D&D 5E A Knife in the Dark, A Rogues Handbook

Zardnaar

Legend
Sorry just checked the forums. Not my guide I just copied and pasted. If Morrus can transfer the thread that would be great. I offered to help out Mistwell last week to transfer stuff over.

miburo99

First Post
Hi Zardnaar. Thank you for saving my guide. Would you kindly credit me with authorship of the content? Alternatively I can just repost it.

[MENTION=98332]clutchbone[/MENTION], Any chance of adding your thoughts on the new Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide options as well as color coding? I'm a big fan of this guide and am thinking of creating an Arcane Trickster who utilizes Greenflame Blade.

Oramac

First Post
Swashbuckler
The Swashbuckler, as introduced in an Unearthed Arcana online article, is an archetype oriented around melee combat. Every Swashbuckler feature is both useful and thematically consistent, providing defense, offense, mobility and even some awesome battlefield control and out-of-combat utility. In fact, it may verge on being too good. The only downsides are that you still need a tank/meatshield (or better yet, two) to run interference, and also your DM may not allow Unearthed Arcana material in their campaign. Works well with strength or dexterity builds.

Fancy Footwork: Awesome mobility feature. This makes the Disengage action nigh-obsolete (except when you're adjacent to +2-3 foes), freeing up your bonus action for two-weapon fighting, Cunning Action(Hide), Elegant Maneuver or other shenanigans. You can even target two different creatures with two-weapon fighting for maximum coverage. Note that it doesn't require your melee attacks to hit to work.

Toujours l'Audace: Initiative bonus? Sure I'll take one. Oh wait, there's a footnote here... melee Sneak Attacks now work whether an ally is adjecent to the target or not? Sweet! How is this not the main perk of this feature?

Panache: An action to draw aggro better than any tank or to charm on par with any enchanter, at will. Seriously, this is so good it's broken. The taunt version in particular is open to a whole bunch of abuse: as written, if you taunt and then hide (or go invisble, fly, climb, etc) but stay within 60 feet of the target, it can't move away, it can't target you, and it can't attack anyone else. The charm version is Charisma(Persuasion) on steroids. The only weakness is you must share a language.

Elegant Maneuver: Bonus action advantage on Athletics or Acrobatics checks, which I believe occur as part of your movement. You can combine this with Fancy Footwork for a verticle getaway, or with Panache to give your DM a migraine. Rules lawyers might argue if this feature works out of combat as it specifies "on your turn".

Master Duelist: Once per short rest, if you miss an attack, roll again with advantage. Slightly diluted version of your level 20 feature Stroke of Luck

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time posting. First, a big thank you for all the guides! They're immensely helpful.

I have a quick, hopefully simple, question about how to use the Swashbuckler features.

As I understand it, any character gets three actions in combat: Action, Bonus Action, Movement (also reaction, but that's irrelevant to the question).

So if I'm playing a Two-Weapon Fighting Swashbuckler, how exactly do the features work for the actions described? Specifically, Panache as combined with Fancy Footwork and/or Elegant Maneuver.

Say I'm 15 feet from a bad guy. Move 15 feet in towards him, and in order to use FF, I have to attack him, but Panache requires my Action. As a two-weapon fighter, I can move in, use the action for Panache, Bonus Action to attack with the off-hand (I think?), and then move out 15 feet away without triggering an OA because of Fancy Footwork. Is this right?

In addition, can I then also use Cunning Action to hide, as described above with Panache? Or does Cunning Action use the same Bonus Action I just used to attack?

Thanks again!! Hope everyone's holiday has been spectacular!

bockscarrasor

First Post
Not an expert by any means, but I believe you are right in saying that you can move in, use Panache (action), attack with offhand (bonus action), then move away. You have already used your action and bonus action, so you would not be able to hide.

If you were going to Panache, that would count as action. So, Panache (they become charmed) then you hide. They wouldn't attack anything for that turn. This would allow you and your party to concentrate damage elsewhere.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time posting. First, a big thank you for all the guides! They're immensely helpful.

I have a quick, hopefully simple, question about how to use the Swashbuckler features.

As I understand it, any character gets three actions in combat: Action, Bonus Action, Movement (also reaction, but that's irrelevant to the question).

So if I'm playing a Two-Weapon Fighting Swashbuckler, how exactly do the features work for the actions described? Specifically, Panache as combined with Fancy Footwork and/or Elegant Maneuver.

Say I'm 15 feet from a bad guy. Move 15 feet in towards him, and in order to use FF, I have to attack him, but Panache requires my Action. As a two-weapon fighter, I can move in, use the action for Panache, Bonus Action to attack with the off-hand (I think?), and then move out 15 feet away without triggering an OA because of Fancy Footwork. Is this right?

In addition, can I then also use Cunning Action to hide, as described above with Panache? Or does Cunning Action use the same Bonus Action I just used to attack?

Thanks again!! Hope everyone's holiday has been spectacular!
Cunning action and twf both require a bonus action, of which you're limited to just one on your turn.

That aside, TWF requires you to have used your action to take the Attack action, so you couldn't use it with Panache anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Remove ads