A Government By Psions?

What would you call a psionic government? Hm...an intelligent government...
Unique?
over qualified?
Unemployed?
Paradox?
Nerdocracy?

sorry but you can't expect a total absence of humour from such a question! :p

PsiCorps.
The Corp is Mother! the Corp is Father!
ever read the novels? gives scary insight to the Corps history which in turn, gives scary ideas of what psionic governemnt in D&D could be like...
sort of like "The Prisoner"...

I'm gonna go for an old variation on the Greek (Koine).

Psuche, or Psuchos (life, breath, mind). Meaning, like psyche, both soul, and butterfly, but also connotatively linked to the mind.

Using psuchos as the base, then the term would be Psucracy.

Since the p is silent, then the term would phonetically be su-cracy, which sounds a great deal like "Secrecy."

Which to me would be how I would picture a government run by psuchons (Psychic-Archons), as a secretive, sub-rosan affair.

So I'd call the form of government a Psucracy, the leaders Psuchons, and the method of "election to service," Psucratic.
The P isn't silent. Also, Greek u is usually written y in English transliterations.

So you really haven't done anything other than come up with the exact same word we already had: psychic, and psycracy, psycratic.

Jack7

First Post
The P isn't silent.

You don't say, p-sy-kik. You say si-kik, just as the ch represents not ch as in choo-choo train in English, but a k in pronunciation. Depending upon what time period of the Greek language you are speaking of, it is a whispered aspirant or silent. Though even in Classical and pre-classical Greek it is rarely pronounced in the way we think of as a p, but rather as pitched accent, Greek originally being a musical language.

Also, Greek u is usually written y in English transliterations.

That's why I mentioned Koine. To avoid that confusion.

So you really haven't done anything other than come up with the exact same word we already had: psychic, and psycracy, psycratic.

I made no claim to anything new, per se.

I simply suggested a variation (a variation being a slightly different version of the norm, maybe I didn't make that plain enough) on the Greek whose pronunciation can be either sy, se, but more usually su-key, or su-chai (depending upon dialect), and so is a slant or even an alliterated rhyme for secret (e.g. secret psuche) which I associated with the covert nature of what I believed would be the functional character of such a government.

True, Koine is not as old as Classical Greek, or some other forms, but then again variations (oral and written) usually follow after the original version of a language rather than preceding the original.

But no, I wasn't claiming newness, but rather variation in pronunciation, sound, rhyme, and sense.

By the way, you forgot psuchon. I also introduced that variation on the Archon.

Last edited:

You don't say, p-sy-kik. You say si-kik, just as the ch represents not ch as in choo-choo train in English, but a k in pronunciation. Depending upon what time period of the Greek language you are speaking of, it is a whispered aspirant or silent. Though even in Classical and pre-classical Greek it is rarely pronounced in the way we think of as a p, but rather as pitched accent, Greek originally being a musical language.
I don't know where you got that. Ask any historical linguist whether or not ancient Greek pronounces the p in initial consonant clusters and they'd all agree that it does. Of course there are different iterations of Greek over the years (we do, after all, have a very long record of Greek as a language, compared to just about any other living language). But that's beside the point. If you're going to go back to ancient Greek to grab a u instead of a y, you can't really accurately say that the p is silent. It is in English. But that's irrelevant.

EDIT: Until well into the Roman period, that is, when the plosives started migrating into different pronunciation. Mostly because so many non-Greeks were using the language by then.
Jack7 said:
By the way, you forgot psuchon. I also introduced that variation on the Archon.
What? I didn't forget that. I never knew anything about it. Also: not at all relevant.

Last edited:

Remove ads