A humble request...

ChaosShard

Explorer
I'll be posting this in a few places, please forgive me if you see this in a few different forums...

Since the announcement of 4th Edition, I've taken to reading and posting on forums that I had previously just lurked. After years of playing, reading about, and enjoying not only Forgotten Realms, but D&D in its entirety. I don't think this is anything special, in fact, I'd wager that almost everyone reading this can say the same thing.

4E is bringing major rules changes, especially concerning magic, and that's fine. I have yet to play the rules, but what I've heard sounds good, so I'll remain optimistic. Of course, settings with a great deal of complexity around the magic system will need changes to reflect that, ergo, Mystra's death and the Spellplague.

As with any change, people are upset, scared, angered, excited... None of these feelings are abnormal, and none of them should have been unexpected. Not by the (as yet unnamed) FR Dev team, the Wizards staff in general, or their parent company, Hasbro. Especially considering the nature of internet forums, this is all in a days work, and (comparing Gleemax to the Blizzard forums) is positively tame.

Yet almost everywhere I go, I hear "The Realms are dead!", "WotC is butching FR!" and so on. Most, if not all of this is from uninformed speculation, as are the more optimistic posts. We don't know what's happening, and many of us feel powerless, left to fear for a world we've grown to know and love.

My request is a simple one, and hopefully, will reach the eyes and ears of people who will respond to it:

Please, give us some feedback.

Many of us realize that the FRCS is the last of the four books coming out next summer, and that you're all exceptionally busy. We also realize that you can't possibly have finished all of the story (let alone mechanical) work for the Realms. The latter will require a finished 4e system, and the prior, a great deal of time and effort. No one in their right mind would ask for a writeup, let alone a PDF of what you have.

We just want to know that you're listening, that you know what we're thinking, and what direction things are really taking. Even so much as a brief "We're looking at that." or "No, this won't be X." helps.

Mr. Greenwood, I realize you're under an NDA, please don't think that you're being asked to violate it. Everyone knows that you would love nothing more than to show us every last note you have, and we also know that you can't. I apologize if this has bothered you at all.

Mr. Baker, I must thank you, as your post about the Deities is greatly appreciated, and that is exactly what I'm talking about. Can we possibly get some Realmslore articles in that vein, or even know roughly when to expect such?

Again, I hope that I'm not putting anyone on the spot with this, I just feel that some info on the general direction of the Realms will help the general mood of the proverbial natives.

Thanks for your time.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
My own concerns come from experience. I've seen what a time jump combined with a rules change and major world changes can do to a setting when Dragonlance entered the Fifth Age era and SAGA rules.

The one major difference this time around is that the rules will at least be another edition of D&D, which may help.

All of that being said, this may be a fantastic version of the Realms. It could also bomb, but I think if it does, then it will eventually return to its roots, much like Dragonlance did. Plus, Mr. Greenwood is involved, which is a huge help.

Give it a chance and see what happens. If you like it, great. If not, just use your old rule books and run the Realms your way. I promise that the Draconian Death Ninja Squad will not be beating you over the head with the 4e FRCS. ;)

ChaosShard

Explorer
Oh, definitely....

I'm actually quite hopeful that this will be a good, albeit, different version of the Realms. I'm more hoping that we can get some articles to stop the nigh-constant doomsaying that you see on the Wizards/Gleemax boards, but it's likely as not - now that I think on it - that nothing will stop that.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Dragonhelm said:
I've seen what a time jump combined with a rules change and major world changes can do to a setting when Dragonlance entered the Fifth Age era and SAGA rules.
What is this "Fifth Age" you speak of? SAGA rules? Huh? What's that?

<fingers in ears>*LA-DEE-LA-LA-LA!!*</fingers in ears>

I'm sorry. I didn't catch that. I think you were mumbling ....

I can attest, with 100% speaks-from-experience authority, that you are in no way required to "go along" with the changes in the published materials. My Ansalon "forked" from certain other's people's versions of Ansalon shortly before their version suffered the coming of Chaos. Although certain other people's version was more widely published than mine, I can assure you that my version is no less authoratative (particularly at my gaming table).

I know, I know ... it would be 'nice' if other people's versions of a particular world (aka, alternate Prime Materials) didn't fork quite so violently from your own, so that you can borrow materials from them more often, but it's also quite freeing. You can do anything you wish.

Did I mention that the Master of Past of Present actually uncoupled the Future and broke the Cycle of Ages set down by the High God during the Age of Starbirth? It's true. Of course, he was only capable of this because that whole "War of the Lance" thing was actually Takhisis' plot to break the Cycle of Ages in such a way that the Age of Despair (a.k.a., the Age of Evil) lasted "for all time" (as opposed to the mere few thousand years the Cycle called for, following the few thousand year reigns of Neutrality (Might) and Good (Dreams)). Yup, Takhisis wanted to break the Cycle, but a God was forbidden to do so, so she entrusted the power to a mortal. She picked the mortal very carefully. Too bad she didn't see that whole "the MoPnP loves Bupu" thing coming. Though, to be fair, no one saw that coming.

See what I mean about a clean break sometimes being the best? That was one of the best storylines I ever told ...

Treebore

First Post
Faerun will always be "my" Faerun. If I like what WOTC does to it, I incorporate it. If I don't it continues along the path my players and I come up with. Its how I handle every setting I use ever since they took Greyhawk in such radical directions I didn't want to go in.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Irda Ranger said:
What is this "Fifth Age" you speak of? SAGA rules? Huh? What's that?

<fingers in ears>*LA-DEE-LA-LA-LA!!*</fingers in ears>

I'm sorry. I didn't catch that. I think you were mumbling ....

ROTFL!

I can attest, with 100% speaks-from-experience authority, that you are in no way required to "go along" with the changes in the published materials.

I wanted to focus on this point. One thing I think people forget is that the Realms is a setting made up of centuries upon centuries of history. There's a lot to do. Players do not have to go along with the most current timeline. Find the timeline you like best, and run with it. Or have the timeline diverge into an alternate reality. Run the Realms your way!

For me, I'd probably use a bit of the timeline centered around the 2e products since I have a bunch of those and not so many 3e products. It's the era I know and like the best.

The same can be said of any setting. Don't like the Fifth Age? Play in the War of the Lance, the Cataclysm, the Third Dragon War, or any other era. Don't like a free city on Athas? Go back to a time when there wasn't one.

Go with what works for you. If you like the new products, run with it. If not, don't buy it and let the dollar speak for you. Above all, do what it takes to have fun. :)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Dragonhelm said:
Give it a chance and see what happens. If you like it, great. If not, just use your old rule books and run the Realms your way. I promise that the Draconian Death Ninja Squad will not be beating you over the head with the 4e FRCS. ;)

From the pieces of information we do have it doesn't sound as if I'd bother with it.

Which brings me to the second point: Since I probably won't use their timeline stuff, I won't have use for their books. I'd have liked a new FRCS with 4e goodness, but since they insist on going away from those things I like about the Realms, I won't buy that book. Or any supplement. Or any novels.

I liked how the Realms lived and breathed. A world where things happened even if I and my gaming group didn't do them ourselves. But now as they don't want to sell me those novels and RPG books any more, the Realms stop to live and breathe.

Plus, I'd probably have to do the rules conversions myself (since I won't give them any money for the 4e FRCS), which defeats the purpose of a detailed Campaign Setting.

Bottom line is: I'll say goodbye to the Realms altogether and move on to something else.

Heck, I have some novels lying around I haven't got around to read before they announced the changes to the Realms, and I can't bring myself to read them now.

Remove ads