• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A few things I really like about WFRP

TheSword

Legend
BTW, @TheSword thanks for starting this thread. It is nice to be able to have enthusiastic conversation about a game other than D&D on ENWorld, especially since the D&D threads often get tiresome and negative. Some times you just want to geek out about a game you are into without a bunch of drama.
Cheers. It is a fun system and I really enjoy talking about it.

WFRP… the only game I’ve ever heard of where a character can literally 💩 themselves to death! 😂

76E64680-897A-43E3-A16A-5738CD3B6754.jpeg

TheSword

Legend
Just catching up with earlier posts. I haven’t read the ratter yet. Like you I have so much stuff. I’ve heard it’s good and I bet there are some really good adventures in there.

I ran Rough Night at the Three Feathers. My main advice on it is be pacy. I played out every 30 minute segment hoping they would bite at everything. They didn’t and it just slowed it all down. If they don’t react that’s fine, move swiftly on then let them deal with the consequences.

I had to do two groups because one of the players in our monthly game had already played the Enemy Within in 1st edition, and another couldn’t do a weekly game. So I took two players from that group and teamed them up with a mate from another group. His parents are German and he speaks it fluently so added a great authentic dimension.

Hilda Lustfaht- the Ratcatcher, Ex Scryer, Ex Riverwarden Sergeant

Luchs Swertzekrieg - the Witch hunter Inquisitor

Alexis von Falkenberg - The Knight of the White Wolf, Ex Duellist, Ex Noble.

They’re a great party.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I love the Old World, and there are so many things to like about 4e: great fluff and supplements from C7, amazing Foundry modules, etc etc. And has been noted, hilariously evil diseases - hello Toe Rot!

But even with automating most of the crunch on Foundry, there are quirks at the core of the system that simply doesn't work for me and my group.

So I've put my WFRP GMing on paus and wait for Zweihänder Reforged to give it a serious play testing.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Wondering if anyone can recommend any good WFRP4e live plays and podcasts.

The one that I think is the best is Red Moon Roleplaying, they are playing through TEW at a good pace.

Grim and perilous are a bit too talky for me, it takes them forever to get anywhere. But on the occasions they get the pace up it is quite enjoyable. It might also take som time to get used to one of the quite annoying PCs ... :)

I also recommend The Oldhammer Fiction Podcast. It is not WFRP, rather it is a person reading the short stories and novels set in the Warhammer setting (both fantasy and 40k), sort of like an audiobook. The reading is followed by reflections on the setting which are very interesting.

BigZebra

Adventurer
How is it compared to 5e? I would like to try it, but I'm afraid my players wouldn't like it that much, since they adore the high octane D&D combats, and crazy ass player high-magic abilities.

TheSword

Legend
How is it compared to 5e? I would like to try it, but I'm afraid my players wouldn't like it that much, since they adore the high octane D&D combats, and crazy ass player high-magic abilities.
So of my four D&D groups three have enjoyed it and a forth is about to try it…

… combat is high octane. Every combatant counts and every combatant is dangerous…

… however. It definitely isn’t high magic. Magic is rare and unusual and dangerous.

My wizard’s apprentice character can’t use magic yet. It’s best to think of a wizard as a scholar who can occasionally cast a spell to start with. For the first 5-10 sessions you probably won’t be using much magic in combat (it’s a lot easier to use outside combat).

Despite that the group of 8 I’m a player in has a wizard, a witch and a priest.

TheSword

Legend
I should say individual spells are harder to cast but have more impact. It can take a couple of rounds to cast a single good spell but when it is done - it can be game changing.

To cast spells you channel the winds of Magic with a channelling and when you’ve collected enough you can cast a spell that can do some pretty amazing things.

I like that wearing the right robes can make things easier. Also a proper wizards staff can be used to deliver touch spells and make spells easier to cast. You can also create scrolls, potions and power stones.

BigZebra

Adventurer
I also now that the Advantages-rules got a big improvement in Arms of Fire. And also that the magic book (Winds of Magic?) improved spells/magic. So I get a feeling they are kind of needed?
And also - how action-packed are the Ubersreik adventures? My 5e group like a ration of 30% non-action and 70% action, and I get the feeling that we would have to change that significantly (not that that is necessarily a problem, but more that it is something to be aware of).

TheSword

Legend
I also now that the Advantages-rules got a big improvement in Arms of Fire. And also that the magic book (Winds of Magic?) improved spells/magic. So I get a feeling they are kind of needed?
And also - how action-packed are the Ubersreik adventures? My 5e group like a ration of 30% non-action and 70% action, and I get the feeling that we would have to change that significantly (not that that is necessarily a problem, but more that it is something to be aware of).
Hmm. Good questions.

I do think Up in Arms and Winds of Magic are highly recommended. They take the core simple rules and make them much better IMHO. You can run without but my groups much prefer the new Group Advantage for instance in Up in Arms. So why not.

Combat ratio - it varies. To be honest it also depends on how belligerent the party is and how you want to work combat into things. However I would say most WFRP adventures un 70% - 30% the other way (30% combat). That said some elements Death on the Reik and Horned Rat for instance probably run 50-50.

That said. In D&D combat is the most interesting part so it is ever likely it dominates. In WFRP 4e roleplay and investigation is mechanically supported and adventures are written with that at the core so it becomes more interesting.

You could always try running a D&D adventure in WFRP like I’m doing and see how it goes?

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I love the Old World, and there are so many things to like about 4e: great fluff and supplements from C7, amazing Foundry modules, etc etc. And has been noted, hilariously evil diseases - hello Toe Rot!

But even with automating most of the crunch on Foundry, there are quirks at the core of the system that simply doesn't work for me and my group.

So I've put my WFRP GMing on paus and wait for Zweihänder Reforged to give it a serious play testing.
What are some of the quirks that through you off? Not trying to proselytize to you or convince you of anything. I'm just curious. The big one for me was the Core magic rules. But I'm really like the Winds of Magic alternate rules. The only issue I have with Winds of Magic is that one of my player is REALLY into wizards. Always plays that class in D&D. And is playing a wizard of the Grey Order in our WFRP campaign. He is also good a rules mastery. This is all good. But he is really into bringing in some of the WoM subsystems on potions, familiars, etc. Also, all good. The one thing I'm not sure I want to deal with in this campaign is all the ley lines and waypoint stuff. I don't want to play a mini game of Minecraft redstone engineering in my WFRP campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads