to be easily read and used by individuals who have never before played a role playing game" and summarized in a handful of 64 page books - doesn't have lots of things in it that "people with a background of gaming experience" might want, doesn't feel like a gotcha to me.

(Quotes from the foreward to Moldvay).
And yet it was played just fine even after those people gained gaming experience.

Remove ads

Remove ads