D&D 5E A Couple Houserules for Warlock and Fighter

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Just in case anyone finds these useful!

Fighter:

Heroic Actions:
(replaces Action Surge)
You gain 2 Heroic Actions. (Get more as you level, based on proficient bonus and number of Extra Attacks). You can use a Heroic Action to do one of the following.
  • On your turn, you can use a number of Heroic Actions equal to the number of attacks you can make with a single Attack Action, to make additional Attacks. You make one attack per Heroic Action spent.
  • After another creature’s turn, you can make a single attack
  • Take a Reaction, even if you have already done so this round.
  • Spend 2 Heroic Actions to perform any action you could normally do as an Action, once per round. You can do this either on your turn or after another creature’s turn.

Starting at 17th level, you can regain all Heroic Actions as part of a short rest. Once you have done so, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.

This goes a long way toward making the fighter stand out, and allowing a lot more tactical play in a very simple way. Also, allows the fighter to be a defender.

Warlock

Pact of The Eldritch Blade
(replaces Pact of The Blade)
You gain a Rod called an Eldritch Blade. As an action you can cause the Rod to take the shape of any weapon. You are proficient in the weapon, and it gains all the weapon’s properties except for damage, which is the damage of Eldritch Blast. When you cast the Eldritch Blast cantrip, you can make one or more weapon attack using your spell attack modifier, rather than a ranged spell attack.

Change: Eldritch Spear invocation.
Add: If you make a melee attack with the Eldritch Blast cantrip, your reach increases by 5ft.

That is it. Suddenly Pact of The Blade doesn’t need an invocation for attack scaling, Hexblade is just a fun alternative, and all the Eldritch Blast cantrips work for Blade Warlocks.

Oh, and weapon feats work for Bladelock, because it’s a weapon and you’re making weapon attacks.

Maybe add an invocation that gives a fighting style.

doctorbadwolf

I’d also probably tweak some of the fighting styles, and a couple of the subclasses.

Lastly, Indomitable would become Indomitable Resistence. You turn a failed save into a success, prof bonus per long rest.

Quickleaf

Legend
Just in case anyone finds these useful!

Fighter:

Heroic Actions:
(replaces Action Surge)
You gain 2 Heroic Actions. (Get more as you level, based on proficient bonus and number of Extra Attacks). You can use a Heroic Action to do one of the following.
  • On your turn, you can use a number of Heroic Actions equal to the number of attacks you can make with a single Attack Action, to make additional Attacks. You make one attack per Heroic Action spent.
  • After another creature’s turn, you can make a single attack
  • Take a Reaction, even if you have already done so this round.
  • Spend 2 Heroic Actions to perform any action you could normally do as an Action, once per round. You can do this either on your turn or after another creature’s turn.

Starting at 17th level, you can regain all Heroic Actions as part of a short rest. Once you have done so, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.

This goes a long way toward making the fighter stand out, and allowing a lot more tactical play in a very simple way. Also, allows the fighter to be a defender.
Interesting! The part is bold is either oddly worded or just troublesome for me to understand.

If the intent that if I'm a 5th level fighter (Extra Attack 2), that I have to spend 2 Heroic Actions to make an additional 2 attacks? And that if I'm a 20th level fighter (Extra Attack 4), that I have to spend 4 Heroic Actions (which I don't have) to make an additional 2 attacks? Or just that my cap on extra attacks = however many Heroic Actions I spend.

If the latter is the intent, I'd suggest revising the wording to reflect that.

doctorbadwolf

I love pact of the Eldritch Blade! It’s a bit early in the morning for me to quite process Heroic Actions, but it seems interesting.
Thanks! I think it just makes the whole “be a swordy warlock!” Thing cleaner and more elegant.

Heroic Action definitely won’t be for people who want a super simple character, but it should be really fun!

doctorbadwolf

Confirming what you mean here.

Are you saying at 5th I would have 4 heroic actions (+1 from prof bump, +1 for gaining extra attack)
Yep.

The idea is to give you the number of heroic actions equal to the number of attacks you get from Action Surge, and also convert it from “per short rest” to “proficiency bonus per long rest”.

Interesting! The part is bold is either oddly worded or just troublesome for me to understand.

If the intent that if I'm a 5th level fighter (Extra Attack 2), that I have to spend 2 Heroic Actions to make an additional 2 attacks?
You spend one heroic action per attack you want to make.
And that if I'm a 20th level fighter (Extra Attack 4), that I have to spend 4 Heroic Actions (which I don't have)
You have more than 4 at 20th level. You have like 10+ at level 20. Per day, you have a number equal to your proficiency bonus + the number of attacks you can make with an attack action.
to make an additional 2 attacks?
No. 1 attack = 1 heroic action.

Remove ads