A fairly unique character? Balanced?

Psionicist

Explorer
You bring up one very important thing here, namely the fact that he is very annoying and the other players will probably hate him.

For some background information, this whole project started when I tried to do something rather few have done before - create a balanced immortal being at low levels. Don't get me wrong here, we do NOT play in a munchkin campaign. It is just the fact that I've NEVER played something like this before and it would be very interesting to try.

It is known that I always plays unique (more or less) characters. I've tried to play a stereotyped regular "hero" and I really hate that, so I stick with my "weirder" ideas. For one, my current character is a gnome tinkerer and I've played him for 5 months now. Today I played my 8 feet tall githzerai monk with telepathic abilities who belives in non-violance and other nifty stuff stolen from Gandhi, in a one shot adventure because noone wanted to DM today so one of the players improvised a plot. Next week, when the real campaign starts (that too is a small campaign before the real elemental evil campaign) I will play a cowbow (read thread in rules forum). All my characters are not necessarly unique technically speaking, but their personalities are indeed very unique.

Anyhow, for the first time in a very long time I created a character with a technical goodie - the immortal thing - before I created the personality and I'm NOT so good at that. So here's a new idea.

-- He thinks everything is incredible fun and interesting. So he is no longer a whiner any more :)
He doesn't have to be good at anything, but he loves being around people because they are so smart and good at things!

All ideas are welcome!

Zhure

First Post
I played an immortal character in a Champions game. It's a lot easier to do in those mechanics than in D&D, assuming you've got enough points.

In an effort to make him a balanced character, I gave him less than normal combat abilities.

After playing for awhile, the bad guys finally figured out he wasn't a threat and ignored him. Therefore, he didn't even serve the purpose of a meat shield anymore. It took a lot of fun out of playing him.

My second incarnation of the character was a lot more realistic, a lot easier to damage (but just as hard to kill) and I had a lot more fun with.

Hope that helps,
Greg

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Okay, so he's not a whiner. You still have the problem that, in order to be balanced, he should be for the most part ineffective, no? For many intents and purposes, the party will not be N characters. It will be N-1 characters plus one mouth.

I don't see a problem with this in general concept. In many games this would be fine. But in RtToEE? Part of the fun of that adventure is supposed to be the challenge, the danger. You are avoiding that for yourself, and won't be doing particularly much to help the others get around it, either. Sure, you don't hold them back, they don't have to watch out for you. But you aren't exactly helping much, either.

Quite frankly, you risk being... irrelevant to the adventure.

Depends on exactly how much you can do, of course, and the sort of party you play with. In the end, you'll have to judge for yourself.

Remove ads