D&D 5E A First Look at Tasha’s Lineage System In AL Player’s Guide - Customizing Your Origin In D&D

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix. The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as...

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix.

38384683-0EFA-4481-8D96-3C033B9F7F03.jpeg

The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as an appendix to this document and doesn’t count against the PH + 1 rule.

You can do any of the following (obviously the full document has more detail):

1. Move your race ability score increases wherever your want to. “...take any ability score increase you gain in your race or subrace and apply it to an ability score of your choice.”​

2. Replace each language from your race with any language from a set list.​

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.​

4. Alter behaviour/personality race-based descriptions.​

Its not clear if that’s the whole Lineage system or just part of it. You can download the player’s guide here.

You are misinterpreting my position. I am not okay with racial imbalance. I think Mountain Dwarves are inherently better, which is why I am changing that in my games. And, yes, people have told me this change will ruin D&D.

Who? Maybe start reading and stop jumping to conclusions... I just refute the idea, that +1 less is game ruining. And I think the solution presented makes the game more imbalanced than less so. But not in a meaningful way. Its just that the source of the problem is not dried up, but only shifted to a different place...

Last edited:

What I think will change now is instead of picking a class and then finding a race with stats that compliments it, it becomes picking a class then pairing it with racial benefits that are powerful.

I agree.

At the same time, eschewing the more universal abilities, and switching the focus onto the more distinctive heritage benefits, emphasizes and actualizes the flavor of the heritage.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Who? Maybe start reading and stop jumping to conclusions... I just refute the idea, that +1 less is game ruining. And I think the solution presented makes the game more imbalanced than less so. But not in a meaningful way. Its just that the source of the problem is not dried up, but only shifted to a different place...
It was mostly in other discussions, but I have encountered multiple people who stated that this change will ruin D&D, or make the game no longer be D&D.

This does not make the game more imbalanced. Letting a half-orc get a +2 Wisdom and +1 Dexterity won't imbalance the game.

It was mostly in other discussions, but I have encountered multiple people who stated that this change will ruin D&D, or make the game no longer be D&D.

This does not make the game more imbalanced. Letting a half-orc get a +2 Wisdom and +1 Dexterity won't imbalance the game.

No, it does not. But it does not help the game either when mountain dwarves have +2 Int, +2 Con and chain mail proficiency. And only changing for change´s sake, not to improve the game should be avoided.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
No, it does not. But it does not help the game either when mountain dwarves have +2 Int, +2 Con and chain mail proficiency. And only changing for change´s sake, not to improve the game should be avoided.
IMHO, it does improve the game. And also, they don't get chainmail, they get medium armor. Chainmail is heavy. As I've said before, mountain dwarves were a problem before, and it's not this ability's fault that the race is poorly designed.

IMHO, it does improve the game. And also, they don't get chainmail, they get medium armor. Chainmail is heavy. As I've said before, mountain dwarves were a problem before, and it's not this ability's fault that the race is poorly designed.
Yes, it is medium armor, my bad. I don´t find them badly designed. I actually like them, because +2/+2 is unique and giving them a feature, that is useful whenever you don´t profit much from +2 strength is nice. But that is just a personal opinion. And you may have yours. And actually, we both agree, that while the intend of the rule is good, the execution could be better. I see no harm in the new rule, if used with care. And you like it, so we are all good.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, Mountains Dwarves were given the +2 for STR instead of +1 because most of the classes that would really benefit from the STR bump already have those armor proficiencies... So, they made it a bit better.

I have no clue why they insisted on giving Half-Elves a +2 CHA and two floating +1 ASIs... :rolleyes: The race is already great with darkvision, two extra skills, and fey ancestry, plus an extra language...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Well, Mountains Dwarves were given the +2 for STR instead of +1 because most of the classes that would really benefit from the STR bump already have those armor proficiencies... So, they made it a bit better.

I have no clue why they insisted on giving Half-Elves a +2 CHA and two floating +1 ASIs... :rolleyes: The race is already great with darkvision, two extra skills, and fey ancestry, plus an extra language...
Half-elves have always been one of my favorite races, so I never minded too much. I do prefer the Dragonmarked Half-elves from Eberron as being much better balanced, even if they are slightly weaker.

Remove ads

Remove ads