A Government By Psions?

Jack7

First Post
Well, to be fair, you did so kinda incorrectly (or at least imprecisely), hence my confusion about what you were talking about. Koine was coined (no pun intended) as the lingua franca of Alexander the Great's armies. Late Roman period koine was koine as it was hundreds of years later. You're talking about the very latest koine period, leading into Medieval greek. Since all you said was koine, that didn't make any sense to me, since my first thought of koine was the post-Alexandrian Hellenistic greek, not late Roman period greek.

I concede your point. It's fair enough and well argued. I was imprecise. I wasn't wrong, but then again neither were you, because you assumed I meant one era, and I assumed you understood my initial implication. That's the danger of language. One man's warning, is another man's risk. Maybe in the future we will both be better served by asking for more exact clarification of points made, rather than leaping to conclusions about points assumed.

"Τι κάνεις, Γιάννη." "Κουκιά σπέρνω."

Still, I think I got a pretty good poem out of it about the internet (I like poking fun at the internet). Yet fair is fair, and I cede your argument. Well enough played, even if we were playing on different courts, and in different ages.

Jack7

First Post
But I thought we were using the Psucratic method to choose the leaders... Naturally, he'd have the advantage under his own method.

You gotta point. Truthfully, and punfully. However telling the truth of what you know wasn't always a lifetime gig among the Athenians. Sometimes it's better to be the psurest man in the group, rather than just the wisest psuchae.

But I guess one never really knows.
Unless of course everyone's a mind reader.

Then I wonder how you go about governing anything?
One thing is for sure, you never have to wait for Primary Day to know how ya really stand.

Come to think of it though, a Psucracy might just be by nature one of the most secretive, dangerous, and clandestine of all forms of government. Half your time would be spent trying to accurately read your enemy, half the time trying to shield yourself from him.

It'd be a bloody, ugly mess.
I think in many ways I'd rather live under a good king.
At least you could sorta trust him some of the time.

Janx

Hero
You gotta point. Truthfully, and punfully. However telling the truth of what you know wasn't always a lifetime gig among the Athenians. Sometimes it's better to be the psurest man in the group, rather than just the wisest psuchae.

But I guess one never really knows.
Unless of course everyone's a mind reader.

Then I wonder how you go about governing anything?
One thing is for sure, you never have to wait for Primary Day to know how ya really stand.

Come to think of it though, a Psucracy might just be by nature one of the most secretive, dangerous, and clandestine of all forms of government. Half your time would be spent trying to accurately read your enemy, half the time trying to shield yourself from him.

It'd be a bloody, ugly mess.
I think in many ways I'd rather live under a good king.
At least you could sorta trust him some of the time.

there's a number of ways a government or society of telepaths would turn out.

A true telepath society would probably be more like the borg in decision making. It would be very natural for them to be connected all the time, and in doing so, be of common mind (since they are all constantly sharing information and feelings, they can't help it).

A society governed by "loner" teeps would be diffrerent, as they wouldn't be comfortable in each others heads. Thus, they'd be using their power on others, but resistant to having it done to them.

A society where only part of the populace were teeps would likely have the teeps feeling superior to the mundanes, and using that ability to lord over them. Depending on the social acceptance of teeps, they would rule clandestinely (PsiCorps from B5) or openly as nobody would have Willpower to act against them.

Brainiacracy

I'm just thinking the council chamber of this government would be like an episode of Old Trek, with three different brightly colored, slightly glowing brains, each in its own plexiglass container. Perhaps alternating brighter and softer, and throbbing their lobes as they "talk" to the hoomans.

Remove ads