• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A couple of questions regarding two psionic powers

IcyCool

First Post
kigmatzomat said:
Short answer: the rules don't say you can't. They also don't say you can.

This is gray area. I'd post to the Living Enworld metaboard and ask the question there. With shared games, like Living (anything), people generally tend towards absolute rules adherence as it is safest. In my game, yeah, I'd let you do it. In a Living game with dozens (hundreds?) of players I might think twice, fearing the way a twink might start abusing the leeway.

Fair enough, although they told me to post this here first. :D

The original thought was for the Psychic Warrior to use Armor spikes as his primary weapon, and take 2 claw attacks as secondary natural attacks, but that's been shot down by the power's description. I'd still be interested in doing it with Bite of the Wolf as the secondary natural attack, complete with Improved Natural Attack (Bite).

Guess I'll head back to the Living EnWorld forums and ask for a ruling from the judges, again. ;)

xen_xheng

First Post
IcyCool said:
It looks to me like Claws of the Beast qualifies you for the improved natural attack (Claws) feat, but that's why I was asking here.

As per the rules, it does not qualify, because you havn't a natural attack; you just have a power that emulates a natural attack.

IcyCool said:
Also, you can't use Bite of the Wolf with Claws of the Beast, as the text in the Claws of the Beast power forbids using the claws with any other weapon.

The text intent is obviously to impede using weapons or more attacks thatn the claw/claw routine; based on monsters with claw/claw/bite routine, all the group agreed that Bite of the Wolf could be used (although it' didn't help a lot). For balance issues, we enabled it when I had base attack 6.

IcyCool

First Post
xen_xheng said:
As per the rules, it does not qualify, because you havn't a natural attack; you just have a power that emulates a natural attack.

Except that for all intents and purposes, while the power is active, you have a natural attack, which qualifies for the feat.

See the confusion? :D

Rystil Arden

First Post
IcyCool said:
Except that for all intents and purposes, while the power is active, you have a natural attack, which qualifies for the feat.

See the confusion? :D
Yup. I'm still curious as to why nobody wants to answer me about my examples with Polymorph :D

xen_xheng

First Post
Polymorph any object creates almost anything from anything, transmuting it as necesary.
You can transmute a coin into a fire giant, and voilá! a fire giant appears, probably confused as why is he there, and who the hell is that stupid looking wizard.

You can transmute another being (yourself included) into a fire giant, but you would lose all your identity, being replaced by that of a dumb fire giant, asking what in the world is he doing there.

This is the intent in the spell, so I don't think you can find it any use in that way, excepto for creating creatures for a while to confuse opponents or something like that. Casting it on yourself is very unwise, since if the duration results in permanent, you would lose control of your character until someone casts dispel magic... and whoever you are in the meanwhile can maybe not agree, or even attack your party.

If you want to remain yourself, try Polymorph or Shapechange, although these are not permanent (well, maybe persistent Polymorph as a 10th level spell in epic levels...)

IcyCool

First Post
xen_xheng said:
Polymorph any object creates almost anything from anything, transmuting it as necesary.
You can transmute a coin into a fire giant, and voilá! a fire giant appears, probably confused as why is he there, and who the hell is that stupid looking wizard.

You can transmute another being (yourself included) into a fire giant, but you would lose all your identity, being replaced by that of a dumb fire giant, asking what in the world is he doing there.

This is the intent in the spell, so I don't think you can find it any use in that way, excepto for creating creatures for a while to confuse opponents or something like that. Casting it on yourself is very unwise, since if the duration results in permanent, you would lose control of your character until someone casts dispel magic... and whoever you are in the meanwhile can maybe not agree, or even attack your party.

Wow, could you point me to the copy of Polymorph Any Object that you are reading? I ask, because the copy in the SRD and my PHB don't say anything like that.

xen_xheng

First Post
I know, as I said, it's what I think is the intent of the spell. Call it a house rule, if you want, but it's the only sane thing I think can be done with this spell.

Rystil Arden

First Post
xen_xheng said:
I know, as I said, it's what I think is the intent of the spell. Call it a house rule, if you want, but it's the only sane thing I think can be done with this spell.
Your house rule aside, consider Baleful Polymorph, which has set rules on keeping your personality but is also permanent. Assuming I kept my personality as a cat, can I take INA: Claws?

RigaMortus2

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Your house rule aside, consider Baleful Polymorph, which has set rules on keeping your personality but is also permanent. Assuming I kept my personality as a cat, can I take INA: Claws?

Depends... Do you also keep your level/feats/skills/spells? If you are a 15th level Fighter and get Poly'd into a cat, are you a cat with 15 Fighter levels, or are you just a simple cat as per the MM?

IcyCool

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Depends... Do you also keep your level/feats/skills/spells? If you are a 15th level Fighter and get Poly'd into a cat, are you a cat with 15 Fighter levels, or are you just a simple cat as per the MM?

If you keep your personality, yes, you keep your levels. Otherwise you are a normal cat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads