• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E A humble 4e suggestion

Klaus

First Post
Nyaricus said:
Potion Belt! Do NOT forget the Potion Belt!

But really, great post Klaus :D

cheers,
--N
I have my own version, the adventurer's belt, with room for several things (and a fillable sheet to match).

Here's one where you can see the potion placement:

murky_depths.jpg

Wepwawet

Explorer
Only the first time you buy arrows you get a quiver. Or you might already have it, from those child days (aka background).
The next time you buy arrows, you put them inside the first quiver. If it's broken, you get another one when buying more arrows.

At least that what happens in my environment conscious campaign world hehehehe :D

Jinete

Explorer
wgreen said:
Each set of arrows you buy comes with a quiver, so there's no need to buy them separately. Likewise with sheaths and scabbards.

-Will

But can you wear more than one quiver at a time? And what happens if you run out of arrows, do you:
1. drop the empty quiver, pull out the new one from your backpack/bag of holding, equip the new quiver (3 move equivalent actions)
2. drop the empty quiver, equip the backup one that was hanging from your waist (2 move equivalent actions)
3. sling the backup quiver over your other shoulder (1 move equivalent action)
4. just start drawing arrows from your backup quiver

I wouldn't mind seeing better rules for this sort of thing. I played a ranger once, and during combat the rogue ran out of arrows so I had to give him some of mine. We had some trouble adjudicating just how many actions are needed, and how many arrows can I give him.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Slightly off topic, but something I have just ignored for many years and I'm curious as to what others do: Arrows come in their quiver, but crossbow bolts come in a wooden case. When you reload your crossbow, do you have to open the case, remove a bolt, close the case etc.? Where does the case go when you are done reloading? Perhaps some people pick up discarded quivers and put their bolts in them?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
When you reload your crossbow, do you have to open the case, remove a bolt, close the case etc.? Where does the case go when you are done reloading? Perhaps some people pick up discarded quivers and put their bolts in them?

You take the case, snap it in place on the crossbow, and use it as an ammo clip.

Then you discard it as needed. :)

Brad

JohnSnow

Hero
Jinete said:
But can you wear more than one quiver at a time? And what happens if you run out of arrows, do you:
1. drop the empty quiver, pull out the new one from your backpack/bag of holding, equip the new quiver (3 move equivalent actions)
2. drop the empty quiver, equip the backup one that was hanging from your waist (2 move equivalent actions)

I wouldn't mind seeing better rules for this sort of thing. I played a ranger once, and during combat the rogue ran out of arrows so I had to give him some of mine. We had some trouble adjudicating just how many actions are needed, and how many arrows can I give him.

I could actually see a character wearing as many as two quivers. One slung on his back (opening towards shoulder of dominant hand) and one on his hip (same side as dominant hand). Those are the two traditional locations for a quiver to be carried, and a dedicated archer could manage both without too much trouble.

I do think there should be rules for quivers that hold more than 20 arrows though. And other things like that. Similarly, crossbow bolts should probably be kept in a quiver, even if they're purchased in a case.

Maybe we're just thinking too hard about this, but on the other hand some of the coolest magic items ever are quivers/scabbards. There's the Quiver of Ehlonna, the scabbard of Excalibur (which prevented the wearer from losing blood), and the scabbard Galadriel gave Aragorn (which prevented Anduril from ever being broken again), among others.

I guess I just think subtle magic items are cool.

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
If you find a Sword of Awesomeness in the dungeon, you'd better hope it has a sheath, because otherwise you need to buy a new sword to get one......? :confused:

Ditto arrows. How many old modules had things like barrels with 100 arrows in them?

PC: "Cool. I take some arrows."

DM: "What do you put them in?"

PC: "I should have bought an extra quiver!"

DM: "You can't. Folks 'round here refuse to sell quivers individually. They only come in blister packs with 20 arrows......"

RC

Klaus

First Post
Jinete said:

Like I posted above, I think quivers should be sold separatedly, and you buy arrows by the bundle. You keep the bundles in your backpack, and when your quiver runs empty you pull out a bundle, place it in the quiver, pulls out the string tying them together and start firing again.

I attached a picture I did for Tunnels & Trolls 30th Anniversary Edition. You can see the barrel full of arrow bundles at the bottom right.

attachment.php

Attachments

• t&t_equip.jpg
    t&t_equip.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 154

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
See, none of this quiver business would ever have been a problem if the designers had just admitted it and statted out the ranger's magic bow from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. No need for a quiver when your bow generates unlimited arrows of magical force.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads