• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Lecture on the Birth of Universes

Maldin

First Post
Greetings fellow scholars,

I, Maldin of Greyhawk, also have a theory on the origin of the multiverse. Tsillanabor and Felix (in a sister thread) both present interesting theories, both of which have some similarities and some of those similarities are shared with my own musings on the matter. This medium does not really allow for a massive treatise such as my own highly extensive teachings on the subject to be presented (for fear of incursion by bandwidth demons), so I shall instead point my fellow scholars to my own writings on "Life, the Multiverse, and Everything" at http://melkot.com/mysteries/multiverse.html

Please do read through it so you will know my own ideas on this fascinating subject. I'd really hate to post that 5300 word essay into this thread. ;-)

Tsillanabor begins with similar starting conditions as my own (a primordial chaos being a common theme suggested as initial conditions by many researchers), however, understandably given the above noted space limitations and the attention span of many visiting students ;-) there is an underlying incompleteness to both Tsillanabor's and Felix's hypotheses that I attempt to resolve in my own analysis. What existed before the Immaterium? Where did the Materium come from? What is the relationship between the chaos of the Immaterium and the entropy of the Negative Material plane? Where do the initial "creatures of the Immaterium" come from? Where did the Felix's beings of the Prime come from whose collective unconciousness formed the Astral (and all other later planes)? Where did that first Prime itself come from for that matter! (Or is this theory only to explain the outer planes, and not explain the origins of the rest of the multiverse? What was the actual mechanism by which all subsequent planes separate from the first/primary (Immaterium of Tsillanabor, Astral or Prime of Felix) plane? And what predictions can we make from each creation hypothesis that can be used as a test of that hypothesis when compared to the "present-day" conditions of the D&D multiverse?

I've posted this in an older, previous thread on the subject, however, with my own "Grand Unified Theory" (GUT) of the multiverse, I try to explain the creation of the physical multiverse (pre-mortal, pre-fiend, pre-god, pre-everybody and anybody!) and how the "rules" of the AD&D multiverse came about. The how and why of the physical structure of the planes (their organization, as well as specific features such as the Outlands' "Spire"), the origins of mortals and immortals and their relationships as well as their sources of power, the different natures of planes (such as the varying effects of magic and time) and how those planes change and interact, the imbuing of sentience without the need for complex brains (as in simple organisms like puddings; objects such as intelligent swords, elementals and intelligent clouds of electricity; even entire planes with awareness), the palpable nature of good, evil, law and chaos on so many levels, the twisting of time and dimension impossible with our own RealWorld physical laws (such as portable holes, teleportation, and time travel), the very source of magic and its laws... ALL can be explained with a sufficiently integrated GUT.

Now, having said all that I said in my treatise, there is no correct answer, of course! Every DM has his own creation myth, and rightly so! This is something I strongly believe should NOT be spelled out in the published rules. Only you know what fits best for your campaign multiverse. The discussion is fascinating though, and I yearn to hear the musings of others.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
============================
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more!

Last edited:

Tsillanabor

First Post
OOC: I agree-there is no right or wrong answer, each DM SHOULD work these thing out to reflect the way they WANT the planes to work. btw-Immaterium=Far Realm here if you didn't know. Back in character:

I will now attempt to defend my theory. One question that arises often is the origin of the Immaterium. The answer to this question is found in the nature of time itself.

One of the most unusual properties of the Immaterium is that no time passes on it. If it were not so inhospitable, I imagine many would take advantage of that fact. It was in an attempt to explain this phenomenon that I stumbled across the core idea of my theory-that the Immaterium is the natural state of the multiverse.

An ancient sage known as Stephen of Hawking once postulated that there is a correlation between matter and time. Without matter, time has no meaning. Therefore, the Immaterium literally exists out of time! Because chaos is the dominant trait of the Immaterium, occasionally matter is randomly created, possibly creating a new universe.

Further evidence may be found in another ancient sage's writings, where it is postulated that in a closed system, entropy tends to increase over time. Dissolution is the eventual fate of all of the universes. This reflects the return to the normal state of things-raw chaos.

Maldin

First Post
Tsillanabor said:
btw-Immaterium=Far Realm here if you didn't know.
Ah! I don't have any materials that use or reference the Far Realm, so I wouldn't have made that connection.

occasionally matter is randomly created, possibly creating a new universe.
New (and separate) universes (to possibly become new multiverses) are spawned from this, or new interconnected planes? And can creatures really live in a medium without time? No birth and death is possible?

Maldin
============================
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com

Tsillanabor

First Post
Maldin said:
New (and separate) universes (to possibly become new multiverses) are spawned from this, or new interconnected planes? And can creatures really live in a medium without time? No birth and death is possible?

As to your first question, note the following:
Versi said:
A new universe begins with an intrusion of matter into the Immaterium. The Immaterium reacts to the intrusion of matter by attempting to change (not destroy, simply change) the matter. Like a chemical reaction, this interaction of the Immaterium trying to change the matter and the matter trying to maintain its shape produces energy in the form of pure positive and negative energy. If the positive energy feeding the nascent Materium is stronger than the negative energy trying to destroy it, a stable system of Source Planes may form.
As for the second part, I'm not sure whether or not time exists for sentient creatures native to the Immaterium, I can only state that however much of one's own subjective time one spends there, no time passes within our universe. At the very least, time in the Immaterium is not at all connected with 'our' time.

To clarify-the Prime Material Planes, Astral Plane, Source Planes, and Spirit Planes-the whole system are what I consider a universe. The Multiverse is what I call the greater reality of many different universes (perhaps each with a different cosmology) floating, for lack of a better term, in the primordial chaos of the Immaterium.

Tsillanabor

First Post
Maldin said:
And can creatures really live in a medium without time? No birth and death is possible?
I have spent a lot of time thinking over the problem of Deep Immaterium creatures. I believe that they do not possess material forms unless a portion of their energies enters a plane where matter exists. When this occurs I think that their essences actually change pre-existing matter into a form for them to inhabit. I believe that the revulsion all creatures feel in the presence of what some have called 'pseudonatural' creatures is due to being in the presence of energies utterly inimical to what we believe is reality. If one spends too much time dealing with such beings, these same energies can corrupt the very body and mind.

Slife

First Post
Strange, that, for I heard just the other day that the planes are all Shadows of a central one... the chap who told it to me said something about the center of all worlds being made of fossilized tree sap or something. Honestly, I wasn't paying much attention, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Tsillanabor

First Post
OOC: HAAAHAHAHAHA!!!! Good one!

Back in character:
I have heard of this cosmology. I believe that the opposing poles between the Pattern of Law and the Twisting Path of Chaos are an interesting concept, but there are too many aspects of the multiverse left unexplained by the theory.

Remove ads