• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A German in America

Ok, enough commenting on others post, let me drop some of my own. What is really interesting is that you describe the public transportation systems and ask why they aren't better developed. I would agree except that distance between some of our cities is larger than all of Europe combined. As someone that grew up in the middle of nowhere, a walk to the store was a 15 mile trip. The entire time I spent in Europe, I was never 15 miles from anywhere unless you count the times I was hiking in the Alps and even that was probably not true.

Living in Augsburg, I could catch the 'StraBe' to the hauptbahnhof and then ride the train to anywhere and possibly use an U-bahn if it was available, even if I were to go to a small town outside of a large city. In the town I grew up in, there are no rails, no buses, no taxis, heck in some places the roads aren't even paved. The nearest 'city was a 15 minute drive away and the nearest airport is 2 and a half hours in St Louis Missouri (that's a whole 'nother state over.) I hate to bring this up, especially with you being German and please understand this is only because its a historical reference, but during WW II we had a POW camp for Nazi prisoners just outside of my hometown. The reason was because the prisoners were flown or shipped to New York, put on a train for 3 days to get to the midwest, put on a truck for 3 days and dropped in the middle of nowhere with the sole purpose of demoralizing them because even if they escaped, there was nowhere for them to go. (Again, I apologize for the example, but it does clearly illustrate my point.) Unlike Europe, there are still largely open areas of undeveloped land in the middle, and while the coasts may say Green is Good and Gas is bad, tell that to someone that has to drive 45 minutes to pick up a major appliance or 20 minutes to go to the grocery store; cars aren't a luxury they are a necessity.

As for the trains honking when passing though a town, you'll probably find that there is a crossing within 1/4 mile of your location. It is US transportation law that interstate rail transportation honk to warn pedestrians and vehicles within 1/4 mile of a crossing - when you are passing through towns, that's fairly often. Also, small intracity trains honk too, but their warning distance vary by city, even subways honk when approaching platforms in some cities.

Your swimming story cracks me up, as an American who was in Europe I was always trying to figure out how many Kilometers was in a mile (Roughly 3.3 by the way) so you had quite a workout if you went 1 mile. :D

The flags vary by state too - In Maryland you have to have the ground surveyed 24 hours prior to the dig after which they place flags that stay up during the duration of the construction and then are moved. It might be that this is the case (new or scheduled construction on the horizon) in Columbus, but having never lived there, I wouldn't be able to confirm this.

BTW Lyndon LaRouche is a nut job. :D

I always thought it was weird that Europeans said ground floor then first floor, I mean, the ground floor IS the first floor. Hmmm? :D

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Thunderfoot said:
...how many Kilometers was in a mile (Roughly 3.3 by the way)
Huh?
1 km = 0.62 miles
1 mile = 1.61 km

I have to know, I'm a German living in the UK! (though I usually approximate with 1 km ~ 2/3 mile and 1 mile ~ 1.5 km).
Thunderfoot said:
I always thought it was weird that Europeans said ground floor then first floor, I mean, the ground floor IS the first floor. Hmmm? :D
Not if you see "floor" as that flat thin plane of concrete/wood/whatever construction... The ground is the ground, the first floor is the first floor (as in constructed thing to stand on). ;)

(and if you look at the German word for "floor" as in first/second/third a.s.o. floor, it's "Stock" or "Stockwerk" - sharing a root with works like "aufstocken" - which means "to add on", "to extend something" [build.], or "to ramp sth. up").

Cheers, LT.

GentleGiant

Explorer
Thunderfoot
I don't know which measurements you normally use, but a mile is 1.6093 kilometers, so Jürgen would only have been doing 60% more lanes than usual, not 3.3 times as many. :D

Also, I'd like you to point out where in the US the distance between some of your larger cities is greater than all of Europe combined...
Besides, I'm pretty sure Jürgen primarily meant transportation within cities.
From my experience, even smaller cities (circa 50,000 people I think my best example had) are laid out as what I would describe as... "sprawling."
City planning could definitely have been done better (granted, the same is true about some European cities). However, the problem a lot of cities face is, of course, what to do with the layout already in place.
People value the freedom to go anywhere anytime they so desire and a car facilitates that, the question is whether it's necessary to take the car when your travel distance is fairly limited. People take their car everywhere, even when it's easily within biking or walking distance.
You drive to work, then if you go out for lunch you take the car, even if the diner is just two blocks down the road. Better public transportation could mean that you have a whole designated downtown area that is virtually free of cars, where, if you live outside the city, you drive to the outskirts and then take public transportation (or ride a bike) into the city proper. It would create safer and healthier cities, save on gas/oil, provide health benefits for those who chose to walk/ride a bike... all at a lesser expense than what it costs in gas for everyone now.

ssampier

First Post
I like that idea; speaking as a small town dweller that hates parking in the city. I've taken a few city buses in my day; slow and inefficient.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Jürgen Hubert said:
Well, I am currently contemplating where to go for my week of vacation in the first week of June. Washington DC and NYC are at the top of my list, but I haven't decided to which of those I will go...

I've been to both, and each has far more stuff than you'll need to fill a week. So flip a coin - you'll have a good time whichever way it lands!

drothgery

First Post
Thunderfoot said:
NY? Pennsylvania - Midwest? - HAHAHAHA! As a born and bred Heartland Illinois boy, (that's that area WAYYYYY down south right in the corner between Missouri, Kentucky and Arkansas - there isn't a New Yorker born I would even CONSIDER to be Midwestern and Pennsylvania, though pretty and definitely less urban and snobbish than the rest of the Mid-Atlantic North-Eastern states is a far cry from the Midwest.

Pittsburgh and Buffalo are, at least in my experience, most definitely in the same cultural swath as Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee. New York City and Philladelphia most definitely are not (and are more logically grouped with Boston and DC). That Buffalo and NYC are in the same state, and so are Pittsburgh and Philladelphia, tends to confuse the issue.

kenobi65

First Post
GentleGiant said:
\Also, I'd like you to point out where in the US the distance between some of your larger cities is greater than all of Europe combined...

New York to Los Angeles: 2778 miles
Seattle to Miami: 3359 miles

Even some less extreme examples:
New York to St. Louis: 951 miles
Chicago to San Francisco: 2133 miles

Even staying on one coast:
New York to Miami: 1297 miles
Seattle to Los Angeles: 1136 miles

Now, I'm no expert on European maps, and I'm sure you could find some longer trips in Europe, but here's a couple of driving distances for comparison:

London to Vienna: 915 miles
Stockholm to Barcelona: 1737 miles

(All mileage from Mapquest)

GentleGiant

Explorer
kenobi65 said:
New York to Los Angeles: 2778 miles
Seattle to Miami: 3359 miles

Even some less extreme examples:
New York to St. Louis: 951 miles
Chicago to San Francisco: 2133 miles

Even staying on one coast:
New York to Miami: 1297 miles
Seattle to Los Angeles: 1136 miles

Now, I'm no expert on European maps, and I'm sure you could find some longer trips in Europe, but here's a couple of driving distances for comparison:

London to Vienna: 915 miles
Stockholm to Barcelona: 1737 miles

(All mileage from Mapquest)
Obviously, if you do cross country measurements then they're larger than across Europe. The North American continent is much larger than the European continent.
However, I took it to mean that there were major cities which were located farther away from other (i.e. nearest) major cities than the distance across all of Europe. As far as I can see on Google Earth, that's not the case.
But, again, what Jürgen has been talking about seems to be public transportation in cities, not cross country.

kenobi65

First Post
GentleGiant said:
However, I took it to mean that there were major cities which were located farther away from other (i.e. nearest) major cities than the distance across all of Europe. As far as I can see on Google Earth, that's not the case.

Ahh...yes, adding the word "nearest" makes it a different discussion. :)

GentleGiant said:
But, again, what Jürgen has been talking about seems to be public transportation in cities, not cross country.

That varies widely from city to city. Some bigger cites have very good, very extensive public transportation systems. A lot of them don't. (And, yes, particularly if large parts of the city and suburbs were built after WWII, when cars became ubiquitous, it can get very sprawly, and hard to navigate if you're limited to public transportation.) If you live far enough outside of a major city, public transportation may be nearly (or completely) non-existant.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I'll chime in to confirm this, while quality of mass transit in cities is variable the area occupied by the rural areas between them is far greater despite its sparse population. There are regions larger than entire European nations where public transportation is simply non-existant. No bus stops though you may occasionally see a Grayhound pass through, plenty of train tracks but all freight lines with no stops or stations even if they did carry passengers. Where the nearest store is 15 to 20 miles away and you make trips to it every three weeks or so, go into the nearest city maybe once every three to four months.

I would like to point out though that the RURAL population of the US is equal to the entire population of the UK. So even though far more people live in the major metropolitan areas the rural population is big.

Remove ads