• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E A humble 4e suggestion

Stone Dog

Adventurer
kenobi65 said:
Perhaps 4E will be more environmentally responsible. The trash heaps of 3.5 dungeons are obviously choked full with empty quivers. Pelor knows how long those will take to decompose -- the otyughs won't touch 'em!

:D
Thats it. Quivers and scabbards are officially the six-pack plastic rings of the D&D world.

D.Shaffer

First Post
How much would a group of arrows cost WITHOUT the quiver? I'm sure I have something like 10 of the things floating around by this point, I dont need another. :D

Zamkaizer

First Post
An idea: sell the quiver with the bow. After all, may quivers are designed to hold a bow, along with arrows.

I don't believe scabbards should have their own entry in the equipment section. After all, the shapes of scabbards are as varied as the shapes of swords. They should be included with the weapon, and there should perhaps be a blurb about the cost to upgrade them.

Zzyzx

First Post
I would like to buy masterwork quivers that hold more than 20 arrows.

I would like to buy jewel-encrusted quivers to match the rest of my gaudy outfit.

I am glad that I am the DM, so I can do all these things.

Masquerade

First Post
Moniker said:
Some folks, such as myself, take joy in cataloguing every item that I may have on my person (negligible for weight purposes or not).

:)
I have done that myself (certain styles of play demand it), but do you need an extensive list of items in the book to do so?

IMHO, tracking each item you carry shouldn't be an assumed part of the game any more than tracking each individual pick in a set of thieves' tools. D&D has never been as bad in this respect as Shadowrun, for example, where (IME) players routinely spend more time selecting gear than building the actual character's stats, but it's still a sacred cow I think we'll be seeing less of in 4e.

:)

Gloombunny

First Post
Zzyzx said:
I would like to buy masterwork quivers that hold more than 20 arrows.
How does quality workmanship increase the internal volume of the quiver? Wouldn't a quiver that holds more arrows have to be just plain bigger, not more finely crafted?

Klaus

First Post
Masquerade said:
I'm afraid I have to disagree.

If the cost and weight of an object are nearly negligible and the object doesn't serve any purpose mechanically, I'm not sure it needs to be listed in the book.
Whereas I, OTOH, would like to see a "containers" section, with Backpack, Saddlebag, Quiver, Scabbard, Pouch, Adventurer's Bag (my invention), Scroll Holder, Wand Bracer, etc.

To me, when you buy arrows, they come bundled and tied into a neat stack inside a piece of cloth. When your quiver is empty, just slip the bundle into the quiver and remove the twine that ties it. Full round action: refill quiver.

Listing those containers open the door for, among other things, enchanting containers, so you have a Scabbard of Keen Edges, a Replenishable Quiver, etc. And when you buy a container, you get a clear section in your inventory to fill. Might even make encumbrance easier.

Irda Ranger

First Post
RangerWickett said:
What about magic arrows and magic swords? Do those come with quivers and sheathes?
Depends on where you buy them, of course. The more cost-conscious Magic*Marts simply sell you the item, without even a paper wrapper. You should see the very excellent box that most magic rings come in though - an most delightful shade of blue-green.

Remove ads