D&D 5E A First Look at Tasha’s Lineage System In AL Player’s Guide - Customizing Your Origin In D&D

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix. The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as...

The new player’s guide for the D&D Adventurers League has been released. Appendix 1 includes the new info from Tasha’s Cauldron on customizing your origin. It‘s a one-page appendix.

38384683-0EFA-4481-8D96-3C033B9F7F03.jpeg

The D&D Adventurers League now uses this variant system from Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything since it allows for a greater degree of customization. For ease of reference, the relevant information is included as an appendix to this document and doesn’t count against the PH + 1 rule.

You can do any of the following (obviously the full document has more detail):

1. Move your race ability score increases wherever your want to. “...take any ability score increase you gain in your race or subrace and apply it to an ability score of your choice.”​

2. Replace each language from your race with any language from a set list.​

3. Swap each proficiency for another of the same type.​

4. Alter behaviour/personality race-based descriptions.​

Its not clear if that’s the whole Lineage system or just part of it. You can download the player’s guide here.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I know that I personally will not allow Simple Weapons to be traded for tools, only for other simple weapons. I would make it be Martial Weapons that can be traded for tools. That would get rid of a bit of exploiting.

ChaosOS

Legend
I know that I personally will not allow Simple Weapons to be traded for tools, only for other simple weapons. I would make it be Martial Weapons that can be traded for tools. That would get rid of a bit of exploiting.

Might I suggest you instead limit it to Artisan's tools? I know it might seem like a lot to allow say Thieves Tools, but carpentry tools are barely useful and you still get away from genetic weapon proficiency

Weiley31

Legend
I mean, if your gonna complain about the Mountain Dwarf and it's +2/+2 with it armor proficiency, then keep in mind the Planeshift Amonkhet Aven Hawk subrace gets +2/+2(Dex/WIS) as well as free Perception proficiency (which I've seen alot of people say is the "god" skill of 5E and pretty much can be the "Sniper" of the group since they don't worry about disadvantage on long range.) So a nice choice if your looking for a good race for Rangers, Monks, and Druids(Hello 2E Swanmays),

Clerics get Medium Armor Proficiency, so your pretty much almost getting the same bonuses as the Lineage Mountain Dwarf while being able to make it a Finesse weapon user.

If you flip the Stats around, as per the optional Lineage variant rule, then the Amonkhet Aven(Hawk) can open up a lot more options, including Flying Bird Wizards.

Last edited:

ChaosOS

Legend
I mean, if your gonna complain about the Mountain Dwarf and it's +2/+2 with it armor proficiency, then keep in mind the Planeshift Amonkhet Aven Hawk subrace gets +2/+2(Dex/WIS) as well as free Perception proficiency (which I've seen alot of people say is the "god" skill of 5E and pretty much can be the "Sniper" of the group since they don't worry about disadvantage on long range.) So a nice choice if your looking for a good race for Rangers, Monks, and Druids(Hello 2E Swanmays),

Clerics get Medium Armor Proficiency, so your pretty much almost getting the same bonuses as the Lineage Mountain Dwarf.

If you flip the Stats around, as per the optional Lineage variant rule, then the Amonkhet Aven(Hawk) can open up a lot more options, including Flying Bird Wizards.

Planeshifts aren't official and have never been held to nearly the same standards of balance - they're James Wyatt's first drafts where he goes to get the theme.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've never liked the rock gnome's tinker ability, if I've ever felt that something should be part of a race it was that ability. It should instead be something that anyone with the right training (in this case, tinker's tools) can do. I've felt the same about the weapon/armour proficiencies as well but not to the same degree.

I've never liked the rock gnome's tinker ability, if I've ever felt that something should be part of a race it was that ability. It should instead be something that anyone with the right training (in this case, tinker's tools) can do. I've felt the same about the weapon/armour proficiencies as well but not to the same degree.

Giving proficiencies back then was the safest solution.
In hindsight, biological advantage should have been done differently.
Gnomes could just have keen smell like some animals and gain advantage on identifying potions maybe even without any spell. Elves could have advantage vs being surprised.
Being best at tinkering though might be cultural though I fear. Rock gnomes have the semimagical ability to build clockwork toys though.

Giving proficiencies back then was the safest solution.
In hindsight, biological advantage should have been done differently.
Gnomes could just have keen smell like some animals and gain advantage on identifying potions maybe even without any spell. Elves could have advantage vs being surprised.
Being best at tinkering though might be cultural though I fear. Rock gnomes have the semimagical ability to build clockwork toys though.

Or how human brains are hardwired for tribalism (us vs. them), gnome brains would be hardwired to tinker and invent.

Remove ads

Remove ads