D&D 5E A First Look at Tasha’s Lineage System In AL Player’s Guide - Customizing Your Origin In D&D

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix. The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as...

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix.

38384683-0EFA-4481-8D96-3C033B9F7F03.jpeg

The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as an appendix to this document and doesn’t count against the PH + 1 rule.

You can do any of the following (obviously the full document has more detail):

1. Move your race ability score increases wherever your want to. “...take any ability score increase you gain in your race or subrace and apply it to an ability score of your choice.”​

2. Replace each language from your race with any language from a set list.​

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.​

4. Alter behaviour/personality race-based descriptions.​

Its not clear if that’s the whole Lineage system or just part of it. You can download the player’s guide here.

I am not sure what you mean by the bold part. Are you talking about a splat book?
'Splat' is one selection, of a trait package. Class, race, etc. In this case the race.

Ya, I'm just not sure what you point is. Are you trying to say that this change just shifts the racial imbalance to different areas?
Yes.

You list armor proficiency, but doesn't the sneak peek say in addition to the ability score you can:

"3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type."

So can't you just swap those around too. Obviously we are not seeing the full / final rules, but I took it as pretty much make your own. Maybe I misunderstood.
Armour proficiency is not among the proficiency that can be traded. So only way to get it is to be a mountain dwarf, who on top of that get two +2s whereas most other races only get +2 and +1. This was originally to balance the fact that their strength bonus and armour proficiency never were beneficial for the same class, but not that they can shift the bonuses this no longer makes sense. This makes them superior a choice for classes that would normally not get an armour proficiency at all.

'Splat' is one selection, of a trait package. Class, race, etc. In this case the race.

Yes.

Armour proficiency is not among the proficiency that can be traded. So only way to get it is to be a mountain dwarf, who on top of that get two +2s whereas most other races only get +2 and +1. This was originally to balance the fact that their strength bonus and armour proficiency never were beneficial for the same class, but not that they can shift the bonuses this no longer makes sense. This makes them superior a choice for classes that would normally not get an armour proficiency at all.

Imagine that mountain dwarf wizard: +2 Int, +2 Con/Dex , medium armor. Wow!

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released.

You can do any of the following (obviously the full document has more detail):

1. Move your race ability score increases wherever your want to. “...take any ability score increase you gain in your race or subrace and apply it to an ability score of your choice.”​
Its not clear if that’s the whole Lineage system or just part of it. You can download the player’s guide here.

leans back in chair

Finally, I can officially give my rock gnome PCs the +1 to Strength I believe they should have had from the start.

Me likey.

Hussar

Legend
I have to admit, I've always been baffled by the notion that variant humans are better than standard humans. +1 to EVERY stat? Good grief, that's a huge bonus. Who cares about MAD when you've got bonuses to pretty much everything? Me? I ADORE watching players use point buy and Variant Humans to make one trick ponies. Oh, look, you dump statted strength so you can jack up your Dex? Good luck getting out of that pit trap that's quickly filling with water. What? Your character can't swim? Well, guess it's time to make a new one bud. Maybe next time makes something a tad more rounded and you won't get killed.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have to admit, I've always been baffled by the notion that variant humans are better than standard humans. +1 to EVERY stat? Good grief, that's a huge bonus. Who cares about MAD when you've got bonuses to pretty much everything? Me? I ADORE watching players use point buy and Variant Humans to make one trick ponies. Oh, look, you dump statted strength so you can jack up your Dex? Good luck getting out of that pit trap that's quickly filling with water. What? Your character can't swim? Well, guess it's time to make a new one bud. Maybe next time makes something a tad more rounded and you won't get killed.
You sound nice.

Remove ads

Remove ads