D&D 5E A Knife in the Dark, A Rogues Handbook

chad stokes jr.

First Post
Two Weapon Fighting – Two shortsword attack rolls equal two chances to land sneak attack, but you won't be able to use cunning action in the same turn. This is tied with ranged for the most damaging choice (with Dual Wielder feat and 2 rapiers). While TWF allows more wiggle room in your build than ranged, it's also the riskiest option as you have no bonus action left to disengage from melee.

Was Mentioned Mainly the disengagement from battle and i was wondering if this applied to Eladrin Rogue with that Misty Step Trait was well in other words is Misty Step a boon to disengage or not. Im new to the game and currently have a High Elf rogue with TWF (Dagger x2 and S.Sword x2). Any and all advice or examples of how this word play out in a battle setting would be great thanks ^_^>. wait Rogues dont smile -_-.

Two Weapon Fighting – Two shortsword attack rolls equal two chances to land sneak attack, but you won't be able to use cunning action in the same turn. This is tied with ranged for the most damaging choice (with Dual Wielder feat and 2 rapiers). While TWF allows more wiggle room in your build than ranged, it's also the riskiest option as you have no bonus action left to disengage from melee.

Was Mentioned Mainly the disengagement from battle and i was wondering if this applied to Eladrin Rogue with that Misty Step Trait was well in other words is Misty Step a boon to disengage or not. Im new to the game and currently have a High Elf rogue with TWF (Dagger x2 and S.Sword x2). Any and all advice or examples of how this word play out in a battle setting would be great thanks ^_^>. wait Rogues dont smile -_-.

Misty Step requires a bonus action just like Cunning Action Disengage does. So, no, you can't use Misty Step the same round you TWF.

chad stokes jr.

First Post
Okay thank You so much for the clarification and being nice about it im hoping that i grasp these rules quickly as i am hoping to have fun playing the game and especially the rogue class ^_^... i mean -_- (cause rogues dont smile)

SpoCk0nd0pe

First Post
Since I have spent some time optimizing an AT, I would like to add that Greenflame Blade is really good for rogues. I think it deserves special mention when discussing cantrips and elves :)

clutchbone

First Post
Yeah, greenflame is great. Mechanically, I like booming blade better for its synergy with Cunning Action disengage, but thematically I dislike the "boom" aspect. Too noisy.

I'll be adding SCAG material (also VGtM, UA and Plane Shift) over the next few weeks. I haven't updated this since 2015, so there's a lot to cover.

jgsugden

Legend
You might start to collect ways to make an attack on another creature's turn without using a reaction, such as the variant mark ability in the dmg, as they allow you to make additional sneak attacks in a round.

SpoCk0nd0pe

First Post
Yeah, greenflame is great. Mechanically, I like booming blade better for its synergy with Cunning Action disengage, but thematically I dislike the "boom" aspect. Too noisy.

I'll be adding SCAG material (also VGtM, UA and Plane Shift) over the next few weeks. I haven't updated this since 2015, so there's a lot to cover.

If you do that, I would like to point out that Bladesinger/Arcane Trickster is a really good multi class. It stays very close to a full Rogue in damage output due to the SCAG cantrips scaling with char level (and to some extend the extra attack feature) but gets full casting and better defences. My favourite split is 8/12. I totally agree that the rogue features past level 12 are rather underwhelming. Same for Bladesinger past 8 (aside from higher level casting).

redit0

First Post
@clutchbone, have you considered releasing this in a printable version, or like a pdf? Something that can be kept around for reference? I'm sure I speak for others when I say I've learned a lot from your guide and commonly find myself searching it up again to refer back to. I'd love a pdf to just keep around for reference. I'm fine with it being branded or watermarked, or whatever means of maintaining your ownership over it you want, but it would just be so nice to have a portable version of the information you've compiled.

Last edited:

clutchbone

First Post
@clutchbone, have you considered releasing this in a printable version, or like a pdf? Something that can be kept around for reference? I'm sure I speak for others when I say I've learned a lot from your guide and commonly find myself searching it up again to refer back to. I'd love a pdf to just keep around for reference. I'm fine with it being branded or watermarked, or whatever means of maintaining your ownership over it you want, but it would just be so nice to have a portable version of the information you've compiled.

Wow, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you've found it useful! I originally decided to put this together because I was tired of waiting for someone else to do it, and even then I fully expected that someone else would make a better one just so my half-baked opinions wouldn't lead anyone astray.

Unfortunately I have no plans to make a PDF or similar at the moment. I'm not quite that tech-savvy, although I'm sure to some people it would be a cakewalk. Even just learning the BBCode for this forum was quite the challenge for me!

JPRKS

First Post
I'm assuming it is a typo, but how did you manage to learn Greenflame Blade on your Arcane Trickster-gnome? I saw you took the Magic Initiate feat for Wizard, but did you mean Warlock by chance?

Remove ads