A fairly unique character? Balanced?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Umbran said:
And, is it really fair to laden the party with someone who cannot die, but also cannot really take full part in something as reportedly dangerous as RtToEE?

This is really important. Say your DM says okay to the PC as is. Basically, that means that you get to play a character concept you really like, who cannot die.

Problem is, your immortal incompetent is going to drastically increase the odds that other members of your party die. Why? Because the other party members won't be able to count on him to help them stay alive, and they won't be able to replace him.

Assuming that the rest of the players come up with character concepts they like as well, is it really fair that theirs are going to get killed off while you keep yours? Moreover, that the deaths of theirs are caused by yours?

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
Interesting as a character to read your background, but I don't think that I would enjoy being in the same adventuring party as he. Basically good NPC, bad PC as I see it.

How about using the Hide Life spell, its permanent, and it reduces you to just partial actions after -10 at which if your opponents win the rest of the fight they can grapple you and torture you for all eternity *sighs*, its a neat character concept though, or maybe make it so that after you 'die' you go to 1 HP in 5 min time...(also consider fast healing 1 or 2), listen to others why not to play one but no ones personally stopping ya.

Humanophile

First Post
If I recall correctly, your game is one of the most free-form I've ever seen where the DM wasn't also playing his munchkin PC at the time. So things that I'd normally give a big thumbs down to, it sounds like your group can handle. That said...

First, it's kind of unrealistic that someone could live through any period of time that long, without learning and acquiring a lot of stuff. Think a while how high you'll want his skills to be able to go (and yes, combat does count as a skill here), and why he wouldn't want to at least spend his life in more comfortable settings.

Second, just as a reminder, immortals tend to attract attention from other long-lived beings. Just a "keep your head up, someone may want to figure out what makes this guy tick".

Third, and most importantly, even if you do manage to pull your weight as the unfaillable trapspringer and know-it-all, think how long this guy'll keep your attention. He seems very much like a one-trick pony, and that trick seems like it'll wear thin in short order if you're not careful. Ask yourself how long you'd want to stay in this guy's head, and how long you could stand him if someone else were playing him.

Black Omega

First Post
Humanophile said:
Third, and most importantly, even if you do manage to pull your weight as the unfaillable trapspringer and know-it-all, think how long this guy'll keep your attention. He seems very much like a one-trick pony, and that trick seems like it'll wear thin in short order if you're not careful. Ask yourself how long you'd want to stay in this guy's head, and how long you could stand him if someone else were playing him.

This sums up in many ways what I was thinking. A character with a 'cute' concept but very limited in every other way. His combat use apparently would be as cover for other people to stand behind. And the constant whining would get old fast for many groups. Jut feels more like an NPC than PC to me for some reason.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Black Omega said:
Jut feels more like an NPC than PC to me for some reason.

-Exactly. However, I have an idea. Play the Negotiator and convince your DM to allow you to have the Leadership feat even though you are not 6th level. Bring the god with you as the cohort. (Moreover, just make him believe the story you told us is true... even though it's not necessarily true.) This way you can play the bored whiner when appropriate and use your real PC (the negotiator) to get results. Which, frankly is vital to the party's survival in RttToEE.

Have fun, which ever way you decide to go. :)

Numion

First Post
This concept would work better in an adventure that wasn't so.. uh.. Temple of Elemental Evil. I mean seriously. My suggestion is that you didn't do this. As a PC I'd probably hate that kind of fellow adventurer.

Keep him around in your notes, and release him upon unsuspecting players when you are the DM. That way you can still have the enjoyement out of that character, but no-one has to suffer ;)

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
Apart seconding the comments above, I feel that this character, while interesting in a short term perspective, would get real old real fast.

He doesn't care. He doesn't die. There is no danger for him. ANYWHERE. He wants to die. He just complains. For a game or two, this may be interesting, but not for 6 months + (depending on your RL) of dungeon crawling.

He isn't even GOOD at anything. This is NOT a character for a Heroic RPG...

Sorry psionicist.

If you want an anti-hero, one who doesn't want to do anything, but gets caught up in the events around him, but still pretends to not care, why make him immortal? Half of the thrill of playing the game is the risk of failure (death/shame). Your conceptual character cannot fail. He can't die, and he doesn't care enough to be shamed.

Psionicist

Explorer
True, we aren't so picky about all rules in our campaign - As long as it's BALANCED and FUN. Balance is, in fact, incredible important in our campaign. It's my DM's favorite word :)

This guy is something extreme. He is a balanced immortal, level 1 character, something pretty hard to build.

I see it this way. He got to the temple because it's very dangerous and he might die in there.

I'll do it like this, for the greater fun. I will try playing him then write a small story hour from MY view (otherwise it will be a multitude of the words "hate", "irritating" and "annoyance") :)

So, don't care about the character, care about the balance. How do I balance this one to 3 other level 4 characters?

Numion

First Post
Balance may be the wrong word to use. If he can't do anything, he's as balanced as the TV in your playing room. It may make an occassional noise, but won't have much effect. Is a TV balanced, then?

Of course balance isn't important if it's fun for everyone, but I fail to see even that happening. But then again you know your group better than me. Go ahead and try.

Remove ads